Happy 20th anniversary to Disney’s Animal Kingdom!

Big Red & Little Red not Old Red:) I'm actually sad they changed that up on the safari and got rid of them and that storyline.
There were supposed to be several more graphic scenes on the safari but due to guest feedback they were removed quite quickly.

The first time we went in 1999, there was a cave with a fire breathing creature living in it.

We saw it crossing over a bridge from Africa to Camp Minnie Mickey. It was so cool—just like Spot on the Munsters.

The festivities were very underwhelming in my opinion the ceremony was ‘canceled for weather’ according to a CM yet was just done inside for media and D23 members (Epcot’s was done despite a drizzle but I missed it to being in a merchandise line so was looking forward to today) and no commemorative button (not green I suppose)
Had to change plans for weather fears but still had a nice time

The festivities were very underwhelming in my opinion the ceremony was ‘canceled for weather’ according to a CM yet was just done inside for media and D23 members (Epcot’s was done despite a drizzle but I missed it to being in a merchandise line so was looking forward to today) and no commemorative button (not green I suppose)
Had to change plans for weather fears but still had a nice time
It is only 20 years so not as major as 25 or 50. Not all CMs were informed unfortunately. The ceremony was open for first come first serve so it was not only D23 and media.

There was a commemorative Disney Conservations Fund button which cost a dollar or so with proceeds going to the fund.

As a current vacation planner who picks up at DAK a lot, I can tell you that the new costumes are way more comfortable, especially the pants!

I'm sure! The shirts were cute, but the pants were never my favorite. Probably why I started wearing shorts as soon as I could (which as a DCP from WI was way earlier than any of my fellow CMs thought it should be :laughing:) and never looked back.

Little Red actually has a better gig. Haven't stopped by lately, but the truck was parked backstage at the entrance to a CM building with little red still in the back of the truck greeting CMs.

That was my favorite part of going back to Cast Services! Always made me smile seeing Little Red

It is only 20 years so not as major as 25 or 50. Not all CMs were informed unfortunately. The ceremony was open for first come first serve so it was not only D23 and media.

There was a commemorative Disney Conservations Fund button which cost a dollar or so with proceeds going to the fund.
Yea a donated a dollar for the conservation pin...Anyway while I’m bummed about my miscommunication I was able to get the shirts and tote I wanted

I do like that limited edition banshee. I got my orange and red one over Christmas. He has a name (of course), Cygnus. My boyfriend is in the process of 3d printing him a floating mountain perch. Eager to see how that will turn out.
Cool! I like the limited edition one too but already have a blue and yellow one.

I’d love to see the perch when it’s done.

We were at AK most of the day. It's by far my favorite park. I always say it's the only park that is never the same each trip. We spend more time there than all others. Epcot comes second.

I've posted already that traffic was a disaster due to the dark side half. What should have taken 10 min drive from Boardwalk took about 45 min. Even the buses were stuck. There was no bad weather at all. Never a drop off rain. Well, maybe 1 out 2 fell but that was well after the ceremony. We were looking at purple Martin houses

Oh, we got to hold a leaf from the tree of Life too. They are neat.

Once at the park no one really knew much about what was going on. Trying to get in line to buy the Anniversary stuff was a mess. One CM sent you one way. Another CM sent you another. We went in circles for a good 15 min. Finally got in line to shop and then another one to check out. They made the lines at Pandora look organized and short in comparison.

We had a great Safari and a great Path Less Traveled Tour. Got to see some elephant drama caused by no one was sure what. Just know all the sudden they started running and Stella was trumpeting. The matriarch had to calm everyone down
Got to see a sheep getting worked on up at Rafikis. Reproductive issues. Meet Jill the donkey.

We didn't bother trying to get the print or Joe's signature. First of all, I'll be honest, not Joe's best work. I'd never hang it. Secondly, we have a dinner with Joe on Wednesday.

I'd post pics but I can't seem to figure out how to upload from my phone so will have to wait till we are back from dinner

Last edited:
We were at AK most of the day. It's by far my favorite park. I always say it's the only park that is never the same each trip. We spend more time there than all others. Epcot comes second.

I've posted already that traffic was a disaster due to the dark side half. What should have taken 10 min drive from Boardwalk took about 45 min. Even the buses were stuck. There was no bad weather at all. Never a drop off rain. Well, maybe 1 out 2 fell but that was well after the ceremony. We were looking at purple Martin houses

Oh, we got to hold a leaf from the tree of Life too. They are neat.

Once at the park no one really knew much about what was going on. Trying to get in line to buy the because was a mess. One CM sent you one way. Another CM sent you another. We went in circles for a good 15 min. Finally got in line to shop and then another one to check out. They made the lines at Pandora look organized and short in comparison.

We had a great Safari and a great Path Less Traveled Tour. Got to see some elephant drama caused by no one was sure what. Just know all the sudden they started running and Stella was trumpeting. The matriarch had to calm everyone down
Got to see a sheep getting worked on up at Rafikis. Reproductive issues. Meet Jill the donkey.

We didn't bother trying to get the print or Joe's signature. First of all, I'll be honest, not Joe's best work. I'd never hang it. Secondly, we have a dinner with Joe on Wednesday.

I'd post pics but I can't seem to figure out how to upload from my phone so will have to wait till we are back from dinner
Sounds like a fun day despite some issues! Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter