Happiness in California

sweetbambi

Mouseketeer
We just got back from California and are missing it already! Me-grandmother, DH-grandfather(who hasn't been to Disneyland in 30 years), daughter, 12 yo grandson, and adorable 6 mo granddaughter stayed in Costa Mesa at a fantastic Priceline hotel in two suites for $76 a night total. On the 20th we arrived, got the rental car and went to La Brea to see the tarpits. My GS who is not easily impressed by anything that doesn't beep, require batteries, or plug in was fascinated by the actual dinosaur bones and the actual tar. He didn't want to leave. That night we ate at the Rainforest Cafe at South Coast Plaza(?) which was lots of fun but we were all jetlagged since we had flown in from GA.

22-Went to California Adventure and DGS enjoyed it immensely while the rest of us were distracted by the lack of shade. DH really liked Soarin' and we were all impressed by the California version of Tower of Terror. I do not ride roller coasters so mostly watched my DGD. Later that afternoon we went across the path to Disneyland, rode several rides, and were at our PS at the Blue Bayou on time but had to wait 45 minutes because we wanted to sit by the water. I have had a Gastric Bypass and so didn't order anything except an extra plate and they didn't even bat an eye at my request, nor did they at any restaurant during our trip. Sharing may have become the norm! The food was very good, especially the clam chowder which my grandson shared with me. He is germaphobic so this was an honor.

23-This was our Knotts Berry Farm day, one which I could not really enjoy since I got suntan lotion in both eyes due to my own stupidity and spent a lot of the day weeping. This was probably my GS favorite place because there were virtually no lines, although there were many school groups there. We ate at the restaurant and had the required chicken dinner which was very good. If you don't enjoy roller coasters, you won't care for Knotts Berry farm but I enjoyed it because I was with Family.

24-This was to have been a down day, so we went to the Queen Mary and the Long Beach aquarium. The aquarium was interesting, the QM was not really, however when my husband and DGS went on the Russian submarine they came out of it saying that it was the best part. If you go, go on the tour. We didn't and missed a lot. Plus there is a lot you can't see easily with a stroller.

25-Universal Hollywood day and a good day it was. We had a good time minus the rollercoasters and my husband thinks it's more fun than Florida's Universal and I agree. It wasn't too crowded, but a lot of unaccompanied young people.

26-Started off the Disney day with a character breakfast with Lilo and Stitch at Paradise Pier. It was my favorite character meal of all, including WDW as no one really bothered us and the characters let my granddaughter pat them as much as she wanted. We have a good picture of her chewing on Pluto's nose! I had to pay for the full meal even though I didn't eat as much as a kid, but I figure that before I had the surgery I ate twice as much as most adults so....After we went to the parks, where it was a little more crowded but not too bad.We all got to ride our favorites without too much waiting and the kid switch worked well. California's Buzz Lightyear is much better than WDW's!

27-Our last day! We started the day by going to Trader Joe's since I had read so much about them. Wish we had one in Atlanta as we were very impressed by the wine prices. My husband even brought back two bottles of the $2 stuff wrapped in our dirty clothes. We then went to the Disney character outlet and only spent $50 there! We got to the parks at lunch time and ate at the Rainforest one last time-it is DGS favorite where my husband gave me a quarter of his cheeseburger. The parks were very crowded and we didn't get to ride a lot. However, my daughter was able to get a beautiful picture of my gorgeous granddaughter in her Snow White dress being held by Snow White. We left after the fireworks which we really enjoyed.

We really enjoyed our trip although we had too many things to do in too few days. Also we had purchased an Entertainer book which more than paid for itself and was one of the smarter things we did. Before we had even left the airport we got an upgrade on the rental car. We also used it for Queen Mary tickets, Aquarium tickets, Knotts berry Farm tickets and restaurant meals. All in all, we are very happy.

Kathy

Thanks for sharing your report, Kathy! Sounds like a lot to do in such short time. BTW, you can't go wrong with $2 Bucks Chucks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter