Happiest Place on Earth must be the Closest thing to Heaven - A trip of Justification

thewesterberg

DIS Veteran
This is my first whirl at doing a TR. Our family went to WDW back in September and I thought about doing it, but I could barely remember my name after that trip let alone the details. But this trip to DL was a long weekend adventure in February, sans family so that meant more brain cells that could focus on the details vs. making sure I packed enough coloring books, where's the sippy cup, let's keep everybody somewhat happy, you're hungry again?!?, what do you mean you're done with rides, it's 100 out here and I'm melting type moments that left me virtual incapable of writing about the trip. I remember it in generalities, not details.

So without further ado, here's the background and the introductions for the Cast of this Disneyland adventure.

I work as a youth and family ministry director for a church in northern Minnesota. Each year our denomination holds an annual meeting for those adults who work in youth ministry – think youth gathering minus the kids, and since we’re Lutheran, there are adult beverages that make the occasional appearance after the meetings - We know how to have a good time and get some stuff done too. I’ve attended 2 of these meetings in the past, but the last 2 years decided to do my continuing education on a smaller scale. So while all my other youth director buddies headed to Phoenix, I went to Fargo with a friend to get some books smarts. Sunshine vs. a long weekend in a raging blizzard in a car that the heat went out. What were we thinking?!?! Well when this year’s location came out, there was no doubt in my mind where I would February 7-11. Think warm skies, waves crashing into the beach, palm trees, friends, and a Mouse that needed to see me. We’re going to DISNEYLAND (oh, and some workshops too!)

Meet the cast –

Me – 29 years old, the deal finder, tour guide, Disney freak. Wife to a great DH and mom to our energetic DS4. But I’m leaving them behind this trip! Sorry guys! And I’m the bad influence that says it’s okay for us to get away from the hotel and experience some magic! If we’re going to the happiest place on earth, that must be the closest thing to heaven, right? Am I right? Come on, you know I’m right! I’m good at justifying.

Minnie – that’s what we’ll call her. You find out why later in the TR. We have similar jobs on different sides of our town. 2 years ago we brought our youth groups to our church’s national gathering in Texas. That meant riding on a coach bus with teenagers from Northern Minnesota all the way to the other side of the country. We got along just peachy. While we shared about heaven with our kids, we all experienced the temps of hell on our bus - the A/C went out in the bus – it was July. It was hot. Like 100 degrees in there. With teenagers. Yet we laughed and made the best of it as we endured these conditions from San Antonio to Kansas City, where we got a new bus. We thought if we could survive that and still talk, we ought to be roommates for this trip. And she’s going to WDW next week with her family, so this was her warm up. I’m trying not to be jealous. This was her first trip to DL.

Mickey – (this Mickey’s a gal). I’ll call her this since she’s the leader of the “club” of youth directors in our area. She supports us and brings us to together to do youth ministry on a larger scale up in our neck of the woods. While she was responsible and did her meetings the first day Minnie and I went to Disneyland (and no, we weren’t irresponsible – we’re just regular-jo youth directors and didn’t have any meetings!), she decided she could use a little R&R and get some screams on over at DL with us Saturday afternoon.

Mulan – Why Mulan? Well, I barely knew our last cohort before this trip, but in our time together I learned she that family and friends are important in her life, she shows great passion in what she believes in, all while being a modest person. She may have been a somewhat stranger before the trip, but me and Minnie thought - we do the same job, we’re all married, we all have younger kids – we should probably get along just fine! I’m so glad we got to know each other! Since she wasn’t getting into town until Friday evening, she couldn’t join Minnie and I the first day, but she was up to making her first trip ever to DL with us on Saturday. This was practically her first trip to any Disney. The last time she was to WDW, she was 3. After close to 30 years, it’s only right that we get her back there. It’s a tough job, but somebody’s gotta do it!

Up Next: It's Butt Freakin' Cold in MN and We're Outta There!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter