Handicap cabins st fort wilderness

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by The Mac's, Jan 7, 2018.

1. The Mac's

The Mac's Earning My Ears

we will be going to Disney August 2018 and staying at handicap cabins at fort wilderness camp ground. Can anyone tell me where the handicap cabins are located and is there a ramp to get in. Does anyone have pictures of the handicap cabins. Has anyone stayed there before and is it dificult to get around I know it is rather large area.

2. WonderlandisReality

WonderlandisReality Mouseketeer

I might be wrong but I think that they are located in loops 2800 and 2600. Yes, they have a ramp. Disclaimer: Never stayed in one.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. tinkerjo

tinkerjo Crazy Disney nut

It has been a while and I have never stayed in them either, but I do remember them having ramps and at the start of the loop near transportation

The Mac's likes this.
  5. The Mac's

My son and his family will be staying at the campground. I didn’t know how far away they would be from us. We are renting a scooter to be delivered to fort wilderness. Hoping it will be easier to get to the parks.

6. WonderlandisReality

WonderlandisReality Mouseketeer

Fort Wilderness is massive. Loop 2800 is about as far away from the campsites as it could be. You would be quite close (the closest one can get) to the bus to the other parks, but ~1 mile away from the boat to the MK. Years ago, when we visited there the people we were visiting had a golf cart just to get around the Fort Wilderness area. I assume you could rent them from Disney right there but they are probably inordinately expensive.

7. Hoodie

Hoodie <font color=purple>Going to BC and GF with one wee

Golf carts can be rented via Disney for $59/day. You should call and make advance reservations though if you are interested because they do sell out.

8. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

The Mac's likes this.
  9. tobikaye

tobikaye DIS Veteran

10. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

We *love* staying at the Fort; the Cabins are quite comfy, and everyone there is so friendly that you will never want to go back to a "regular" Disney Resort again! :)

The "worst" thing (for me) is simply how far it is to food service; you have to catch a bus to get around to the Settlement to fill your mug! :) Once you get the hang of the internal bus system, though, it's actually pretty easy and doesn't take too long (depends on the number of people who get on/off at the stops in between) to make the round trip; maybe 30 minutes via bus?

You *can* take the sidewalks and paths all the way across, but I think it will take longer than waiting for the bus, and you will be walking/wheeling/scootering quite a ways just for a round trip for food service.

When we stay there, we tend to bring in lots of food and beverages with us, just so that we don't spend all our time going back and forth to the quick service. The only thing the kitchen lacks is an oven (after the remodel, you have a microwave, stove top, toaster, full size fridge and dishwasher) so we bring along food we can heat up in either the microwave or on the stove top.

I've never done laundry there, so I can't speak to how awkward that is, lugging your dirty clothes down on the bus... :)

11. bluecruiser

bluecruiser DIS Veteran

Looks like it's a combination convection/microwave oven, according to the Disney Moms panel:

mamabunny likes this.
  12. dismom57

dismom57 Mouseketeer

Depending on your needs, the roll in shower cabins are in 2800 and 2500 (only 2). We tend to request cabins near the opening of the loops for ease of wheelchair pushing. All the ADA cabins have ramps, the roll in shower style has a wider hallway. We love the cabins have stayed upwards of 10 times, never had an issue with internal transportation. Just plan your timing to include these extra buses, for us it is one of the best parts of the trip.

mamabunny and The Mac's like this.
  13. The Mac's

That was just what I was looking for. Thank you so much for the information!!!!