HalloweenTime at DLR Info and Photo Superthread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Sherry for all the wonderfull pictures you are posting. I can't wait untill you get the new thread up. I will post pictures of costumes I will be wearing this year at MHP. I just wanted to let everyone know that MNSSHP is not as good as MHP!!. I know I will be going at least three times this year to MHP. I know I want to go on Halloween night this year. It's been since 2008 when I wen on Halloween night and that is when it was a DCA.

Just want to mark my place here so I know when the new thread is up and running :thumbsup2

We'll be going to DLR in early September, leaving on the 15th or 16th. So I REALLY hope Halloween time starts in time for us! It would be a great novelty since it's not really a 'thing' in Australia. I know I won't get to go to a party, I just want to ride the HM and Space holiday editions, and see all the pretty decorations :goodvibes

Also hanging out for a September thread to be created, hopefully someone will do one soon!

Oh my gosh, Sherry, you have the best decorating ideas. Cozy Cone witches hats! Disney needs to bring you aboard as part of their decorating team.

Hi Sherry - I don't recall the music being as obvious as it is during ChristmasTime. Last year, I remember hearing "This is Halloween" (from NBC) a lot throughout the parks (the Cadaver Dans sang it, as did Mad T). I remember hearing NBC-sounding music over in NOS (which makes sense given that HMH was running). I agree that I think there was some type of Halloween-sounding instrumental over in Frontierland/Big Thunder Ranch area. Not much elsewhere (unless you could the screaming ghost over by Space).

I remember laughing that there must not be to much Halloween-music that Disney has access to because "This is Halloween" seemed to be playing everywhere! I like the song, but it was funny because Mad T did that song with every set I heard, whereas at Christmas they mixed up the holiday song(s).

Sherry, I haven't been to MHP at all, so have no idea what music they play. But we did do MNSSHP a few years ago and the music was awesome. For anyone looking for Disney related Halloween music, they sold a CD called "Magic Kingdom Event Music" that had a number of songs they played during the party. I play it every Halloween season even though we haven't been back to Disney that time of year since that one trip.

Sherry, I haven't been to MHP at all, so have no idea what music they play. But we did do MNSSHP a few years ago and the music was awesome. For anyone looking for Disney related Halloween music, they sold a CD called "Magic Kingdom Event Music" that had a number of songs they played during the party. I play it every Halloween season even though we haven't been back to Disney that time of year since that one trip.

I love that CD, but sadly I'm not sure how easily it is to get it outside of WDW... I have it as well and play it during HalloweenTime. Disneyland uses parts of Boo-to-You during the Cavalcade and Screams (fireworks), but not the entire sequence.

Hi, Kristin!:wave:

I can't believe how quickly time is flying by. I remember when you were first moving away and would have to miss your first Halloween Time at DLR. Now we're already inching up on the second Halloween season that you'll be missing?

You have been to WDW for their version of Halloween Time, haven't you (even though it's not really called Halloween Time at WDW)? In photos I have seen a lot of things that look interesting to me about the WDW Halloween things, but I think I prefer the DLR decorations.

I actually have never been to WDW. I am going through DL withdrawals right now!! It's been over a year since my last trip :guilty: I finish college next Spring and will be moving back to LA with hopefully a job at Disney :woohoo:

I have the Halloween Screams fireworks soundtrack, but any other music I remember during the parties was mainly just Nightmare Before Christmas music

So, let's make a date, shall we?

Let's plan to meet up in the brand new Halloween Time Superthread on or after May 1st! That is Thursday -- 4 days from now -- and the date is easy to remember! I will start the new thread sometime before then (maybe in the wee hours of the morning, 'neath the cover of darkness) -- and even if I have to just block the posts on page 1 (which will have specific topics in them) and fill them in as time rolls on, I will do it that way.

The important thing is that the new thread will be started, and contributors such as figment_jii and Kilala (and hopefully others) will feel free to post their photos and discuss the season's details -- without fear of hitting the end of the thread just before it is closed!

Think of it as moving into a new home. I'll be setting up the home and unpacking the boxes in different rooms, and then rearranging things when I decide that I don't like where I have placed them :-)headache:), while you all move in and get comfy in the living room!:rotfl2: Who's ordering the pizza?:rotfl2::rotfl2:

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

I've only been to the party once in 2012 and we really enjoyed ourselves. We'll be going 9/28-10/3 this year. Based on what I've read here, do you think there will be a party on Tue. 9/30? Our dates really aren't that flexible as we will be driving from Portland and I don't want my daughter missing more school than she already is. Thanks for your input!

I've only been to the party once in 2012 and we really enjoyed ourselves. We'll be going 9/28-10/3 this year. Based on what I've read here, do you think there will be a party on Tue. 9/30? Our dates really aren't that flexible as we will be driving from Portland and I don't want my daughter missing more school than she already is. Thanks for your input!

cinderbellasmom --

Hello!:wave:

If I were to guess, based on the last couple of years' schedules for the MHP I would say that, yes, Tuesday, 9/30 is a good bet for a party date. Possibly even Monday, 9/29 instead of 9/30. Sometimes DLR has had private events (corporations rent out the parks for various parties) for which DL has had to close early, and there have been times in the past when they have switched the MHP to Monday instead of Tuesday for that one week only -- but that remains to be seen for this year.

In any case, I am fairly positive there will be an MHP on either 9/29 or 9/30, with 9/30 being the most likely date!

Thank you Sherry! Much appreciated!

No problem! You're very welcome. I am happy to help.

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

As I was just posting in my Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread it suddenly dawned on me that the last year in which Halloween fell on a Friday was 2008. In 2008, Halloween Time lasted through Sunday, November 2nd, if I am remembering correctly. (That was also the year when the holiday season started later than usual in November.)

Is it possible that Halloween Time could extend through November 2nd again this year? :idea::idea:

In 2008 the Halloween Time season was a bit "bigger" than it is now and maybe there was more of a reason to extend it. Or, maybe it just isn't practical to take down the Halloween Time stuff after a Friday night MHP, going into the weekend?

Hmmm...something to ponder...

:dancer::dancer:

Just out of curiosity and for the sake of comparison I looked up the start and end dates for Halloween Time since it has been an actual "season" at DLR (it started in 2006, but my first Halloween Time experience was in 2007).

As you will see, there are 2 years (2008 and 2009) in which Halloween Time had a rather late end (in November) -- and those were the years in which Halloween fell on a Friday and Saturday, respectively.

Here are the historical dates:

• Friday, September 29 – Tuesday, October 31, 2006
  • Friday, September 21 – Wednesday, October 31, 2007
  • Friday, September 26 – Sunday, November 2, 2008
  • Friday, September 25 – Sunday, November 1, 2009
  • Friday, September 17 – Sunday, October 31, 2010
  • Friday, September 16 – Monday, October 31, 2011
  • Friday, September 14 – Wednesday, October 31, 2012
  • Friday, September 13 – Thursday, October 31, 2013

So what does all of this tell us? Well, we cannot be sure but it seems like it is a reasonably sound indicator that Halloween Time might end on Sunday, November 2nd this year and on Sunday, November 1st in 2015. Maybe. (And that could end up bumping the holiday season to a slightly later start date, just by a couple of days or so.)

Sherry that is last year I attended MHP on Halloween night (2008). I will be doing it again on Halloween this year. along with 3 other dates

Let's plan to meet up in the brand new Halloween Time Superthread on or after May 1st! That is Thursday -- 4 days from now -- and the date is easy to remember!

Sounds good to me! :)

Is it possible that Halloween Time could extend through November 2nd again this year? :idea::idea:
Wasn't MHP over in DCA in 2008? I think they could extend HalloweenTime until 11/2 this year (it would make sense to me to have the Halloween Carnival open through the weekend). Aside from that (and the decorations) there isn't really as much that ends with HalloweenTime as with the end of the Holiday season (no Halloween parade or fireworks show to stop running, only one ride to take down (SMGG)). So I can see them keeping the Carnival and SMGG running through Sunday and then ending it at that point (one more weekend of "special" activities to drawn in locals!). I don't think they'll add an additional post-Halloween MHP however. WDW used to have the last MNSSHP on 11/1 or 11/2, but this year they did not include it in the preliminary November calendars, which was a surprise to a lot of WDW planners.

Honestly, I think the Avengers Half Marathon is the biggest wild card of them all for the start of the holidays! We don't have any historic information to use to base our guesses for this year on!

We can't let the third HalloweenTime SuperThread go without any posts on it's last few day!

Let's see...these were a few of my favorite pumpkins from last year (yes, I've posted these before...but...given that this thread is ending soon...)

Ursula! I would love to be able to carve a pumpkin like this.
DSC_0113_zps62e09364.jpg

Stitch! Stitch is one of my favorite characters. I liked the idea of slighly carving the pumpkin and then painting a picture on it. I bet it lasts a lot longer.
DSC_0150_zps8519e33b.jpg

This is one of those days where I find myself speeding ahead to autumn in my mind!:rotfl2:

According to my local news' weather report this morning, it is supposed to be 91 degrees today :furious: (it was 71 degrees 2 days ago), and then in the 90's for the next few days as well. It's not even May yet, and it's already hot. If it is this warm right now, I just can't wait to see what summer has in store (and yes, I am being sarcastic!). While some states have just crawled out of a Polar Vortex, I wouldn't be shocked if other states are suddenly plunged into a Solar Vortex!:sunny: Boooooo to all Vortexes of any kind! How about just a nice, reasonable temperature like 73 degrees? That should make everyone happy.

So I am trying to will autumn to get here in hopes it will arrive sooner than usual!:rotfl2:

We can't let the third HalloweenTime SuperThread go without any posts on it's last few day!

Let's see...these were a few of my favorite pumpkins from last year (yes, I've posted these before...but...given that this thread is ending soon...)

Ursula! I would love to be able to carve a pumpkin like this.
DSC_0113_zps62e09364.jpg

Stitch! Stitch is one of my favorite characters. I liked the idea of slighly carving the pumpkin and then painting a picture on it. I bet it lasts a lot longer.
DSC_0150_zps8519e33b.jpg

Great pictures, figment_jii! We must send this thread off in style!

I love those pumpkins, and I love that whole pumpkin carving area of the Carnival/Roundup. That spot is one of the best things about the entire Halloween Time season, in my opinion, because it is constantly evolving and changing as the season rolls along. What you see on the first day of Halloween Time will probably not be what you see there on the last day of Halloween Time, and certain pumpkins have a shorter lifespan than others.

Your photos also do a good job of showing that there are basically two types of pumpkins at the pumpkin carving station of the Carnival: The ones that are exquisitely carved and shaped into characters (like Ursula, or like the Yoda pumpkin I posted a photo of recently), and the ones that have images painted on them (and the pumpkin is essentially used as a canvas).

I agree -- I wish I could create something like that! I cannot carve a basic pumpkin to save my life, let alone an intricate work of art.

I forgot to reply earlier -- yes, you're correct that the Halloween party was still being held in DCA in 2008 (and in 2009). That was the "Mickey's Trick or Treat Party" version of it. The party didn't become the MHP and move into Disneyland until 2010, which was also, sadly, when Candy Corn Acres disappeared forever.:(

I think the MHP will definitely end on 10/31 this year, but I think there is a good chance of Halloween Time ending on 11/2 if we are going to use 2008 and 2009 as any kind of predictors.

Next year (2015) will be really interesting, because Halloween will fall on a Saturday. When was the last time there was a Saturday night Halloween party? It's been a long time, I assume? Maybe back in the days when it was MTOTP? There would have to be a Saturday night party in 2015, as Disney always has a party on Halloween night.

Next year (2015) will be really interesting, because Halloween will fall on a Saturday. When was the last time there was a Saturday night Halloween party? It's been a long time, I assume? Maybe back in the days when it was MTOTP? There would have to be a Saturday night party in 2015, as Disney always has a party on Halloween night.
I looked up 2009, the last year when Halloween fell on a Saturday. According to Allears.net, they had a party of Halloween night. However, the other dates of the parties are so widely different from last year's MHP schedule, we probably can't draw to much info from it.

Still, if I were a betting person, I would bet on a party on Halloween night even if it is a Saturday. Maybe they'd forgo the Friday night party and have it on Saturday instead or, if the parties continue to sell out this year, maybe they'd do both Friday and Saturday parties figuring it isn't to often that they have to "close" DL early for consecutive days. There will be guests that complain, but I bet that both parties would sell out.

We're debating going out 10/13 through 10/19, with 13th and 19th being travel days. 5 day passes for 14th-18th. I'd expect Fri/Sat to be busy, but what to expect for Tue-Thu? We generally go in late Feb and experience low crowds (relatively). This link http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/atend.htm shows low crowds (even lower than Feb!) for most days in October except Columbus Day. Is that accurate?

Thanks!

We're debating going out 10/13 through 10/19, with 13th and 19th being travel days. 5 day passes for 14th-18th. I'd expect Fri/Sat to be busy, but what to expect for Tue-Thu? We generally go in late Feb and experience low crowds (relatively). This link http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/atend.htm shows low crowds (even lower than Feb!) for most days in October except Columbus Day. Is that accurate?

I've never heard of that website, but when I looked around a bit, it looks like they're using TouringPlans.com's information to build their park estimates. Folks on this board are somewhat skeptical about TouringPlans information for DLR. So I think you can use the info from places like Touring Plans, but don't expect it to be completely accurate (e.g., ballpark estimates at best). Some folks have been recommending isitpacked.com, but I haven't used it enough to have a good sense for whether it's accurate or not.

I think, for the most part, you'll be okay on Tue through Thu in October, with a few exceptions. Utah schools (I don't know if it's all of them or just some) have 10/16-17 off, so there might be an influx of crowds due to kids having a four day weekend. So that Thu might be busier than normal.

If the schedule stays the same as last year, there will probably be MHPs on Tue (10/14), which means short hours in DL, but you could go to MHP if you're there (hard ticket event, so you'd need to buy a ticket, but it's a lot of fun).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter