Halloween Horror Nights

Do you think that you need to watch these shows and/or be a fan of horror movies to enjoy this event. My daughter LOVES haunted houses. She has said before that she would really like to find a scarier one than the local place that runs 5 houses each year. Do you think this would be a good event for someone that likes scary haunted house but doesn't really watch these shows?

Thanks...
Jess

There were 9 Houses last year

1. American Horror Stories (was based on 3 seasons Asylum, Coven and Roanoke)

2. Dead Waters

3. ScareCrow The Reaping

4. The Shining

5. BlumHouse

6. Ash VS Evil Dead

7. The Fallen

8. Hive

9. Saw

As you can see 5 were based on movies and 4 were created by Universal.

There were also 5 scare zones

1. Alters of Horror

2. Purge

3. Invasion

4. Trick 'r Treat

5. Festival of the Deadliest.

Two shows

Bill and Ted's Exellent Halloween Adventure (was last year for that in 2017)

The Academy Of Villians: Afterlife

There is also HHN merchandise.

Hope this helps. Everyone is looking forward to seeing what happens this year.

As noted above read last years official sticky. Packed with lots of information.

Do you think that you need to watch these shows and/or be a fan of horror movies to enjoy this event. My daughter LOVES haunted houses. She has said before that she would really like to find a scarier one than the local place that runs 5 houses each year. Do you think this would be a good event for someone that likes scary haunted house but doesn't really watch these shows?

Thanks...
Jess

Yes, they are fabulous as stand alone scary houses, knowing the storylines of the main ones does illuminate the details they put into them. It really does enhance the experience........

But, I would say, yes you can definitely still enjoy every detail without knowing the back story.....it`s an amazing event and I`m sure your daughter would love it.........

Thanks...
Jess
I had not seen some of the movies\series and I still appreciated them and had a great time.

That being said I have since had the time to watch them and wish I had done so before I went.
For example if you had not seen the movie Trick 'r Treat you really cant appreciate what a great job they did. Yes I enjoyed the area and I was impressed by it - but after watching the move I was even more impressed

Last edited:
I agree with the above posters. I don't really have any interest in horror movies, but I still enjoy the houses. I'm sure there are things that I miss because I am not familiar with the source, but they are still a ton of fun.

Thinking of some that we have been through:

HHN 24
  • Alien vs. Predator - never saw Alien but knew enough references, liked Predator when I saw it years ago. Enjoyed the house and don't think I missed much.
  • Halloween - hadn't seen the movie, but knew references. I din't think I missed much. I saw the movie after going through the house and thought, "Wow! They really nailed the look and feel."
  • The Walking Dead - watched most of the episodes up to that point. Didn't care for the house much, but the best part was recognizing scenes from the show.
  • From Duck Till Dawn - we watched season 1 on streaming right before we went. I think it helped a lot on this one. I wouldn't have had any idea what was going on without seeing the show, but I probably still would have enjoyed the scenery and scares.
HHN 26
  • American Horror Story - never saw the show, didn't know any references. Had no idea what I was looking at, but it all looked great. lol
  • Walking Dead - I honestly don't even remember what was in that one.
  • Texas Chainsaw - hadn't seen the movie, didn't know references. Enjoyed the house. Watched the movie after and, like Halloween, felt they nailed it.
  • Halloween II - watched the movie before we went. Loved the house and recognizing things from the movie.
  • Krampus - never saw it, didn't know anything about it. I probably missed a ton in this house. It was fun, but I didn't know what was going on.
So, after writing all of this, I think the houses are enjoyable without knowing the source - they are so well done - but knowing the source material probably gives you an extra level.

If we go again this year, and we are hoping we can, I probably won't go out of my way to watch the sources I haven't seen.

I agree with the above posters. I don't really have any interest in horror movies, but I still enjoy the houses. I'm sure there are things that I miss because I am not familiar with the source, but they are still a ton of fun.

Thinking of some that we have been through:

HHN 24
  • Alien vs. Predator - never saw Alien but knew enough references, liked Predator when I saw it years ago. Enjoyed the house and don't think I missed much.
  • Halloween - hadn't seen the movie, but knew references. I din't think I missed much. I saw the movie after going through the house and thought, "Wow! They really nailed the look and feel."
  • The Walking Dead - watched most of the episodes up to that point. Didn't care for the house much, but the best part was recognizing scenes from the show.
  • From Duck Till Dawn - we watched season 1 on streaming right before we went. I think it helped a lot on this one. I wouldn't have had any idea what was going on without seeing the show, but I probably still would have enjoyed the scenery and scares.
HHN 26
  • American Horror Story - never saw the show, didn't know any references. Had no idea what I was looking at, but it all looked great. lol
  • Walking Dead - I honestly don't even remember what was in that one.
  • Texas Chainsaw - hadn't seen the movie, didn't know references. Enjoyed the house. Watched the movie after and, like Halloween, felt they nailed it.
  • Halloween II - watched the movie before we went. Loved the house and recognizing things from the movie.
  • Krampus - never saw it, didn't know anything about it. I probably missed a ton in this house. It was fun, but I didn't know what was going on.
So, after writing all of this, I think the houses are enjoyable without knowing the source - they are so well done - but knowing the source material probably gives you an extra level.

If we go again this year, and we are hoping we can, I probably won't go out of my way to watch the sources I haven't seen.

They certainly did nail the Halloween house to perfection!!! One of my all time favourite houses in recent years........and movie too......:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!