Halloween Fun at WDW

Angelrose

But I LIKE boring!
HALLOWEEN FUN AT WDW

Hello, my name is Mary and this will be our second trip to WDW this year. I’m going with my son Chuck, my daughter in law Karen, my grandson Jesse age 10 and my granddaughter Zoey age 8.

I’ve been looking forward to this trip since we returned from our trip in April. Because of health issues I will need to use a scooter again and will need a wheelchair at both airports. This means I will be among the first to board, YAYYYY, and I have an aisle seat. It also means I will be among the last to deplane, BOOOO.

My family is driving down and left on the 5th of October around 4pm. That makes it easier on me for them to take my luggage so all I have to carry is my purse and cane.

My cousin Joan picked me up a little before 5am to drive me to the airport. She is so sweet to do this for me and to pick me up on the 13th around noon.

I got my wheelchair and got through security with no problems and sat down to wait for my flight. It arrived right on time and I boarded. There was already a lady in the window seat so I knew not to get comfortable in the aisle seat because there would be someone in the middle seat. We are ready to take off with good weather.

We arrived a good 15 minutes ahead of time, but our place at the airport was still being occupied by another plane. So we arrived at our scheduled time anyway. My wheelchair was ready for me and we got to where you go to baggage either A or B. I told the woman it was B, and she asked to see my flight paper which stated it was A only for certain airlines. She took that to mean we had to go down A because it stated it was right by the escalator. I told her there was also an escalator by B, but to A we went. What do you know? My Mears ride was not there. She called and found out we should have gone to B. What a shock! My Mears ride was waiting for me right where he should be and we took off to Davensport where we had a condo in the Champions Gate community. We got there in good time and mercifully the driver didn’t want to chat. I just wanted to sit in peaceful silence and watch the scenery. We reached our condo and I got out, thanked him and opened the door to my grandkids and son greeting me with hugs. My daughter in law was getting some much needed sleep from the long drive. Jesse and Zoey couldn’t wait to show me their room. It was all decorated as if it was a pirate ship with two beds and a sculpture of Capt. Jack on the wall. Everything in the room was pirate themed. Even the kitchen had a pirate chandelier. It was a beautiful place with a small pool in the back.
I went to my beautiful room and freshened up for our first day at Magic Kingdom.

Chuck loaded my scooter into the car and off we went. I just love our first walk down Main Street. Our first fastpass was for Thunder Mountain. Then we went on Buzz and my score was pitiful as usual. Chuck’s was the highest it can go. He knows all the tricks to get a high score. I do too but somehow it doesn’t work for me. Our next stop was the Carousel of Progress. Now I could sit through a few shows of this at least, but we only did one. I just love it.

Chuck and Jesse went on Mission to Mars and the ladies all went into the big tent to do some shopping. I got a cookie and churro flavored popcorn. YUMMMMMMM!
When Chuck and Jesse came back the kids went on the Barnstormer. Then my favorite ride. It was time for our fastpass to Peter Pan. I wave to Nana and OFF WE GOOOOOOO!

The hunger hit and we went to Cosmic Rays. Since I am going off my short notes and didn’t write them up while there, I have no idea what we ate, but it was good as it always is.

Next we went on the People Mover, but Jesse went on the Speedway. After watching the world go by and seeing Space Mountain all lit up we picked up Jesse and decided that we were all tired and needed a good night’s sleep. We had a wonderful day.

October 7 – Our day started with riding Frozen at Epcot’s Norway. We had a fastpass but still had to wait a few minutes to get on. It’s a really cute ride and we all love it. Jesse says it’s just OK. When we got off the ride we went through the store and Zoey just had to have one of the dolls there. She was smiling ear to ear when she got it. We all went to the bakery and got goodies. Karen and I got the school bread. That is always my favorite. Then we went on Soarin’. Even though I know it’s just the chairs moving I always lift my feet when we go over the mountain. LOL

Now my favorite part, the Food and Wine festival. Our first taste was the lamb pork chop from Australia and the lamb meatball from New Zealand. We got this two years ago and was still so good.

This year they gave out these little guides that showed every country and what was on their menu. There were little stickers that you put on the country when you tasted their food. It was a really cute idea and we all did it. Hopefully they will make an app for that for smart phones in the near future. It doesn’t apply to me since I have a dumb phone or as Karen calls it, Captain Flippy.

Next we tasted the pork slider at Hawaii and the roasted Irish sausage. Oh that was goooood. Now on to Canada for the cheese soup and pretzel bread. That soup is so good I could bathe in it. Unfortunate, I could only eat half of it and gave Zoey my Pretzel bread which she loved to dunk in the soup. We had our tummies full and we went to go Find Nemo. We found him! Now my favorite part…..SHOPPING at Mousegears. Sadly I couldn’t find anything that screamed BUY ME. So we went back to the festival and had roasted pork wings with Korean barbeque from Flavors from Fire. Add another stamp. I found that even if I just had a mouthful of the countries food I would put a stamp on it. I didn’t find anything that I didn’t like anywhere we stopped.

Next was our fastpass for Test Track. Chuck helps me design the dorkiest car he can come up with. We were just about to go on the ride when a thunderstorm struck and we had to leave. We heard the Voices of Liberty and then the American Adventure. This is another show that I could watch over and over again. We had the beef slider from the American Adventure. Then of course we had to have funnel cake. But this wasn’t just any funnel cake. Oh no! This was funnel cake with maple ice cream topped with candied bacon. We all shared in this delight. I think we all wobbled a bit after eating all those goodies today. We went back and did Test Track and the cars we designed were still there. That was fun. Our last ride on the way is always Spaceship earth. This is traditional with our family. This was a wonderful day and we were all ready for our beds.

October 8 – Our first ride was the Slinky Dog coaster. We just waited in line for this I think. This was a really cute ride and everyone loved it. Now for the life of me I can’t read my own scribbled notes for what we did after. It looks like Alcenoo swirling sauces. That’s probably not what I had tried to write. LOL But after that we had breakfast someplace. Then we went shopping again and I found a cute night shirt. Then we had fastpasses for Indiana Jones. Jesse and Chuck love this and so do Karen and I. Zoey wasn’t thrilled. Now we had lunch somewhere and I’m sure it was good. There were some rain showers so we looked in more stores. Now it was time for our fastpasses for Tower of Terror. They must have had a shutdown because everyone in the world was in the fastpass line. They told us the fastpasses were good all day. We went to see the Little Mermaid and Zoey was so happy to see this again. She loves mermaids and will be one for the Halloween party.
We tried Tower of Terror again and got on this time with no problem. Our last ride was the Rock n Roller Coaster. Chuck asked Jesse if he wanted to ride but he decided to stay with me. Zoey said she would go on with daddy. That was before she noticed that they were in the first car. She screamed and cried the whole time, poor thing. She had gone on it before but just not in the first car. Daddy had to carry her out and the only thing that would make her happy was a stuffed animal. LOL The day ended on a happy note and we went home. We went into the heated pool for a while and that was just perfect. We all had a good night’s sleep.

October 9 – Back to Magic Kingdom today. We had fastpasses for the Dwarves Mine Train. Oh this was a beautiful and fun ride. I just love all the jewels. After that we had fastpasses for Peter Pan again. Next was Thunder Mountain. These rides never get old. We went to Pecos Bills for lunch. We ordered from Karen’s phone and then they text you when it’s ready. Much better than standing in line. We always enjoy eating here.
Our next fastpass was for Pirates. Then Jungle Cruise. Then Mary had her own little adventure. Chuck and Jesse went off to Space Mountain and Karen, Zoey and I went off on our own. Karen and Zoey were about 5 feet in front of me where there was a ramp. Somehow I thought there was another ramp right by me. Karen said something but I didn’t quite hear her. I kept on when I heard her shout STOP, but by that time I was…….headed off the curb. As my front wheels went down, I thought, “Oh that’s what she said”. I wasn’t hurt at all and I was laughing at my own stupidity. I only saw one cast member, but Karen said there were FIVE! All asking if I was OK. Karen came running and asked the same thing. I was still laughing and Karen said I had scared the stuffings out of them. I just didn’t hear her warnings until it was too late. There was another gentleman asking if I was OK also. There were a few people just laughing along with me and I told them I was here all week. LOL Then my little Sugar Plum Zoey yelled at me, “Grandmom, when we say stop you stop”. I was still laughing when she shook her little finger at me and said, “Grandmom! I am serious, you stop when we say stop. Poor little thing I really scared her and everyone around me. I apologized to her and Karen. Note to self, get hearing checked when we get home. I am having trouble hearing so this is a must.

After that little adventure, Chuck and Jesse went on the speedway and Karen, Zoey and I went on It’s a Small world. When we got out it was RAINING! We waited it out and then went on Haunted Mansion.

It was now time for the Halloween Party to start. We did some Trick or Treating and Chuck and Jesse went on Space Mountain and the Speedway yet again. I bought the Halloween party pin and a t shirt. My Halloween costume was a Day of the Dead flowered skull and pirate shorts. Yeah, it was strange. Jesse had gone to the pirate league and got the makeup done and Zoey had Mermaid makeup done. They both
already had their costumes. Chuck was dressed up as Figment with a t shirt and fur hat and backpack. He had gotten the hat and backpack in April when we were here. It was the anniversary of Figment so they had special items. Karen was dressed as Minnie Mouse. We did Haunted Mansion again in the dark and Pirates which had some extras only for the party. It was really cute. We also did Thunder Mountain in the dark which is extra fun. It was time for the fireworks and then the parade. We all loved the parade, but they didn’t have the Headless Horseman ride through because the pavement was still wet and they didn’t want to take a chance the horse would slip.

This was another wonderful day and we stayed until the bitter end. We would all sleep well tonight.

October 10 – Today was Animal Kingdom day. Our first thing was the Festival of the Lion King. This is always a spectacular show. Then we had lunch. After lunch we split up again. Chuck went on Everest and the kids played in Dino land. Karen and I looked in the shops but didn’t buy anything.

We had fastpasses for the river Navi ride. This is so beautiful but too short. I could stay on for another half hour to see more of it. We had fastpasses for the Safari ride and saw many animals. It’s amazing how close the giraffes come to the jeeps.

Chuck and Jesse went on the Pandora coaster I think. Then we all went inside the shops while it poured down. All except Karen who was so hot, she stayed out in the rain and got soaked. She felt so much better after that. It has been very hot and humid this trip so I can understand.

We had dinner at the Yak and Yeti. Oh I loved this dinner so much. I only wish I could have eaten more!

Chuck and Karen went on Everest while the kids and I stayed in the shops. Later we went on the Dino expedition and brought back a dinosaur!

We stopped at the Rain Forest Café shop and picked up a couple of things for the kids.

Time to go home again. Another in a long list of fun days.

October 11 – Epcot day again. Of course we had to see Frozen and get school bread again. There wasn’t much of a line so we went on Living with the Land and then on the Imagination ride. I still miss the original Journey into Imagination ride. That was just so beautiful.

We stopped by UK and we spied Mary Poppins. She is our favorite character. Karen and I got in line and had our pictures taken with her. Mary asked me my name and when I said, “Mary”, she said, ”is it really?” “Yes it really is”. Karen and I went into one of the shops and we saw a t shirt that said, “Practically Perfect in Every way”. Of course we both just HAD to have it. Too bad we didn’t see this before we saw Mary Poppins. We never did catch her again.

Time for the Food and wine festival again. I think I had the chicken dumplings with Chinese slaw. Then we went to Mexico and I had the Short rib tostada. We also went inside and took the ride and looked in some of the shops. Our last nibble was India and I had some of Karen’s warm Indian bread with three different dipping sauces.

Karen and I went to the American pavilion to see Anderson East singers. It was just so hot and humid I had to in the American Experience just for the air conditioning. Chuck had gone to see the show and I met him on his way out. Our last stop was to Belgium for their chilled coffee with Godiva Chocolate liqueur. That was for me only. Oh I enjoyed that so much. Our last stop as usual was Spaceship Earth and then home.

October 12 – Magic Kingdom for our last day. Is there any words so sad as Last Day at WDW? Sniffle, sniffle

Our first ride was Pirates and then Carousel of Progress. Haunted Mansion came next and then Carousel of Progress for me while the rest of the family went to do these collectable cards that you play with. I did it a few times and it was a lot of fun. Next we all went on the People Mover and then I had to hook up for a charge for my scooter. Chuck had forgotten to charge up the battery last night so I needed a little charge to get through the rest of the day. It was still so hot and the humidity was a million degrees. I think it really got to me these last couple of days.

We went on Thunder Mountain, Nemo and Imagination for the last time.

We drove over to Epcot for Karen’s birthday dinner at the Mexican cantina. Oh my heavens that food was delicious! I ordered this corn soup that I will be dreaming of for months. It was so creamy and sweet. Chuck and Karen got this dinner for two. Chuck had all the chicken and Karen had all the steak and they shared the veggies. I had a pork empanada and rice. It was good but I just took the filling out of the empanada and had the pork with the rice and black beans and all the sweet corn I could steal off of Chuck and Karen’s plate. We all had dessert and they all sang happy birthday to Karen. I wish I could have eaten more of that delicious dinner.

Our very last ride was Space Ship Earth. So sad.

October 13 – I woke up a few time during the night but still slept well. Chuck woke me at 5:30. I got dressed and did my final packing.

Mears picked me up at 6:15 and I got my final hugs and kisses from Jesse and Zoey. I got to the airport a little before 7. I got my wheelchair and, what do you know? I got Lloyd again, the same man as in April. I got through security quickly and now it’s only 7:45 so I have a bit of a wait until I board. I read my Kindle and just people watched until it was time to board. I was one of the first to board as usual. Again there was a woman in the window seat, so the middle seat was empty. We kept hoping it would stay empty, but no such luck. He was one of the last to board. He was nice enough but, oh dear Lord, he snuffled every 5 or 10 seconds through the whole flight. It wasn’t a nice quiet snuffle if you know what I mean. I was going to offer him a tissue when he brought out his own. That didn’t solve the problem for very long. Then he had to show me the dogs he was fostering and his own dogs. More and more pictures. I finally made an escape to the bathroom close to landing.
When I got out of the bathroom I had to stand right there because an older gentleman had gotten sick all over himself and his wife. So they had to clean up that before I could get back to my seat. The poor woman that had the window seat in that aisle, they gave her another seat somewhere.

We did land a bit early, but I was one of the last to deplane. My cousin was right there waiting for me. She drove me home and I just went upstairs and put my jammies on and relaxed in my recliner for the rest of the day. The kids made it home a little after midnight and went straight to bed. Time enough tomorrow to unpack and start the many
washes.

This has been such a wonderful trip thanks to the planning of Karen and the fastpasses to Chuck. I did have so much fun and I was so happy that I could experience all the wonderful things. I was so exhausted that I slept pretty much all day long for two days. But it was so worth it.

I know this trip report isn’t as detailed as my others, but it was the best I could do from just reading my scribbled notes.

Thanks for reading.

Thank you piglet50. I must apologize for no pictures this time. I just don't have the energy.

Your reports are always fun and interesting. I can feel the love and good times you and your family have. I look forward to any of your posts. Happy New Year to you and your lovely family.

When you mentioned the funnel cake and you were all a little wobbly , I was thinking did it have liqueur in it. And speaking of wobbly, so glad you were ok with the curb incident. Sometimes those curbs just jump up out of nowhere.

I agree with you with heat. I'd rather wear hat and gloves, than melt.

And your comment about not being detailed.....every trip I would get the first day, after that my trip reports would be we rode, we ate, we slept. I'm amazed at the details people can remember.

Thank you for taking the time to write a TR.

Thank you jo-jo. No there was no liqueur in the funnel cake, just a whole lot of sweets and eating too much of it. LOL

I have gotten hearing aids so I will be able to hear warnings more easily. When I was safely on the ground I was thing to myself, "senile old bat". LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter