Half marathon sweep times

EACarlson

DIS Veteran
I am interested in running the Half at Marathon Weekend in 2022, and trying to convince my wife to run it with me. She is concerned about how fast she has to go to finish it. At what time do they cut you off?

Your best bet is to train hard for a fast 10k qualifying time. This allows you to start in an earlier corral, which puts you well ahead of the sweepers. That gives you a buffer to either stop for some character pictures or go the distance at a slower pace.

So taking the pics with the characters is a major factor in these races for most people? Is it for those who are really in it to win or place in the race?

So taking the pics with the characters is a major factor in these races for most people? Is it for those who are really in it to win or place in the race?
I think the entire spectrum of runners are at runDisney, from world class to Boston qualifiers to experienced recreational runners to brand new runners to runners/walkers who can barely walk a 5K. All are welcomed and have a blast. As you can guess, as the distances increase you see a greater percentage of the faster runners. I am in the recreational group, and I have only stopped for one character pic in 4 HMs and 1 M. I did stop to ride Expedition Everest and for drinks at January's marathon. I have little idea as to what percentage of runners stop for at least one pic at a runDisney HM, but my guess is around 50%.

I think the entire spectrum of runners are at runDisney, from world class to Boston qualifiers to experienced recreational runners to brand new runners to runners/walkers who can barely walk a 5K. All are welcomed and have a blast. As you can guess, as the distances increase you see a greater percentage of the faster runners. I am in the recreational group, and I have only stopped for one character pic in 4 HMs and 1 M. I did stop to ride Expedition Everest and for drinks at January's marathon. I have little idea as to what percentage of runners stop for at least one pic at a runDisney HM, but my guess is around 50%.
Ohhhhh lawd, the thoughts of EE again, lol. Sounds like a great group, really does. Don't they have characters out before the runs to take pics with? And let me ask you, what is a world class runner, lol?

Yes, there are characters out before the runs, although the lines can be very long. Olympians are one example of world class runners that have raced at runDisney events.

Yes, there are characters out before the runs, although the lines can be very long. Olympians are one example of world class runners that have raced at runDisney events.
Ok, I would have never thought of Olympians coming to run at Disney. Wow. Interesting.

Ok, I would have never thought of Olympians coming to run at Disney. Wow. Interesting.

Disney has a universal appeal. Top level athletes aren’t immune to that. Jeff Galloway is heavily involved in Disney races and I’ve run alongside him on course. There have been other elite level runners out there through the years, too.

1-2 characters are out before the race and at the Expo but if you are interested in unique, rarely seen characters(ex Gepetto/Pinocchio or classic character in special outfits), those ones are along the race course. It keeps things interesting along your run, even if you don’t want to stop and wait in line. And the lines move fairly quick, bc no one is doing a full character interaction or taking 7 shots with different family members, just quick snap and your off running. Pre-COVID of course so who knows what the plan is.

As far as race mentality, it’s a wide variety from novice first timers to experience elite, like another person said the longer distances will lean more towards serious runners though a large majority still dress in costume or some disney inspired gear. However, unless you are in one of the early corrals, I think it’s hard to run a “serious” qualifying-type race personally. I’d consider myself a moderate middle of the pack runner, about 9:30 pace for 10k, 10:30-11 for half marathon, no attempts at full; and I wouldn’t try for a PR at a Disney course, just IMHO bc I know I’d get very frustrated and not enjoy my run.
Here is my reasoning:
-huge crowds (40,000?, again pre-covid) with lots of inexperienced runners. They deserve to be there just as much as any elite runner but you have to manage expectations i think
-There are lots of people in later corrals who train with a run/walk method so there are people constantly stopping right in front of you that you have to dodge
- there isn’t a consensus between walkers and runners in where the fast/slow lanes should be
- lots of people stopping dead for pics/selfies with mile markers, getting distracted by the sights (Hello, Cinderella Castle!)
- there are some narrow parts of course like anywhere else, but you have more people running with a group/family that won’t understand not to run side by side
Not saying any of this as complaints, but these are just observations I’ve made and have probably contributed to as well.
So I’m sure there are people who are in it to win, but for this middle of the pack runner I am content to enjoy the sights and be in the moment. I still set realistic goals, but I’ll also stop for a cool character or to document some pics along the way and not feel terrible that my time is 15min slower than norm.

For the OP, what is your expectation for you and your wife during the half? Do you want to run together or just be at the same event?
I ask bc if she is worried about time, then I’m assuming she won’t have proof of time <2:30 from a prior race and will be in a later corral. You can always drop back to her corral to be with her if you want, but if you are taking this as a serious race then you may get more frustrated. Personally I run separate from friends and we meet at the finish line. My husband doesn’t run and i think he much prefers to sleep in and meet me at the finish line:)

I'm not going for a time, I'm doing this more as a way to motivate her to get out and start running. When we ran our first 5k I stayed with her the whole way and we finished in about 45. The second one I ran for time and finished in 27. By planning it this far out it and planning it at WDW, she has incentive to work to get better. I'd be fine starting all the way in the back as long as I know what type of pace I need to maintain.

What I would suggest is she train at least a 15 minute/mile pace. She will likely run faster on race day, but this will give her a 13 minute cushion at least plus whatever difference there is between her finishing and the last person finishing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!