Half Hour Late is the New Normal

Last August, we had numerous ADRs and checked in a few minutes early for each. Sat immediately for some (including CRT), waited about five minutes for some, waited between 15 and 20 minutes for two meals (and we checked in early with a large party for one meal). Waiting 30 minutes is not the norm in my experience.

They are having supply issues with Minnie Vans. I think they expanded too much, too fast.

But I do have questions, if you don't mind clarifying.

So you just walked off after you requested the ride? Didn't cancel it? Did the app not show you how long it would be before a Van arrived? I wonder why you didn't cancel if you opted not to wait, of if you did, wonder why the driver called
And did the app not show the wait time for a Van or how track the Van as it traveled to you?
Wasn’t on the app because I don’t have it, did it through the front desk. The van was late so I asked them to call and they said they were running 10 minutes behind. At about 20-25 minutes into our wait we walked to the bus stop because we saw a bus show up. The driver called me on my cell phone (how? I have no idea!)

IMHO you were more than compensated for the unacceptable WCC experience. Yet you came here to “ complain “. I guess we have different outlooks.

No reason to get rude with me. I did not complain, I merely stated exactly what happened to us in one day. I just wanted to share what happened so others could read it and maybe be prepared if they were coming to WDW soon. And I’m pretty confident that’s the whole point of this message board. To share experiences to help others plan for their trips. So yeah I’m fairly confident you and I have different outlooks.

Question for the OP = just curious as to how many were in your party?

Not the norm for us the week after Thanksgiving. Our party of two was seated almost immediately at four different restaurant ressies. For a 5:45 ADR at O'hana our buzzer went off before we got to the waiting area.

We used Minnie Vans twice. After our O'hana dinner about 8pm and on our last afternoon to get back to catch MDE. Had a 4 minute wait both times.

ADRs really aren’t reservations. They are a placeholder in line for the next available table for your size party. A real reservation at 7 holds a table for you at 7. This doesn’t. Using the word “ reservation “ in the title is totally misleading and leads to frustration[/QUOTE]

ADR: Advanced Dining RESERVATION...not advanced dining placeholder. If it’s not really a reservation then they need to change the name. ADRs are made for a reason. Disney needs to be more mindful of this.
The only negative experience we had was Jiko: 45 min passed reservation time. That is completely unacceptable.

ADRs really aren’t reservations. They are a placeholder in line for the next available table for your size party. A real reservation at 7 holds a table for you at 7. This doesn’t. Using the word “ reservation “ in the title is totally misleading and leads to frustration

ADR: Advanced Dining RESERVATION...not advanced dining placeholder. If it’s not really a reservation then they need to change the name. ADRs are made for a reason. Disney needs to be more mindful of this.
The only negative experience we had was Jiko: 45 min passed reservation time. That is completely unacceptable.[/QUOTE]
Thought that ADR was Advanced Dining Request?

I had three ADRs last week. I checked in about ten minutes early for each and the longest wait was ten minutes after the ADR time (at Prime Time, which we have always had a short wait for). I think it is just luck of the draw. If you happen to have an ADR right after a big rush of seating has occurred, you will wait longer than if you happen to arrive after a mass exit.

So they can predict the future now? Because in order to predict who is on time and who is late they would have to predict the future. And even Disney can't do that. No matter what their RFID is doing it isn't reading your mind

Yes they should be able to predict the future based on past performance. How does the grocery store know how much food to stock? How do your favorite retail establishments know how many people to have working during peak season? They use previous data points to tell them.

Yes they should be able to predict the future based on past performance. How does the grocery store know how much food to stock? How do your favorite retail establishments know how many people to have working during peak season? They use previous data points to tell them.
You can't compare the habits of retail shopping to theme park guests. One does have trends that repeat. The other does not, not at all.

And if they can predict that a monorail will break down and make me late for my reservation I wish they'd tell me next time, I'd avoid getting on the monorail and be on time instead. Since they have my phone number, they can text me and let me know, "don't get on this monorail, it will have a break down". I'd find that very helpful.

You can't compare the habits of retail shopping to theme park guests. One does have trends that repeat. The other does not, not at all.

And if they can predict that a monorail will break down and make me late for my reservation I wish they'd tell me next time, I'd avoid getting on the monorail and be on time instead. Since they have my phone number, they can text me and let me know, "don't get on this monorail, it will have a break down". I'd find that very helpful.

I realize the below article is 5 years old but hopefully it can help you better understand what Disney does to predict the future. It was written by two Disney employees.

http://analytics-magazine.org/corpo...ce-the-guest-experience-at-walt-disney-world/

From the article:
The resort’s table-service restaurant operation leverages optimization in unique ways. Statistical analyses helps the company understand the patterns around party sizes, arrival times and table turn times. This knowledge is incorporated into mathematical models that determine the right mix of tables to best meet guest demand. Another set of models helps develop inventory templates that embrace the stochastic nature of the operation while maximizing the utilization of the restaurant. A recent update made these models dynamic in nature – accounting for the bookings already made while considering the projected reservations up until the actual day arrives.

Edit: Quote from article didn't post originally.

Last edited:
The only negative experience we had was Jiko: 45 min passed reservation time. That is completely unacceptable.
Thought that ADR was Advanced Dining Request?[/QUOTE]
Nope. I looked it up. It is reservation

I realize the below article is 5 years old but hopefully it can help you better understand what Disney does to predict the future. It was written by two Disney employees.

http://analytics-magazine.org/corpo...ce-the-guest-experience-at-walt-disney-world/

From the article:

Edit: Quote from article didn't post originally.
None of that applies to being late. That applies to how many ADR they need for a given time slot and how long someone will be at their ADR. I said is they can't predict when someone is going to be late. I stand by that. No way, no how can they do that. Not in advance. Sorry, it's simply not possible. Not when something like a broken down monnorail is the only reason someone is late.

Exactly. I'm sure PP was posting in jest about doing that intentionally but it is a late party here and a late party there, as the day goes on, that makes them run so late by the end of the night

I have to jump in here, I agree that it's not accomidating late folks that cause everyone to be seated late. I ask anyone on the boards, has anyone ever showed up for a reservation 30 minutes late and was actually seated? In my opinion folks always show up early and are made to wait.

Actuall, I feel it's really one sided; at WDW, the GUEST must show up early but the HOST can make you wait as long as they want!

Last edited:
But even anywhere else, a reservation doesn't guarantee the table will be vacant and ready when you arrive. Whether they've done full models or are spitballing, unless you are the FIRST table of the night, all reservations estimate how long the party before you will be dining. Estimates are often wrong. Sometimes the party before you is faster. Sometimes they are not.

To expect ANY dining reservation, Disney or not, to equal "table immediately available!!!" every time is just not realistic.

I have to jump in here, I agree that it's not accomidating late folks that cause everyone to be seated late. I ask anyone on the boards, has anyone ever showed up for a reservation 30 minutes late and was actually seated? In my opinion folks always show up early and are made to wait.

Actuall, I feel it's really one sided; at WDW, the GUEST must show up early but the HOST can make you wait as long as they want!
Of course not. It's a combination of things. But if you think that showing up late has no impact, you'd be incorrect. Just as sitting at your table for 3 hours has an impact. It all has an impact.
Of course people have been seated early. We've have. We've even been seated without an ADR. There are always exceptions. Always. Never expect an exception to be made but no one will bite you for asking.

Exactly. I'm sure PP was posting in jest about doing that intentionally but it is a late party here and a late party there, as the day goes on, that makes them run so late by the end of the night
It's against my nature to be late, so could never!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!