Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

Hi everyone. We are headed to Universal next Sunday for a Harry Potter focused tour of both parks. Wanting to ride Hagrid's and wondering about what everyone thinks would be the best strategy?

IoA opens at 9am, however US opens at 8am.

So, should we go into US at 8am and try some (one or two) of the HP rides there, before heading over to IoA for rope drop? Would that be possible? Or, would it be better to ride Hogwarts Express around 8:30 or so to get over to IoA? Is that even possible? Or would it be best to exit US and head to the IoA turnstiles for rope drop?

Newbies to Universal here, so pardon the rookie questions.

Thanks in advance!

Hagrid’s is very rarely open at the start of the day... my personal advice would be that trying to get on the ride is just too stressful and totally not worth it - since you’re newbies I’d just focus on the other things at the parks

Hi everyone. We are headed to Universal next Sunday for a Harry Potter focused tour of both parks. Wanting to ride Hagrid's and wondering about what everyone thinks would be the best strategy?

So, should we go into US at 8am and try some (one or two) of the HP rides there, before heading over to IoA for rope drop? Would that be possible? Or, would it be better to ride Hogwarts Express around 8:30 or so to get over to IoA? Is that even possible? Or would it be best to exit US and head to the IoA turnstiles for rope drop?

Thanks in advance!

If riding Hagrid's is a priority for you (if so, I can relate because it definitely was for me) then you should arrive at IoA at 8am in order to rope drop and be among the first to get into the Hagrid's line (they will let you into the park at around 8:45 to 8:50 give or take). You will beat the folks who are coming over from US.

Thanks in advance!

Read a report from someone yesterday who rope dropped it and was off the ride by 10:15. Another report from today had a person rope drop it and was off the ride by 9:14.

http://forums.insideuniversal.net/t...al-creature-motorbike-adventure.14146/page-33

I rope dropped today and was off the ride by 9.15. We got to the gates by 8.15, gates opened at 8.50 and then walked straight to Hagrid’s. We pretty much a walked through the queue and no pre show. I appreciate we were lucky as know it can be down but worked well for us this morning.

This was us a couple of weeks ago. Glad it worked for you as well.

Went Friday, Sept 13th. IOA opened at 9 AM, was in line by 8:15 AM...got to ride Hagrids twice within 2 mins of each other, due to the ride breaking down for a few seconds towards the end of the 1st round. They allowed us the option to ride it one more time right away. Got to ride sidecar first and then bike (best) second. I believe I was done with both rides (times) before 9:30 AM. When i got off, the line was already pretty long. Throughout the day it was a 120-180 min wait time. Stayed at Hard Rock, but did not take advantage of extra hour at Universal because I was able to ride most of the rides the night before at HHN.

I rope dropped today and was off the ride by 9.15. We got to the gates by 8.15, gates opened at 8.50 and then walked straight to Hagrid’s. We pretty much a walked through the queue and no pre show. I appreciate we were lucky as know it can be down but worked well for us this morning.

Was "walking with purpose" enough to be that close to the front?

There are cast members along the route telling people not to run. You get the odd one doing it but most are at a quick walk. When we got close to the queue had a cast member say to everyone “thanks for power walking and not jogging”. Definitely want a bit of purpose to the walking but I made it near the front without any running.

There are cast members along the route telling people not to run. You get the odd one doing it but most are at a quick walk. When we got close to the queue had a cast member say to everyone “thanks for power walking and not jogging”. Definitely want a bit of purpose to the walking but I made it near the front without any running.

That's great to hear. Thank you!

So when we went a couple of weeks ago there were a lot of people running but I think that's because we were right up at the front (we were the first family in our line). Having said that it didn't really bother me because since we were in the front there was plenty of room and nobody was knocking into us. Things became sane and more controlled once we got to the Mystic Fountain. Anyway we just power walked the entire way and that was enough to be among the first to ride. Didn't stop in the queue until the very end close to the bikes.

My son and daughter arrived at the gate about 10 minutes before opening today. They walked fast to the ride and were done in 30 minutes. They absolutely loved it.

Otherwise, the wait has been 2 to 3 hours during the past 4 days and we hadn't done it

Otherwise, the wait has been 2 to 3 hours during the past 4 days and we hadn't done it
Was the wait was 2-3 hours or did the sign say it was 2-3 hours? Because those are very different things. It seems that if the ride isn’t breaking down, that the posted wait time is inflated 200-500%. We’ve waited a few times now and a posted 150 minute wait would take about 30-45 minutes.

Was the wait was 2-3 hours or did the sign say it was 2-3 hours? Because those are very different things. It seems that if the ride isn’t breaking down, that the posted wait time is inflated 200-500%. We’ve waited a few times now and a posted 150 minute wait would take about 30-45 minutes.
Posted time. Not sure why they need to inflate it 200-500%! How would us mere mortals know that was the case?

Posted time. Not sure why they need to inflate it 200-500%! How would us mere mortals know that was the case?

They do it in order to compensate if something goes wrong and there is a delay. That way if it happens it appears as part of the wait time and it's a pleasant surprise when they get off the ride much sooner than expected. Luckily, while there has been technical issues here and there still, it's been happening much less than it has previously, but Universal clearly still doesn't feel enough confidence in the attraction and therefore still does inflate their wait time to ensure guests are either prepared when something goes wrong, or thrilled when they waited lesser than expected for the ride.

I have a phone lanyard I usually wear and have worn on rides at Universal before. (I don't ride Hulk or RRR 🙅‍♀️)
If I put it inside my shirt, will I be allowed to wear it, you think? Just trying to save time at RD by not needing a locker. If not, I may leave my phone at hotel. :(

I have a phone lanyard I usually wear and have worn on rides at Universal before. (I don't ride Hulk or RRR 🙅‍♀️)
If I put it inside my shirt, will I be allowed to wear it, you think? Just trying to save time at RD by not needing a locker. If not, I may leave my phone at hotel. :(

They do it in order to compensate if something goes wrong and there is a delay. That way if it happens it appears as part of the wait time and it's a pleasant surprise when they get off the ride much sooner than expected. Luckily, while there has been technical issues here and there still, it's been happening much less than it has previously, but Universal clearly still doesn't feel enough confidence in the attraction and therefore still does inflate their wait time to ensure guests are either prepared when something goes wrong, or thrilled when they waited lesser than expected for the ride.
Well, bummer for us that we didn't know the system was rigged like that! Live and learn I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts