Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

Anyone know if they're going to start having IOA be the early park opening for Universal hotel guests? We're going in mid-January and plan to be at Universal 1/20-1/21. The only issue is that 1/20 is MLK day and 1/21 is our last day in Universal and I really don't want to miss Hagrid's. We do have Express Pass so if we have to wait 2 hours, at least we can do the other stuff quickly.
Keep checking the website, but they haven't had early park opening at IOA since this has opened I believe. And I wouldn't count on it being open even if they have early opening at IOA.

Anyone know if they're going to start having IOA be the early park opening for Universal hotel guests? We're going in mid-January and plan to be at Universal 1/20-1/21. The only issue is that 1/20 is MLK day and 1/21 is our last day in Universal and I really don't want to miss Hagrid's. We do have Express Pass so if we have to wait 2 hours, at least we can do the other stuff quickly.

It's been ages since they had EE over at IoA. If they didn't do it for the opening of Hagrid's I doubt they'll do it anytime soon. If it happens at all in the future it would be out of the blue. You can always check before your trip. On the website Universal only shows two months at a time, so you wouldn't be able to see EE information for January right now anyway.

The only reason I can think of them not wanting to do EE for IoA anymore is the fact that Hogsmeade fills up fast and while it will always happen eventually, I guess they don't want it to be packed and filled already before regular guests get a chance to get inside the park. It's a very claustrophobic section compared to Diagon Alley. That is honestly the only reason I can think of as to why it's been so long since they have had EE at IoA.

It's been ages since they had EE over at IoA. If they didn't do it for the opening of Hagrid's I doubt they'll do it anytime soon. If it happens at all in the future it would be out of the blue. You can always check before your trip. On the website Universal only shows two months at a time, so you wouldn't be able to see EE information for January right now anyway.

The only reason I can think of them not wanting to do EE for IoA anymore is the fact that Hogsmeade fills up fast and while it will always happen eventually, I guess they don't want it to be packed and filled already before regular guests get a chance to get inside the park. It's a very claustrophobic section compared to Diagon Alley. That is honestly the only reason I can think of as to why it's been so long since they have had EE at IoA.
Thanks. Last time I was at Universal in January of 2016, they had early park admission in both parks. But I can see that Hogsmeade fills up very quickly. Just thought that this would be a nice hotel benefit if it helps get guests get on Hagrid's a little easier.

Thanks. Last time I was at Universal in January of 2016, they had early park admission in both parks. But I can see that Hogsmeade fills up very quickly. Just thought that this would be a nice hotel benefit if it helps get guests get on Hagrid's a little easier.

Yeah, last time I was an AP is when they had EE at IoA and while I haven't been in the parks in a couple of years, on and off I've been checking and keeping on eye out of curiosity and never noticed it going back and has been strictly Universal for quite sometime. I cannot confirm when was the exact last time it was at IoA, but it's been awhile. A lot of people thought they'd finally bring it back due to the opening, but it never did. So, if it didn't happen for that I would imagine if it ever magically happens again it be quite random.

The only event I can think of them opening it up again (for non-random reasons) would be when EPIC opens since then there would be even more variety of parks for people to branch off to, but who knows.

At this point they need to have the ride closed for maintenance for as long as they humanly can every day. Even an extra hour would be too much. It's still not working reliably.

I'm going in a week, have the lines gotten any better for this ride? I won't wait in a line that's over an hour and we'll only be in the park for one day. Trying to figure out a game plan to get on this. I was following this thread for a while when it opened, but haven't for the last few weeks, hoping its improved.

I'm going in a week, have the lines gotten any better for this ride? I won't wait in a line that's over an hour and we'll only be in the park for one day. Trying to figure out a game plan to get on this. I was following this thread for a while when it opened, but haven't for the last few weeks, hoping its improved.

Unfortunately, it's too unpredictable to absolutely determine the best time to go that will give you a less than an hour wait. The only thing I can think of as more of a guaranteed is if you go first thing in the morning and do all your waiting in line prior to the official opening and if there is no delay in the morning you can hop on quickly. It will take a lot more time, but technically with that method you'd be waiting definitely less of an hour during park hours at least. Also, if they announce there is a delay (which usually they announce rather quickly in the morning if they know) you can ditch and go about your business. It'll suck if that happens since you waited all that time, but at least most of it would have been during non-operating hours and not during park hours where you could have been enjoying the park.

Other than that, I wouldn't guaranteed anything. Too many mixed reports still to determine that going in the afternoon will guaranteed a less of an hour wait. We have reports of that it being less of the posted wait time, but have also still getting reports of being close of the reported wait time due to delays, which still on average 120 seems to be the posted wait time.

While it's improved a lot, there is still too many mixed reports and stories on this thread to guaranteed a method, especially if you have one day to enjoy the park it's risky. I would suggest to check and read the thread for the next week on what other's experiences have been and then determine what might be best for you.

However, I will also add that if you're wanting to wait period less than an hour wait whether during operating hours, or not, I do not believe there would be no method, or 100% guaranteed for that at this time.

If you have the Universal Orlando app; when you go in to view the wait time for a ride you can set a wait time alert. Here's a screen shot I found (for Hulk), but it should be the same for any ride. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I've read reports of others using it successfully. I hope this helps!

If you have the Universal Orlando app; when you go in to view the wait time for a ride you can set a wait time alert. Here's a screen shot I found (for Hulk), but it should be the same for any ride. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I've read reports of others using it successfully. I hope this helps!
It's highly unlikely it will be 60 minutes or under.

True, but you never know!

Yeah, anyone can always do it just, because they can. It doesn't hurt to try. However, in the case that people do report waiting less than an hour, the wait time posted (which is the time on the app) has always been over an hour. So far I've only seen one report of a posted wait time on this particular forum as being under an hour (45 minutes) and that was at the least over a month ago. I do want to give hope, but at the same time people need to have realistic expectations. In the case, the wait time was posted as an hour, or less if anyone wants to take advantage of it they should be near Hagrid's to some extent as well.

Your best bet is rope drop at IoA. Be in queue no later than 8am
They told us both mornings we did rope drop there was a delay, but there was actually none

Last edited:
Yeah, anyone can always do it just, because they can. It doesn't hurt to try. However, in the case that people do report waiting less than an hour, the wait time posted (which is the time on the app) has always been over an hour. So far I've only seen one report of a posted wait time on this particular forum as being under an hour (45 minutes) and that was at the least over a month ago. I do want to give hope, but at the same time people need to have realistic expectations. In the case, the wait time was posted as an hour, or less if anyone wants to take advantage of it they should be near Hagrid's to some extent as well.
Yeah, I think I've only seen it at 45 minutes once ever. That's it.

We just returned from a long weekend and rope-dropped on Sunday 10/27 and Monday 10/28 and had two very different waits:

We arrived at the gate area at 8:31 am on Sunday, headed to the leftmost 'line' and found ourselves backed up to around the ticket purchase booth. They opened the gates around 8:45 or so and we walked briskly to the Hagrid's line. We spent maybe 10 minutes snaking around until reaching the lockers and after a few more minutes we were inside the castle? ruins? whatever.....it was air conditioned and we were thankful for that. The timestamp on a pic I took when first on the coaster is 9:33 am. Not too bad.

And we had a nice bonus - the ride broke down for like 8-10 minutes right at the end so they gave us a pass to skip the line - which we used later and waited like 10 minutes.

On Monday we arrived in the same spot right at the same time - 8:30 am. Same deal...leftmost line and headed right there. However this time they announced a delay in opening the ride as we queued up. We were outside for a very long time and snaked through several areas we had not on the prior day. Eventually we stopped cold outside (actually it was incredibly warm) but we could hear them testing the ride. Once we heard screams we knew it was back up and going. I don't have an exact time but it was closer to 10:15 am before we stepped off the ride. Not so cool. The late opening crushed our morning.

I will say the CMs did a great job managing who is on the cycle and who sits in the sidecar. Once you communicate your party size the single riders are filled in behind you single file as needed. First in the pair is the cycle. Second is sidecar. It only gets as awkward as the single rider might want to make it. My wife had a couple of single riders try to swap with her as they noticed we knew each other but she shut them down. The cycle is totally the way to go in our opinion. Way, way better than the sidecar.

Reactions: DLo
I think we need to start a new thread - “Team Motorbike or Team Sidecar!”

I’m sure the motorbike would win but I actually preferred the sidecar. Maybe it’s because I’m short. I felt slightly uncomfortable on the bike and couldn’t figure out where to put my short legs. The floor was just too long a stretch lol.

Ha! Definitely thread worthy christophfam. No offense was intended to those who prefer the sidecar : ) Clearly my 'Way, way better' comment is a little over the top. Also, we split our party up to all ride the bike. I'd have to weigh the possible shorter single rider wait time vs. guaranteed motorbike/longer regular line wait time. We find riding with a stranger on this coaster is less awkward as you're not on the same bench seat.

As an aside - we rode the Slinky Dog Dash for the first time on Saturday and thought it the best new coaster in a long time. Then we rode Hagrids the next morning and forgot about the other coaster. Universal hit a home run.

(Huge RPR fans over here too!)

It’s about 45 minutes or so once you go inside, so you can kinda eyeball the accuracy of the wait time by physically walking into the queue and seeing how far the line is outside of the entrance into the building. When we rode we waited about 65 minutes and the physical end of the line was at the top of the incline to your left when you enter the line. It wasn’t bad at all and there’s plenty to look at in the line. You can bring in phones to the line to entertain yourselves and if the girls are with you. If you guys absolutely can’t wait more than an hour I’d skip it. It was worth the 65 minute wait and I wouldn’t say that about anything at Disney, for what that’s worth. DH agrees and he’s even more line averse than I am!

Edited to add that if they are using any of the overflow queue (outside the former entrance of dragons to the left) it’s way more than an hour, move on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter