Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

I was at Dragon Alley about a month after it opened and Gringotts had a constant 3 hour wait, even with early access as a hotel guest. That being said, Dragon Alley is a whole new land, while this is just one attraction. I'll be there the week of the 17th as well, so hoping it's not quite as bad.

It looks like they are testing it with people right now, however it seems like just folks working the ride. (Which is a first)

You're going to wait 2-3 hours minimum in the heat that much I can tell you. I wasn't there for Gringott's, but you had to wait hours in a separate area in the park just to get into Hogsmeade was when it was first opening due to crowd control. For the grand opening the whole City Walk was flooded. I wasn't there for Gringott's, but I think I saw photos of it being packed as well.

I would imagine if you're planning to go only days after it opening it's going to be quite a wait, but won't be as ridiculous as the grand opening. However, due to how small the Hogsmeade area as, I would imagine they might do something similar as they did the first time. Once it gets to capacity, have guests wait in another area until they're able to let more gain access.

On Universal Orlando resorts FB page they wrote, "Join us next week for the celebration of Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motor Bike Adventure at #WizardingWorldOrlando LIVE on Facebook." With a promotion photo stating "Tuesday, June 11, TUNE IN AT 8:30pm EST".

Does anyone have experience riding Gringotts during the first week it was open and remember what wait times were at open? We will be at Universal on Tuesday the 18th and could be there right at open but behind the Universal Hotel guests. We could also do single rider but not sure that will help much. We will have Express Passes so not worried about everything else - but also don't want to commit 2-3 hours of a wait in the heat.

I was there opening week of Gringotts. We got to Universal Studios at 5:45am and had to wait for the gates to open at 6:00am. From then we were held in a holding area by Mel’s Diner until EE had finished for hotel guests. By the time we had been walked over by TMs it was showing a 3 hour wait but in reality we only waited 2 1/2 hours and that was only that long because it broke down and we were stuck in the bit with the Goblins for a while.

ETA: Wait times for rest of the day were around 5 - 7 hours

Last edited:

So...I have zero interest in waiting 5-7 hours for a ride, or even only 2.5 - 3 hours. My trip in last the last week in July. I was planning to get in line at park closing. Based on past ride openings, should I expect a 3 hour wait then too? Do they start to close the line before official park closing?

So...I have zero interest in waiting 5-7 hours for a ride, or even only 2.5 - 3 hours. My trip in last the last week in July. I was planning to get in line at park closing. Based on past ride openings, should I expect a 3 hour wait then too? Do they start to close the line before official park closing?

I always recommend people to go on an insanely popular ride right before closing during the times in which shows are happening. As most people will be either watching the shows, or have gone for the evening. That's personally what I do rather than going for EE, or "the rope drop". For example, FoP can still be a 2-3 hour wait at AK and I've done this twice. I always get in line before the park is officially closed and never denied. First time I was able to do it within 45 minutes, the second time a little over an hour. That's including wait time and two pre-shows.

While obviously AK and IoA are different parks all together. I do not see them closing the ride prior to the official closing. I never had that experience at USF/IoA. Unless someone can protest differently in a more recent event?

When Gringotts opened they were closing the line WELL before park closing because of how long it was and so TMs could go home at a decent time.

No one knows what’s going to happen with Hagrid’s ride yet so it’s difficult to say whether it’s going to be as popular as Gringotts or not yet. The lines might be more manageable with it being a single ride instead of a whole land opening or they might not. We won’t know until it opens what the wait times are going to be like.

Info about how they are doing the opening:

From https://blog.universalorlando.com/visiting-us/maximizing-visit-to-hagrids:

We’re very close to opening the highly-anticipated Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter! Soon, you’ll be able to experience the first-ever story coaster as you join Hagrid on a thrilling journey to the Forbidden Forest to discover magical creatures.
There’s tremendous excitement and anticipation surrounding the opening of this new adventure. For that reason, we anticipate high demand for our new attraction and encourage everyone to download the Official Universal Orlando Resort App in advance and then access our Virtual Line system once on-site in our parks. Below are some tips to maximize your day:
  • If You Plan to Join Us on Opening Day, June 13: Universal’s Islands of Adventure may open earlier than scheduled so that you can begin queueing for the new experience. We’ll have dedicated team members stationed throughout the line to assist you and answer any questions you have.
And be sure to have your camera ready! You never know who you might see…
  • Virtual Line: Beginning June 14, there may be times when our team members ask you to join the Virtual Line on The Official Universal Orlando Resort App to experience Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. This will allow you to enjoy other attractions in the park until it’s your time to join the queue. Here’s how it works:
Step 1: Prior to your arrival, download The Official Universal Orlando Resort App
Step 2: Once you’re in Islands of Adventure, open the app and tap the icon for Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. From there, select how many people are in your party, and then select a return time to join the queue. Please note that you have to be in the park in order to secure a return time.
Step 3: Enjoy the other amazing experiences across Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios until your return time arrives.
Step 4: Upon your return time, head to the designated attraction entrance, where you will wait for your ride. The remainder of your wait time will be posted at the entrance when you arrive. All you have to do is scan your Virtual Line pass on your mobile device, and then you’re ready to join the queue.
We look forward to seeing you out there!

For those familiar with Virtual Line, does this work well in practice? If we are there at open the first week and reserve a spot first thing, are we looking at a mid-late afternoon return time? Will our wait still be 30 to 45 minutes when we return?

You can sign up to be at the grand opening preview celebration Tuesday night (11th).

https://blog.universalorlando.com/extras/preview-reception/
It's very limited spots, I'd preregister and then click to join immediately (or just before) 6pm tonight if you want any chance of going. I can't go since it conflicts with other plans, but I thought it would be useful to anyone at or near the park that may want to go to a very special event there. IOA itself closes at 6pm on Tuesday for this event that happens after close.

I have no idea how the virtual line will wind up working for this, it's a very different type of ride than Fallon and Fast and Furious.

Is the only way to secure a Virtual return time by using the app? We don't even take our cellphones to the parks.

They just started team member previews of the ride this hour according to uoteam.com (The Universal team member website). utnil 8pm today. There's a very small chance for soft openings tomorrow or late tonight. (Don't count on it though)

Just an FYI - I’ve seen on another site that they’re reporting that people with a waistline of 40” or greater might not be able to fit/be accommodated and are strongly advised to try to the test seat first outside of the ride.

However, it also apparently says this in the Uni app for Gringotts, Forbidden Journey and Mummy so if you’re okay with them then you should be alright for Hagrid’s. Just thought I’d give people the heads up.

I’ve seen on another site that they’re reporting that people with a waistline of 40” or greater might not be able to fit/be accommodated and are strongly advised to try to the test seat first outside of the ride.

Absolutely ridiculous to read, what were they thinking? Ample chests have been an issue on the other rides, would like to think that doesn’t carry over again on this one.

Absolutely ridiculous to read, what were they thinking? Ample chests have been an issue on the other rides, would like to think that doesn’t carry over again on this one.

I think it’s because of the type of car you sit in. Apparently the side car is much generous because of the restraint on that. I’m sure most people will be fine though and they’re just saying that as a precaution to cover themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts