Hagrid’s and virtual queues

disneylover102

DIS Veteran
I’m planning on going to Universal December 29th-31st. Clearly those days will reach capacity, so I’m planning to get there really early (I’ll do my best on the 29th when my flight arrives at 6:33 AM). But I’m wondering what to do first. I know Hagrid’s hasn’t always been using the virtual queue recently, but is it always standby at park opening? I want to get on it as much as possible. I’m thinking for virtual queues, I’ll do Hagrid’s and Mummy each day (those are repeaters and it seems like most other rides are generally standby). (Am I incorrect that you can have 2 virtual queues at a time and they can be in both parks?)

Yes you can have more than 1 virtual queue as long as the times don't overlap in any way. With Hagrids dont get discouraged if you miss out on times right when it goes virtual which im guessing will be at park opening or close to it. Keep checking all day long, more times will pop up. Refresh is your friend!

Slightly related question. Do you have to have linked tickets to reserve a virtual line? Or just an account on the app?

When do they start the virtual queue? I figure if you arrive at park open you can go straight to Hagrid's and wait in line, at lest until the line is "full", is that when they begin utilizing the virtual queue?

Saturday was my first experience with the virtual queue for Hagrid's. Was really smooth, and minimal wait once I entered the line at the allotted time. I asked a cast member about when to do the virtual queue since we missed the first drop. She told me that there were four drop times for the virtual queue during the day 8:00(park opening that day), 11:00, 2:00, and 4:00. Obviously things might change, but I'd look for those times.

To answer @SquashBanana question. I believe Just an account on the app, but I was already in the parks. It only asks you how many in the party as well, and does not ask to link party members, so each party member could theoretically make a reservation for the same time.

When do they start the virtual queue? I figure if you arrive at park open you can go straight to Hagrid's and wait in line, at lest until the line is "full", is that when they begin utilizing the virtual queue?

For Hadgrid's on Saturday it was virtual queue all day. The Mummy and Forbidden Journey changed over to virtual queues later on in the day. You have to check the app, there was no warning that I saw.

Are you staying onsite with early entry? If so, that is the best way to ride Hagrid's with little to no line.

For Hadgrid's on Saturday it was virtual queue all day. The Mummy and Forbidden Journey changed over to virtual queues later on in the day. You have to check the app, there was no warning that I saw.

So even with early entry, before you even get in the park it is requiring virtual queues, you can't go to the line right at park open? So it's like ROTR boarding groups in the sense you aren't even allowed to get in line?

Are you staying onsite with early entry? If so, that is the best way to ride Hagrid's with little to no line.

Yes, we are staying on site and plan to use the early entry at 7am this week, W-F.

So even with early entry, before you even get in the park it is requiring virtual queues, you can't go to the line right at park open? So it's like ROTR boarding groups in the sense you aren't even allowed to get in line?
You can always get in the regular line. It’s just hideous. 😂 rope drop with early entry is the absolute best way to do it.

We got in right after park opening, so can't speak to early entry. There was no standby line available, only virtual at that point though.

You can always get in the regular line. It’s just hideous. 😂 rope drop with early entry is the absolute best way to do it.
The first sentence is incorrect. If the ride is doing VQ, you cannot walk up and join the line except at your return time.

However, rope drop is indeed the best time for busy days. For slow days, mid-afternoon works well. After the morning rush the line becomes reasonable.

So to clarify, are there days where the VQ is used all day, including at rope drop, or on days the VQ is used, does it only start once the line is full?

So to clarify, are there days where the VQ is used all day, including at rope drop, or on days the VQ is used, does it only start once the line is full?
I am here today and Hagrids and Mummy began the day with Standby and Virtual and are now completely Virtual. Fast and Furious is currently both. Jimmy Fallon has been Virtual all day. It ultimately depends on the crowd levels each day.
Edit: It is possible that Hagirds and Mummy were standby only then switched to virtual line a couple hours after opening.

Last edited:
I am here today and Hagrids and Mummy began the day with Standby and Virtual and are now completely Virtual. Fast and Furious is currently both. Jimmy Fallon has been Virtual all day. It ultimately depends on the crowd levels each day.
Thanks! When I’m there (December 29th-31st), I’ll probably just attempt to rope drop Hagrid’s ea day (in addition to getting a virtual pass) and if standby is closed, I’ll just do Forbidden Journey first.

Does Hagrids have a fastpass line now? I know they did not when it opened but have not heard if they have added one yet. Also The other rides that are switching to vq during the day are they allowing fastpass entrance or is it vq only?

Thanks! When I’m there (December 29th-31st), I’ll probably just attempt to rope drop Hagrid’s ea day (in addition to getting a virtual pass) and if standby is closed, I’ll just do Forbidden Journey first.
I wouldn't try to rope drop Hagrids if IOA has EE and you aren't eligible. I had a party of 11 and the Dad's got a virtual pass for 4, 4, and 3. The Mom's each got a pass for the same numbers for a time slot right after the Dad's. So my party of 11 was able to ride hagrid's back to back on a day that reached capacity. My point being that if you start refreshing the app about 5 minutes before Park open you should have no trouble finding something.

I wouldn't try to rope drop Hagrids if IOA has EE and you aren't eligible. I had a party of 11 and the Dad's got a virtual pass for 4, 4, and 3. The Mom's each got a pass for the same numbers for a time slot right after the Dad's. So my party of 11 was able to ride hagrid's back to back on a day that reached capacity. My point being that if you start refreshing the app about 5 minutes before Park open you should have no trouble finding something.
Universal newbie here...
So say my family of three has the universal app on my phone and tickets linked. Can my husband have another account with the same tickets linked on his phone and we can both make virtual queue requests? Could we both try for Hagrids and get two times to ride if we have two separate accounts but have the same tickets linked to each account?

Not sure if a virtual queue will even be happening when we’re there. We’re going on a Wednesday and it seems to have just a standby line during the week, this week excluded.

Last edited:
Universal newbie here...
So say my family of three has the universal app on my phone and tickets linked. Can my husband have another account with the same tickets linked on his phone and we can both make virtual queue requests? Could we both try for Hagrids and get two times to ride if we have two separate accounts but have the same tickets linked to each account?

Not sure if a virtual queue will even be happening when we’re there. We’re going on a Wednesday and it seems to have just a standby line during the week, this week excluded.

I'm not sure if having the same tickets linked to two different accounts would make a difference, but my guess is that yes, you and your husband could both get your own VL passes because the app does not seem to associate a VL pass with a valid park ticket. You can even reserve a pass without entering a park as long as the app recognizes you are on property. I was the only one out of six accounts to have tickets linked and we all could get our own VL passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter