Hacks for getting better coffee out of the in room brewer?

biochemgirl

DIS Veteran
My experience at Pop and POFQ with the in room brewer was not satisfactory. The machines used the round filter pouches of Joffreys coffee - Mickey's 90th! brew last time. The coffee was bland yet bitter, not robust and smooth like I prefer.

In March I'll be splitting between WL and BWV. It looks like both of these also use the same style Cuisinart machine .

Fellow coffee lovers, please share your tips and hacks to make better coffee!?

Thanks ☕

We bring a French press and use our coffee from home and either buy half and half from the resort gift shop or on a grocery stop but stay in a villa. Bottled water really helps. Also if you use the Joffrey pods, make sure they are lying flat.

FWI, since BWV is a villa/DVC room, I thought those have a coffee pot, not the Cuisenart round pouch machines. Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

Coffee pot yes (Mr. coffee) but they still provide Joffrey’s pods, just larger Ones in the 4-8 cup size. No mr. Coffee filters provided. It’s a good idea to bring your own round filters if you bring your own coffee.

I doubled up on the pods for one cup and that helped. In my world strong coffee=palatable coffee!

This last trip we were close enough to Roaring Forks that it was easier just to use the refillable mugs. I think if multiple people are drinking the coffee this is the easier option. Even if I were solo I will probably just use the refillable mugs unless I'm at a resort where the urns are really far.

FWI, since BWV is a villa/DVC room, I thought those have a coffee pot, not the Cuisenart round pouch machines. Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

You're not wrong. But, the good side: It is easier to BYO coffee. You need a basket filter and the coffee grind of your choice. POW.
But use filtered water.

This is going to sound crazy, but I used filters I bought in the gift shop and literally opened the pods of Joffrey's coffee into them. When I tried to use the flat round pods, the coffee came out so weak, it was gross. Opening them into the regular filters actually helped. If I had placed a grocery order I would have just bought my own.

I use 2 pods for each cup and bottled water. Still not great but better. Usually I do cl just for coffee. A pot of room service coffee is 6-7$. I plan on ordering coffee next weekend,

I'm on vacation , right?

I use 2 pods for each cup and bottled water. Still not great but better. Usually I do cl just for coffee. A pot of room service coffee is 6-7$. I plan on ordering coffee next weekend,

I'm on vacation , right?

Yess.... this works - the issue with the cheaper one cup coffee makers is that it forces the water through too quickly!
One solution is to double up on pods/ one on top of the other or order better/stronger coffee pods online. Alternately I just use Starbucks via (aka instant coffee) with bottled water.

When I travel by car I have a slim portable Keurig that works well for me.

I tend to enjoy weaker coffee but even I couldn't stomach the Joffrey's pods (fortunately we had the refillable mugs so weren't stuck with the pods). We're bringing our reusable basket filter from home and some Cafe Bustelo for our next trip.

I am staying at BWI next month for the first time. What coffee maker do they have? The Cuisinart single serve? Is it K-cup compatible?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter