HA Cabin vs Verandah and Late Dining with Kids

kaa814

Earning My Ears
Hello!

We're a family of 3 (2 adults plus a 3-year-old) taking our first Disney Cruise this May on the Dream! We were assigned room 5018 and it looks like it's a HA cabin. I should start by saying that I do feel bad being put in an HA room if someone who is HA actually needed it!

With that aside, the travel agency offered us a Deluxe Inside and save $300, an Aft Verandah for $20 more or a 6/7 floor Family Verandah for $100 more (all of which would be fine for our budget) but I'm wondering what the pros/cons are to an HA room vs a balcony vs inside with a young child? Is there an advantage to the 'split bath'?

We were also assigned the second dining group. Can anyone with young children tell me how this worked out? Were there any advantages to eating later? My daughter is somewhat of a night owl (if she naps), but I do wonder if 8:30 is a bit late.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Don’t feel bad Disney has to fill their ships so they need all the rooms full. Was this a gty stateroom or just all they had left for the category you wanted.

HA rooms do not have a bathtub if your 3 year old needs one. I would go for a verandah. It will give you somewhere to go sit while the little one is sleeping.

Don’t feel bad Disney has to fill their ships so they need all the rooms full. Was this a gty stateroom or just all they had left for the category you wanted.

I think this is just what they had left in the category (Family Oceanview)

I think this is just what they had left in the category (Family Oceanview)

Don’t feel bad, if they didn’t sell it to you they would sell it to whoever is next. Very little chance the HC room would be “needed” at this point.

Like a 5e aft verandah for $20? Yes please!
You may find that some handicap rooms also do not have a privacy curtain. This can be troublesome if you want to stay up a little past when the kiddo goes to sleep and you need to see!

Like a 5e aft verandah for $20? Yes please!
You may find that some handicap rooms also do not have a privacy curtain. This can be troublesome if you want to stay up a little past when the kiddo goes to sleep and you need to see!
Ok, that's a good point.

I think the category they gave me was 5D or 06B
04E/5A-C is $100 more.

Our son is now 9 but we've sailed with him since he was one. If your daughter is 3 and still naps late dining is better, otherwise try to get on the wait list for early dining. When my son was 3 he still napped the majority of the days so we did late. We've had staterooms all over all the ships. So based on the options you stated I would choose the aft verandah for $20 more. (good place to be if your kid takes a nap) Since disney cruises have so much activities and going ons your kid will probably nap. ;) HA rooms generally don't have a tub or privacy curtain so something to think about. Also the verandah doors are super secure and heavy don't feel worried about that.

I have a three year old and we had early dining in our cruise. He would not have held it together until dinner finished at 10. I recommend changing if you can.

We had a verandah (and will again on our March cruise) but I will admit that I was nervous about DS climbing chairs and falling overboard. He is not a climber, but I worried all the same. I annoyed my family about keeping g the doors closed.

Theres really no oceanviews left? I crosschecked with the Disney cruise website and Travelocity for room availabilitg , then I asked my TA about specific cabins. She found better ones for me, but she knew I was checking the situation too.

Where are you traveling from? Keep in mind if you’re like us, were coming from west coast to east coast so a late dining will still feel like 5pm to us when it's really 8.

I have a three year old and we had early dining in our cruise. He would not have held it together until dinner finished at 10. I recommend changing if you can.

We had a verandah (and will again on our March cruise) but I will admit that I was nervous about DS climbing chairs and falling overboard. He is not a climber, but I worried all the same. I annoyed my family about keeping g the doors closed.

Theres really no oceanviews left? I crosschecked with the Disney cruise website and Travelocity for room availabilitg , then I asked my TA about specific cabins. She found better ones for me, but she knew I was checking the situation too.

I was really worried about that but was assured kids can’t open the doors on their own and you can ask them to remove the chairs as well.

I am not on the west coast and my kids internal clock resets quickly, so I move them a new time zone immediately.

Happy Sailing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!