Gulf State Park DIS Meet 2019 (Episode 4)

Michael, prayers to you & your family on your loss. Joe hope you are feeling better soon. Safe travels when your wonderful vacations is over. We are still stuck @ home, still no part found for our truck.

@SouthAlabama5er Deep Fried Ribeye? You're killing me smalls. How in the heck did you ever come up with that idea? Have you done it before?

I showed DW and the kids, and I get "oh, we're definitely going next year" :worship::rotfl2:

tigger92662,

The YouTube video that Randy watched on how to deep fry the rib eye was not half as entertaining as watching our men pull it off. But if Randy can find and post the video link, you might see for yourself.

I did buy some things at the outlet mall this morning and then DW and I headed back to the new Gulf State Park Lodge on the beach that replaced the old original lodge that had been built in the 70s. Frozen in time with 70s furnishings, it was a time capsule of Apollo era interior decorating. But it was blown away in one of the hurricanes in the late 90s IIRC. Anyway we wanted to try the restaurant there and nose around to see what it's like.

The restaurant is the stark minimal look and the space can be converted into less-dining-more-nightclub as the evening hours stack up. The food was only "eh" but the view is still nice.

It is close to the fishing pier. The new lodge includes some convention and trade show space (which the old one did not have and GS/OB really needs but it feels like the whole hotel is given over to that (long term lease for Hilton Hotels to run it, btw although the state still owns it and the property of course). Convention hotels have expensive rooms (cheapest I saw checking around this summer at Gulf Lodge is $275/n) because corporations usually pay for it. The restaurant food can be "eh" and a little expensive because corps pay for it. And the lobby was beautiful though.

There are two boardwalks out to the beach so we made a loop after lunch and walked along the shore. The water was warm and yellow flags were out.

After lunch I read my book outside then went to the seafood store to get some snapper to cook on the grill and it came out pretty good. Fresh and local which was what I wanted.

Tonight the yellow flies weren't bad and it felt a little cooler. PaHunter/Chris and DW came by as did SouthAlabama5er/Randy and DW plus Flametamr/Joe at one point tonight and we talked in the glow of the green Mickey globe.

Only thing I'm planning on tomorrow is more puzzle time in the AM.

Ed

PS - there will be fewer people coming for a Gulf DISMeet 2020 because of the planned Fort Wilderness DISMeet. When we kicked the Fort plans around, we knew it could impact Gulf plans too because people only have so much time off to take and manage around. And the Fort will be a new great opportunity so Gulf is taking a back seat. It is what it is. Right now I plan to be at Gulf in May 2020 but we may not have a big turn-out as in past years. I just want to set expectations with those of you reading at home.

PPS - in a related note, I had mentioned I had news about our next Gulf DISMeet that represented change and opportunity. A long time ago, when the booking window was still two years out, I had reserved site #4 that I am currently on and have been for the Gulf DISMeets (close to comfort station, on Live Oak Road across from lake, some big tree shade on camper from 12p-5p. But a few months later, I noticed that my all-time favorite site at Gulf, #5 right next door, was still open for late May 2020 so I booked it as well (well before the FW DISMeet planning started). So I am sitting on two reservations for Gulf 2020. If anyone wants to use #4 (opportunity) while I use #5 (change), we can make arrangements. Both reservations are for two full weeks at the end of May which includes Memorial Day weekend. Due to the possible low Gulf DISMeet attendance next year (noted above), I may simply cancel #4 ultimately if no one is going to want it.

For anyone still here, unless it’s still raining, we’re planning on doing s’mores and campfire cones tonight around 6/6:30 at our campsite. If for some reason it’s raining tonight, we will do tomorrow night. We also have hotdogs if you’d like to roast one of those.

@SouthAlabama5er Deep Fried Ribeye? You're killing me smalls. How in the heck did you ever come up with that idea? Have you done it before?

Nope never before, I seen a video on Facebook back in November and figured it would be worth trying here at GSP. It turned out pretty good if I say so myself, I tried to upload our video but it's too large of file, here is a link to the original video I saw in November.

I was a complete slug today. I slept till 7:30. I was supposed to be up at 5:30 and run 6 miles. I did not even walk into work. I took an early lunch and managed to get my 6 miles done in the heat, but hey no yellow flies. Doing laundry and working. Mallory is pretty tired too. She did not sleep much yesterday during the drive.

C4858338-B050-449F-8C1F-BBDD2E6AB28F.jpeg

In the middle of the night last night we had a brief 15 minute shower a few minutes after midnight. And this morning there were clouds when I set up the puzzle table. A few drops fell about 730am and chased us indoors for a few minutes more but then the clouds left and behind them was more sunshine. The puzzle came out about 8am and we worked on it till almost 1030am (hey we're on vacation - no rush). PaHunter and DW came by to work on it before heading out this morning for home and Teamubr and family stopped by before they started their day of sight seeing. Even Flametamr felt good enough to come socialize. Good crowd this morning.

Given the extended time we put in on the puzzle this morning, plus Randy dropping by, we got a lot done. A good puzzle gains momentum and once you reach a tipping point, the pieces practically put themselves in. And that's where we are. Hopefully we finish it tomorrow.

Big huge thank you to Flametamr/Joe who found some puzzle pieces on the pavement at the end of my site where it meets the road. They've been down there for days (and I've probably run over them many times). Bishoparc and I had been perplexed why there were a few pieces of a unique color we simply couldn't find (duh, they were on the ground Ed).

After the puzzle finally got put up (sun was getting stronger) DW and I made what was probably our last grocery run to Wal-Mart then had lunch at DeSoto's on 1st Avenue behind Souvenir City (the shark entrance store). Desoto's is consistently good and I had the broiled seafood platter for $15 with flounder almondine, a couple scallops, a couple shrimps, plus two sides and drink with bread all included. All the seafood is locally sourced and we had a window seat facing the public beach across an empty lot. It was very good.

DW is napping, I'm getting caught up on the Internet then will go back to my book. I"m set up in the shade with a breeze off the lake and very peaceful like a vacation should be.

Glad everyone who left earlier made it home (Kris, Michael, Judy) and PaHunter safe travels on the way back to PA.

Only one full day left here. :guilty:

ED

So this morning we left the Dismeet, reluctantly. We arrived in Gadsden about 530, we ran in to some traffic on the way and some rain. One of the biggest slowdowns was the side trip to Buc ee's as DW wanted to see what all the fuss is about. So we parked around back and went in to the store, she could not believe the size of the place. We are settled in for the night at The Cove, a small campground just off 59. Tomorrow we hit the road and will be headed to Ft Chiswell in VA for our final night.

It was great to see everyone, and to hang out. I have some more pictures to post, but will do so once I get home this weekend.

So during our stay we got to take a tour at the NAS museum. It was a very nice time, and I got some nice pictures, of course while there we crossed paths with Tiggerdad and DD.
_MG_8761s.jpg

After spending the day there we headed back to the campsite where I was asked to do some more photography. Here is a preview of that session.
_MG_8808s.jpg

Time to get ready for our travels tomorrow.

Gulf Island Grill tonight for my bunch and Patrick, sorry no Gulf Island YaYa tonight (sorry Michael), but fried shrimp, steamed shrimp, grilled grouper, and chicken parmesan.
20190530_195057.jpg20190530_195119.jpg20190530_195105.jpg20190530_195124.jpg

Earlier today we went down to Perdido Pass and walked to the beach underneath the Perdido Pass Bridge. Yup at the beach in the sand and shade, wish I'd thought of this years ago! Had a great time. Last full day tomorrow, going to try to make it to Ed's for the puzzle finale for GSP 2019. I hope I can find one last piece to the puzzle. Tomorrow evening I'll pack up camp and be ready to pull out Saturday morning. Other the high temperatures and yellow flies this has been a nice trip, @Flametamr hope you made it home in one piece and get to feeling better. @PaHunter glad yall made it to your stop with no problems, still feel bad about that milkshake, we'll make it to Beaches and Cream next Oct.

20190525_123701.jpg
Been meaning to post a picture of our site, same site as last year, the good company I was in is starting to thin out. Wish I had a dollar for every time someone walked by and asked cif I had a big enough truck", I mess with them and say "nah I left the big truck at home".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter