Gulf State Park Campground question....

sweet maxine

DIS Veteran
Would like to know if there are site recommendations which include some kind of shade at Gulf Shores State Park? Any favorite sites?

Last edited:
Any favorite sites? Any with shade that are preferable? I'm looking at #22, #85, #214 right now

There are sites all around that have some shade but very few have any shade over the camper. Next year I have site 220 on Gator road rented. Both it and 222 have good morning shade. In the evening you have to stay under your awning or move further back to follow the tree shade. Both site are considered water front and are higher priced. The sites back up to the lake.

Maxine,

Sorry - I hadn't seen this question until today.

Of the four sites you listed, #22 is by far the best in terms of shade. The sites on Live Oak Road that are across the street from the lake starting at #18 to #28 (18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28) or so are by far the best shaded in the park (#5 and #6 also are quite good). If you use the Gulf State Park reservation tool and see the map, the sun rises about 4 o'clock on the screen (lower right side across the lake) and sets about 10 o'clock on the screen (upper left side of the screen).

If you click on a site number on the map that is available (green), it will list the details of the site including one clickable picture. Actually, the same picture is shown twice on the detail box. The upper one is NOT clickable/expandable. The one at the bottom of the detail box IS. For #22, it's a shade box that might face some morning sun but once it gets up in the sky you're in good shape. The breeze off the lake is pretty nice too.

Those sites across from the lake on Live Oak are among the most expensive and much in demand spring-summer-fall. In winter months the wind is very strong and I prefer to get off that road and back on Bobcat near the Comfort Station (which is where garneska {Kris and Bert} camped this past May. They had nice shade on the canopy side but open on the drivers side of their RV.

Bama Ed

Thank you! I have been a little back and forth on going to Gulf State park or flying to WDW for the Fort. It would be a much easier trip for me to drive to the gulf, and I could have the benefit of taking my own bicycle, cooler for food and snacks and drinks. My dates that I have planned to travel are changing too, so I will need to look at a different availability. Going in August could mean a rather empty campground there, right? That's the part that would give me hesitation.

On the other hand, I could fly to Orlando to camp at the Fort, but I would have to figure out how to get a bicycle to the campground, buy a cooler and also food and snacks. I would be renting a small car, and I'm not sure how to transport a Walmart bike or even thrift store bike.

I did look at the pictures for #22, and that one looks very good, especially for tent camping. I will know more tomorrow.

Depends on when you go in August. School starts back in mid-Aug for many of us in Alabama so weekdays might be more available but the weekends will still be popular. Gulf won't be empty by any means and if you can get a spot on Live Oak, it's always popular as I said. It's the back and far reaches of the campground that can get empty. But since it is still before Labor Day and the park has a nice pool and nice bike trails to the beach and all over, getting a spot on Live Oak and having your bike and cooler would work pretty well as long as the weather was decent.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!