Guests that smell bad -- *BAD* -- in the park

The guy I referred to was a fit man of about 40 years of age. There was nothing wrong with him other than the God awful odor that emitted from him. If the individual appeared physically or mentally incapacitated in some manner I would not have brought it up. Everyone in the world is not afflicted with something. Some people are just rotten and lazy.

And the people being referred to by the OP were older and handicapped.

THis thread is hilarious. Between feces, farts and sweat.

Y’all may smell me in the parks. I switched to natural deodorant like Schmidt’s and pit paste. Haha! My health is more important than my odor.

I have a super sensitive nose and going to DL can be challenging at times. There are the over-cologners, the smokers, the "I can vape in line and nobody can smell it" people, the ones who use no deodorant, the ones who only wash their hair once a week (or less), the ones who spray their sunscreen in the middle of the parks. On hot days, no matter how much deodorant has been used, people can still be stinky. One night last fall, I was really wondering what people had been eating in DCA cuz half the park smelled like really bad farts.

I've learned a few things, like always ask for the front row on rides like Indy, always have a stack of napkins in my backpack to breathe through (like I had to on Pirates when the whole huge family in front of me didn't believe in deodorant), cover my nose with my hand or breathe through my mouth if there are people in front of me on the rides, etc.

The thing is, this can happen anywhere...there's a regular at the starbucks I frequent who dresses impeccably but wears way too much cologne and still smells like he hasn't washed his lower half any time recently. All you can really do is try to remove yourself from the offending smell. You can't control what other people smell like and you can't have people removed because you don't like the way they smell. :confused3

My wife and I were behind a couple in line for BTMRR a few years ago and one of them smelled so bad I almost vomited. We think it was the man and dear God he stunk. To this day I remember the odor from that guy. It was like the smell of rotting flesh. It was amazing how bad he smelled. Every now and then someone would walk by us and get a wif of it. They would shake their head like they just smelled some smelling sauce.

I know that smell and I think it may be rotting flesh. There is an older man at church who does have some health issues. His legs are very swollen and they are wrapped in bandages. They are not in good shape and I attribute his poor smell to that. I feel for him and am sorry his health is so poor. He's much older than the man and wife you mentioned, but "rotting" flesh may be the case.

There's just really no delicate way to handle such things :(

but in the end I think it's you who could use some sensitivity training here.

All you can really do is try to remove yourself from the offending smell. You can't control what other people smell like and you can't have people removed because you don't like the way they smell. :confused3

Exactly. Sure, we've all encountered someone with BO, but they're people, not objects in our own personal worlds, to be added and removed for our comfort. You're only near them for a short time. I think the best thing is to try and be kind.

Maybe a handkerchief sprayed with a little of your perfume, that you could put up to your nose if it was really bad?

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/our-pungent-history/

My thought would be "There but for the grace of God go I" and I'd do my best either to deal with it or get out of line. And I'd try very hard not to be judgy.

To the OP, and I'm not being sarky, put some cologne or essential oil on a tissue or hanky and zip it in a baggie and stick it in your purse. If you encounter something you deem objectionable to your delicate olfactory senses get it out and pretend you're dabbing your nose. I worked in an office in which we dealt with a lot of homeless and others who had less than optimal hygiene (for many reasons) and that's what we did.

I understand the sentiment that people may not be aware they smell and to be sensitive towards those who may have underlying issues causing this concern however I do find it a tad ironic that our culture is gravitating towards a no odor/fragrance or perfume environment so as not to offend people with sensitivities but that isnt inclusive of body odor.

I know that smell and I think it may be rotting flesh. There is an older man at church who does have some health issues. His legs are very swollen and they are wrapped in bandages. They are not in good shape and I attribute his poor smell to that. I feel for him and am sorry his health is so poor. He's much older than the man and wife you mentioned, but "rotting" flesh may be the case.

That was not the case. This guy was wearing shorts and a t shirt. There was nothing wrong with him other than the fact he needed to take a bath. He was speaking French and that is what I suspect was his issue. In my experience some French men tend to smell like crap. Some of them apparently think its attractive to do so.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the park guest that has to sit down in the spot vacated by the one with the issue. I think that's a very valid concern. I once sat down on Little Mermaid ride in a pool of urine. I think it would be grossly unfair to leave behind anything offensive for the next guests to have to deal with.

*They* were *disgusting*? No person--save pedophiles and select others--are disgusting. What if it was your mom or dad someone said that about? Did they smell? Sure. Did they leave a stench? Sure. Were these older people disgusting just by being stinky? NO.

I wasn't referring to their moral character. Suggesting that I was is a mischaracterization of what I meant, which is easily inferred from the context. My entire post was about their smell.

A million issues can cause incontinence, and not all of them are related to age or ability level.
The smell wasn't from incontinence. It was horrible BO. I can tell the difference.

Again, if someone can manage, to get up, get dressed, somehow get themselves to Disneyland and spend the day enjoying the attractions, tending to personal hygiene would seem to be within their capability.

Last edited:
... the ones who only wash their hair once a week (or less)...

This is actually really a fairly common hair care practice depending on your hair type and/or what treatment has been done to your hair. It's not even close to as gross as it sounds. Some do need to wash more, yes, but definitely there are several who can't wash more than once a week.

Those who have hair that is trained to this wash schedule you would never notice. Those who normally wash every other day, for example, you would notice if they suddenly went a week without washing their hair. The latter produces more oil to accommodate the more frequent washings. The former has less oil produced because of the less frequent washings.

Number of years back I had the first flight from Key West to Miami where I would change planes. We left KW late and it was a sprint to the plane in Miami and I got to the gate they were making last call. As I was about 3 to 4 rows from my seat all I could smell was the strong odor of patchouli and stale BO. As I got to my row I paused and noticed 2 things, my row had a missing/misaligned window (It was before seatguru) and the odor was coming from the girl I would be sitting next to for the next 3+ hours. The plane was pretty empty and it was 2-3-2 seating and I noticed there were few entire rows of the 3 seats empty a few rows away. As I paused she looked up and I said 'I'm in the wind..nevermind, I'll sit back here, go ahead and spread out" As I sat down there was a pilot deadheading sitting in the row behind me and had seen and heard me approach my original seat. He looked at me and said 'good call, that's why I picked this row and not the one next to her" with a smile on his face. He then told me he checked before he boarded and that the row I was in along with a few others were not going to have anybody else sitting in them. After a late night and early morning I grabbed a couple pillows from the overhead and made a bed in the 3 seats after we took off and slept almost the whole way home and never got another whiff of the patchouli and BO until I walked by her at baggage claim.

Exactly. Sure, we've all encountered someone with BO, but they're people, not objects in our own personal worlds, to be added and removed for our comfort. You're only near them for a short time. I think the best thing is to try and be kind.

Maybe a handkerchief sprayed with a little of your perfume, that you could put up to your nose if it was really bad?

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/our-pungent-history/

Well I dont disagree, I do also think we ask everyone to be courteous to one another in a variety of ways. Personal hygiene is one of them too.

There are the over-cologners

These are the worst. People have no idea how perfume/cologne harms those of us with sensitivities. I break out in hives and start wheezing if I'm near someone doused in cologned. It only takes a few minutes for it to cause these reactions. We ask our family not to wear cologne when they come to our house. The smell lingers for days and leaves me with a horrific headache.

I'd take the b.o. smell over cologne any day. But I'd prefer neither. Lol.

Again, if someone can manage, to get up, get dressed, somehow get themselves to Disneyland and spend the day enjoying the attractions, tending to personal hygiene would seem to be within their capability.

But can they? You may think so, but you really don't know for sure. Your insensitivity here is borderline obnoxious.

Stuff happens. People approach life differently, even basic things like this. Not a huge deal in my book.

This is actually really a fairly common hair care practice depending on your hair type and/or what treatment has been done to your hair. It's not even close to as gross as it sounds. Some do need to wash more, yes, but definitely there are several who can't wash more than once a week.

Those who have hair that is trained to this wash schedule you would never notice. Those who normally wash every other day, for example, you would notice if they suddenly went a week without washing their hair. The latter produces more oil to accommodate the more frequent washings. The former has less oil produced because of the less frequent washings.
Yes! And I also only shampoo my scalp. It just dries out the length of my hair to use shampoo on it.

My sister washes her hair on a similar schedule and I can smell when it's been more than a day. Just like I can smell which people in line at Starbucks on a Sunday morning haven't brushed their teeth. I can smell if my husband had Chinese or seafood at lunch. Sadly, I'm extremely sensitive to all smells and can smell things others don't notice. :(

These are the worst. People have no idea how perfume/cologne harms those of us with sensitivities. I break out in hives and start wheezing if I'm near someone doused in cologne. It only takes a few minutes for it to cause these reactions. We ask our family not to wear cologne when they come to our house. The smell lingers for days and leaves me with a horrific headache.

I'd take the b.o. smell over cologne any day. But I'd prefer neither. Lol.

I've actually had that discussion with friends before! I was complaining about an over-cologner and a friend said "At least it wasn't BO" and I was like "BO is gross, but cologne makes me feel very sick". We were leaving DCA following the MSEP one night and it was wall to wall people leaving when some idiot sprayed their stinky cologne in the crowd. Even the woman in front of me was pulling her shirt up over her nose. Yuck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!