Guest of Honor Badge vs. Safety?

Oh, my! I had been thinking the EXACT thing about my 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 year olds! No, I don't think you are being overprotective at ALL. It is a very real concern. I am so glad I am not alone! Even with your children "not out of your sight," we all know that a child of this age can take off in an instant. I watch my kids like a hawk and twice in his 3 1/2 years my son has disappeared from me momentarily. That is a terrifying experience, and it only takes once. Anyway, I am also concerned about the pins in the badges, mine are always running around, and it would be just like my older son to trip over his too-big feet and fall on that pin. Now, how is THAT for worrying about the possibilities?!! LOL Best of luck with your decision, I still haven't completely decided yet.

Got our Disney Catalog in the mall today and it had a sneak peek section for Christmas. They had the Personalized Mickey Santa Hats inside for $ 12.00 (they are regular Santa hats, but with Mickey ears too!). We had planned on buying these at MVMCP, so I went ahead and bought them today online! Saved 20% on them with the Book of Pooh coupon so they came to $ 9.60 each! :D

http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_Id=11833&Product_Id=81228

Oh, yeah, got 'em personalized too. Guess it is easier for me to keep up with him since it is just the two of us, plus he is almost 5 and he has been taught all about strangers (we took a wonderful course our local police station held).

LMHB & Mommemouse, have you thought about a code word to use with your kids? We have one that we use and he knows that unless someone gives him that code word then they are strangers (regardless of who they are or what they say) and not from Mommie. Just a thought! ;) ;)

Great idea, Pete's Mom, about the code word. We have used this policy (never needed, of course) with our daughters since our oldest was about 5 - 16 years now!!! :eek:
About the pins on the Guest of Honor badges, they are safety pins, LMHB - almost NO chance of anyone running and getting poked with the pin!
Hope that this helps! :)

about two 8 year old boys who wandered off while hiking with their parents.

Their code word was "Butt Wipe". What was so funny was that the search crew and park rangers were stomping through the woods yelling, "BUTT WIPE" over and over and over. Said they got some funny looks from others on the trail.

They found them after about 2 hours. They were back down in the play area, said they got tired of hiking and came back to play. :rolleyes:

:D Pete's Mom!

Caution to All Others : Try NOT to choose BUTT WIPE as your code word. It COULD come back to haunt you! :D

I have had a GOH badge for my DD for over a year now. We have visited the park three times since the purchase. She is now 3 1/2 years old. Now that she talks a mile a minute, she doesn't even need a name tag. The first thing she says to people is "Hi my name is ___, what's yours". My daughter was never out of my sight for a minute. I even took the advise of a previous post on losing children and had my daughter's information (name, where we are staying, cell phone number etc), on a luggage tage I attached to her clothing. Ariel thought that was a great idea as did some of the other princesses. Many autographs in her book are made out to her, love <character name>.

I am a very nervous, over protective mother, with a very active DD but I feel safe in Disney wearing a name tag.

Guest of Honor name tags are the greatest!!!!!!! We just returned Sunday night late (9-30), and we loved wearing them. Cast members called us by our first names, and the characters loved knowing them for signing their autograph books. At the Kidcot stations at Epcot, they were perfect for the cast members when signing their passports. We definitely got extra attention by wearing them. Even my dh never took his off! They were great!

In addition to getting them through www.giftsofalifetime.com, you can order them directly from WDW Mail Order.

Limitation on ordering from WDW is that you're limited to "ready made" names and stock on hand. You'll have to check first to see what they have, and don't be surprised at the omissions - SAMUEL ? CAROLINE? TRACY?

WDW Mail Order - $5 each, but no personalization
Giftsofalifetime.com - $7.50, but can personalize

I had to get 3 at one, and 4 from the other!

I've seen posts before that mention WDW mail order... exactly how do you do that? Is there a website or a phone number? I am assuming this is different from the Disney Store.

You can contact WDW Mail Order to get info and to order merchandise available only in the parks and in the resorts. The CMs I talked with were extremely helpful, will take all the time you need, and can be fairly chatty <g>.

Call: 407-363-6200
Fax: 407-352-6369
Email: wdw.mail.order@disney.com

In any case, just start describing what you're looking for (narrowly or broadly). They apparently have a great computer system that lets them search for items throughout all the various merchandise locations in all the parks, and can even tell the quantities available.

As a testimonial, we were looking for some sort of pre-trip "prize" for our 15-yr-old son, and thought about a cap, maybe with a Test Track theme. This CM looked through her system, found a couple of options, and let me know a part number. The next day when I called to place the order, I was told it was discontinued. That CM then called the store outside of Test Track, and asked someone there to pull a cap off the rack and hold it for their runner to pick up.

A little Disney magic once again.

Just another thought...

My kids wore their badges on their pin lanyards. This also helped eliminate fights over who's was who's as they had many of the same pins.

I hadn't even heard about the badges so I didn't have that concern. We were just worried the kids would get out of our site for even 1 second. They are too old for those hand-holder leash things.

We got the planning videos and have pointed out park workers. We have spent a lot of time telling them not to talk to anyone who doesn't work at the park if we aren't with them. They know if they can't find us they are to go to the nearest shop, rest., attraction, etc and find a park worker.

I have to admit that when I first heard about the GOH badges, my first thought was about safety. As parents, we've always been told that you should not display the child's name. In fact, when we went on school field trips, each child was given a badge so that it identified them as part of the school group, but they only had numbers on them.

JMHO
Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter