Guest experiences with daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: upon further review of camera footage it seems on at least one day an unknown CM walked all the way in and then left .I assume this was a check despite trash and towel service taking place less than 2 hours prior.

Kinda odd that is all.

There's a sizing issue with these hangers, though, and they do NOT stay on the handle well at all. It fell off every time we opened or closed the door, and when we came back to our room after EPCOT on Monday, it was laying on the ground right at the edge of the railing (we were on the 3rd floor) - no telling how long it had been off the door, but how are they even supposed to know what rooms are physically occupied if the hangers won't stay on?

I had the same issue... almost to the point of being comical. Sunday morning, I woke up and decided I’d rather sleep in than go to rope drop. Got out of bed, put the RO sign on the door. An hour or two later I finally got ready to go and found the sign on the ground. I shut the door, put it back on, took a few steps, realized I forgot my sunglasses, popped back in the room to grab them, and emerged to find it on the floor again. Put it back on the door and left for the park. Came back a few hours later, ground again. (Directly in front of my door handle, so it was obvious what room it belonged to.) Stopped using it after that, since it was clear it wasn’t being heeded anyways.

I thought maybe it was just me - but guess not.

I had the same issue... almost to the point of being comical. Sunday morning, I woke up and decided I’d rather sleep in than go to rope drop. Got out of bed, put the RO sign on the door. An hour or two later I finally got ready to go and found the sign on the ground. I shut the door, put it back on, took a few steps, realized I forgot my sunglasses, popped back in the room to grab them, and emerged to find it on the floor again. Put it back on the door and left for the park. Came back a few hours later, ground again. (Directly in front of my door handle, so it was obvious what room it belonged to.) Stopped using it after that, since it was clear it wasn’t being heeded anyways.

I thought maybe it was just me - but guess not.

I didn't think about it until I read these posts, but I had the same experience, lol! Every time I opened the door, I found it on the ground! It was a rather blustery weekend!

Disclaimer: I don't know if this incident was a matter of staff clumsily trying to implement the room check policy or if it was some sort of miscommunication with the resort/engineering, but I thought I'd share just in case it was the former.

My family and I stayed at ASMu for one night on Jan. 8th. The next morning at 7:30 we were woken up by a knock at the door immediately followed by someone trying to open the door (I had the latch on). It was Engineering, asking what time we were checking out. Then about 15 minutes later, another knock, same question. Then about 30 minutes later, Mousekeeping...same question. And then engineering (I think) at least twice more before 11am.

At no time did anyone ask to be admitted to the room, so like I said, could have been a separate thing, but I found it odd, especially since the new policy on room entry had just started. We did speak to the front desk and I did bring up the policy but the CM sort of breezed past my question on that and asked if we had a Room Occupied sign on the door. We didn't have a sign in the room at all.

I'm thinking this qualifies under the Guest experience with room checks thread.

Secret Service Arrests Credit Card Fraud Suspect at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...redit-card-fraud-suspect-at-art-of-animation/

"Investigations by Walt Disney World security lead the Secret Service to arrest a guest staying at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort on charges involving credit card fraud.

Disney security initially became suspicious after noticing an excessive amount in purchases made at Disney Springs charged to the same card used by a guest who had booked a two-week stay at Art of Animation. After they approached the room, located in the Cars area, and received no answer they entered and found numerous credit cards; they quickly contacted the Secret Service.

$5,000 in fraudulent charges were made on the card attached to the room, according to the Secret Service.

While the room was still being investigated four Brazilian men appeared. One of the men, Fabio Valdarnini, possessed a card decoder and dozens of cards inside his luggage.

Valdarnini was promptly arrested and is currently in custody at the Orange County Jail. There is an ongoing investigation to determine where the accused got their information as well as how many current and prior victims there are.

Source: WFTV"

~NM

We were at YC from 1/26-2/4. Housekeeping cleaned our room every day and we were unaware of any “checks” though we have no way of knowing who was in our room when we were out. Had I not known about the new policy I would not have known anything had changed.

I'm thinking this qualifies under the Guest experience with room checks thread.

Secret Service Arrests Credit Card Fraud Suspect at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...redit-card-fraud-suspect-at-art-of-animation/

"Investigations by Walt Disney World security lead the Secret Service to arrest a guest staying at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort on charges involving credit card fraud.

Disney security initially became suspicious after noticing an excessive amount in purchases made at Disney Springs charged to the same card used by a guest who had booked a two-week stay at Art of Animation. After they approached the room, located in the Cars area, and received no answer they entered and found numerous credit cards; they quickly contacted the Secret Service.

$5,000 in fraudulent charges were made on the card attached to the room, according to the Secret Service.

While the room was still being investigated four Brazilian men appeared. One of the men, Fabio Valdarnini, possessed a card decoder and dozens of cards inside his luggage.

Valdarnini was promptly arrested and is currently in custody at the Orange County Jail. There is an ongoing investigation to determine where the accused got their information as well as how many current and prior victims there are.

Source: WFTV"

~NM
This wasn't discovered as a result of the new room checks. Security went to this room after suspicious credit card activity was identified.

We were at YC from 1/26-2/4. Housekeeping cleaned our room every day and we were unaware of any “checks” though we have no way of knowing who was in our room when we were out. Had I not known about the new policy I would not have known anything had changed.
This was our experience as well. We stayed at the YC, GF and BWI from 1/27-2/3.

We were at the Yacht Club from January 29-February 3. Our party had 3 rooms and at least one room was occupied for an afternoon break each day. One room had someone knock while they were there (no sign up) to make a requested repair. One room didn't get serviced one day when the sign was up in the afternoon. Overall, new new policy had no impact on our stay.

The incident happened on Monday January 22nd at the Beach Club. I was sick, started not to feel well. Then we went back to the room from the park around 1pm. Room was not done yet. Passed out for a while. Then around 3, we decided to do a quick walk in the lobby hoping housekeeping would stop at that time. I got sick in the bathroom lobby. Back to the room, no housekeeping yet, passed out on the bed again. While I was sleeping, housekeeping came and my husband told them I was sleeping and sick to please come back a little later. My husband woke me up, I went to the bathroom, and someone came while I was there saying Housekeeping called them. My husband told him I was in the bathroom to give us a minute we would get out of the room, and I don't know what exactly what was said, but my husband said he never felt as much as a criminal as he did. They did not want to let me finish. I hurried up, we got out of the room, when back to the lobby while they worked on our room, I got sick again in the bathroom lobby....

I wasn't able to drink anything until about 1am, and was able to eat some at 11am. So yeah, I was really sick and the lack of compassion was.. yeah.

Last edited:
We stayed at POP from 01/25-02/03. We declined housekeeping, though because of a 1 AM arrival on 01/26 we didn't go down until late that afternoon. At 930 AM on the 01/27 we were awoken by repeated knocking on the door. I tried to tell him just a second, but finally went to door in night shirt. An older gentleman started his spiel about needing to check the room, I opened door and said whatever, we were obviously asleep. He did not enter.

For the next several days, I put a homemade sign on door lock stating we were asleep and to come back after 11 am. We were not disturbed on those days.

On 02/02, we got a knock on the door at 830 am, and she came in walked throughout room, including all the way into bathroom, and commented that is smelled nice (we had just been down to heat up breakfast in food court and brought it back with us).

No idea about the other days

Room Check Experience at POFQ week of January 8.

I was sick (very :mad:) the first two days of the trip. Spent days in room sleeping with room occupied sign posted. First day there was a knock about 3pm, and someone saying something outside door. Figured it was housekeeping so I ignored it. Then the someone at the door unlocked it and walked in. Needless to say it caught me off guard and freaked me out (nothing had been mentioned at check in about a this new protocol.)

The Disney staffer (dressed in regular Port Orleans garb) handed me an 'official' looking card explaining the room check procedure and then he explained it as well. Struck me as odd, but I was half out of it, and he left. Second day same thing, knock at door, this time I opened it. Room check guy. I asked WHY they were doing this. He said:

'Ever since shooting in Las Vegas we are required to check every room on property everyday.' The room check amounted to a 5 second look around. If I hadn't been sick I never would have known, I would have been in the parks.

(The new 'Room Occupied' signs have fine print that basically says 'we can enter your room anytime, even if this sign is posted.')

Reminding again....only your personal experiences with the room checks are to be posted on this thread. It is not a place to post questions or comments on the policy. If you can't find an in-progress thread on the Resorts board that's suitable for your question, start a new thread.

Reminding again....only your personal experiences with the room checks are to be posted on this thread. It is not a place to post questions or comments on the policy. If you can't find an in-progress thread on the Resorts board that's suitable for your question, start a new thread.

My search feature is not working .. I figured it would be easier to take one post to find out one piece of info then take up a whole thread given people have had experience with people coming into a room .

Just back from a 2/7 to 2/13 stay at CBR.
Only one afternoon was I in the room during our stay and I opened the door when I heard a knock and "security check."

I invited her in and she took a hard look around the room as she walked thru, while asking me if we needed anything and asking how our stay was.

I understand the need for security but wow this would be annoying if you wanted to take a quick unscheduled nap.

Our stay is at Vero Beach, checking in 2/12/18 through 2/16/18. We are long-term DVC members with a home resort at Animal Kingdom. This is our second stay at Vero Beach. This time was no where near a “Welome Home” experience as we had during our previous stay. Never in all of our Disney stays or cruises have we felt less Welcome.

The WORST is the daily room check! We had absolutely no idea that they’ve started such an invasive practice. Day one a knock at the door while both my husband and I were naked as we were cleaning up after a trip to the beach. They stated they needed to empty the trash. I had only a towel wrapped around to answer the door and they said they could come back but they had to come in. Curious. I dressed and let them in. Next day we were in bed already again my husband was naked and I had a nightgown on. I had the “Room Occupied” sign on and it was 7:15 pm. We took this trip to rest and relax while my husband was recovering from as serious illness. I answered the knock again and was told they needed to check towels. I told her we were in bed and my husband was not dressed. She left. A bit later the phone rang (we were both dozing off) and it was the head of housekeeping apologizing for the interruption but they needed to schedule a time with us when we wouldn’t be in our room...CRAZY and invasive...I told them the we would be out at 8am for breakfast. We expected the normal treatment of 4 days before room service in Villas. I searched the internet and this is how we found out that it is a mandatory daily invasion.

They made their “visit” this morning while we were gone at 8am as we suggested. As I noted my husband is recovering so he is in the room the majority of the time. Odd thing is our room was vacant for a short while in the pm and while we were gone, a “check” occurred for the second time today as our trash was emptied again. I resent this “secretive” practice. We took this vacation to decompress and it has become stressful. Maybe if it had been explained ahead of time it wouldn’t have bothered us. The staff here is not Disney-friendly like we’ve always experienced.

We’ve always loved Disney resorts for their friendliness and quality but I can truthfully say that I’m glad we are leaving tomorrow. Not at all what I expected. This is at best an average stay at best. This is a beautiful resort and extremely clean but our bed was LOUSY so our sleep was affected and therefore, we were prone to napping. Can’t they communicate this new “room check” policy? Sure the “room occupied” card states in fine print that they can enter the room at anytime...I’m sure that has always been the case...doesn’t mean they MUST enter the room daily. I will never return to this resort and I’ll never recommend to anyone to purchase DVC again. We have had at least 8 people buy into DVC solely because of our recommendations and experience. “Welcome Home” was a wonderful marketing tool but they’ve now missed the mark as it's not at all homey.

Last edited:
We just got home from Poly & had no problems. I was one who was outraged by the policy, but it never effected us. We usually left the room between 9-10am & returned by late evening. Housekeeping serviced the room while we were gone. We went back to the room on Wednesday about 3 & housekeeping had already come. No one ever disturbed us.

We did a short weekend trip to AKL last weekend and were not disturbed at all. We normally came back to the room around 2 or 3 for a nap and housekeeping had already come. There were no other intrusions. Just from reading the responses in this thread, the trend seems to be that telling housekeeping you do not need service triggers a visit from security. Hopefully Disney will get that straightened out by better training their staff on what constitutes suspicious behavior versus tired park guests wanting to take a nap undisturbed.

Just spent a week at BCV (cash reservation). We had a Peter Pan 'Off To Neverland' sign to place on our door which I did every time we were in the room, as well as placing the deadbolt, and the cross-bar. Our times leaving the room varied each day, some mornings we slept in, and took our time, and other mornings we were gone by 8am. There was only one day we came back & our room had not been serviced yet, but we were heading back to the pool so it was not an issue. By the time we came back it was done. Another time we came back as she was cleaning, and I just requested fresh towels, and to empty the trash, we did not get a visit for a security check after that.. perhaps because she was in our room when we came back, and kept coming in & out with the towels/trash,etc.

Only issue was the morning of our last full day as we left our room the 'Peter Pan' sign had been removed. I'm not sure if it was by housekeeping or another guest. So, for our last night we did not have the sign. Our last morning, as we were packing up housekeeping did knock (and try to enter), however I opened the door to say we'd be leaving within the hour. She was fine with that, and actually was still near our room when we left with our luggage.

I don't know if any 'checks' were done while we weren't there. I did find it odd that our room occupied sign disappeared. I also did not notice many rooms utilizing that sign if they even had one. I did walk by one room that had made their own typed sign stating they were not to be disturbed before 11am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter