Guess who's back, back again? Time to say bye bye bye to my couch and hello to a new start. Roxymama's 10mile/15k fall training plan

roxymama

DIS Veteran
Happy July Everyone! This will be a placeholder for my table of contents and introduction.

For those of you who don't know me, I used to be a very active journaler and you can catch up with all my ramblings about running and lots of long-winded, picture-filled race recaps here as I journeyed from total newbie to running my first ever marathon in the span of just a few years.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/roxymamas-5k-to-marathon-time-to-collect-another-castle.3396392/
You may be asking why I do not just continue on with that thread and my plan is to eventually post my race recaps for this training plan in that thread, but I felt like I needed to start fresh and new to re-focus myself on getting back into the habit of journaling and training.

I have some “deep thoughts with roxy” to come your way about my recent year and where I'm at now and my new goals. But also probably really dumb gifs and debates about the merits of chocolate chips vs. raisins.

I have signed up for two fall back to back A races and requested my latest badger plan. So everyone stay tuned for more from me tonight. But first...three very easy miles.
I'll also include my castaway cay and first cruise mini reports in this thread too!

All About Me:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/g...-15k-fall-training-plan.3760000/post-60848751
All About Race #1 Chicago Women's 10 mile: https://www.disboards.com/threads/g...-15k-fall-training-plan.3760000/post-60852590

Last edited:

What 10 mile race? I’m signed up for Chicago October 5th.

ME TOO!!!!! I just registered yesterday to beat the price increase later this week. I'm only doing the 10 mile and not the challenge. Dis-meetup?
I can't remember exactly but I have a feeling you are faster than me for the actual running portion.

What 10 mile race? I’m signed up for Chicago October 5th.

PS Sparkle Athletic is having their christmas in july sale for buy one, get one 50% off of anything. I may have gotten a new rose gold visor and skirt to match the race theme. I think I'll only wear one. Because I'm extra, but not that extra outside of rundisney. I am going to post about it (the race, etc.) tonight after work.

New journals are exciting!!
I have to learn the new best way to insert gifs on the new and shiny disboards. Please teach me your ways, wise one!

New @roxymama ones even more so :)
And there may be posts about riding bikes...with pictures of bikes!! And I bought a new sparkle skirt yesterday, so also sparkles! :)

A+ Gif choice

BOOM! Following.

FISTPUMP!

Yay new journal! It's so shiny!

If you don't read your quote with the crab from Moana's voice, then you are doing it wrong :)

ALL ABOUT ME:

Hi Everyone who I have not met virtually or in person! Here's a little about me.

I'm roxymama. I go by either roxy (childhood nickname, based on a character from the musical Chicago...because I am from Chicago and was very into dancing) or by my real name Bridget (I am SUPER IRISH and live in a SUPER IRISH neighborhood on the southside. My spf is always 50+)

RDpci5.jpeg

I've been active my whole life whether it was dancing (met my husband swing dancing so all those dance classes paid off), rowing (I was a college rower way back in the day), or power-walking through theme parks. Back in 2015 I started getting tired of watching my family and friends run races from the sidelines and used a WDW Disney racecation as an excuse to start running. Show of hands of people who can identify with that story motivation!!

I'm in my late 30's and have graduated to the 36-40 or 35-39 age group divisions. Though recently I found myself in 36-45 and freaked out a tad because the women in my area over 40 are FAAAASSSST!!!!

RDpic1.jpeg

In 2015 I did a 5k every month from May through my first WDW 5k race at marathon weekend. I ran with my father-in-law who is an avid runner and the source of my hand-me-down Runners magazines. My first race in May was the weekend I found out my mom had cancer, she became a huge part of my running journey and one of my biggest chearleaders.

In 2016 my husband started running with me too. He already swims and bikes so quickly became a triathlete. I tackled my first 8k, 10k and 15k that year thanks to the help of @DopeyBadger who after some questions about his training and how the heck I could try to get past 3.1 mile, turned into my Coach :) I got my first 5k starting with a 27 and my first POT for a rundisney race for the following Spring! My husband ran 20 races that year. My family had the run bug.

In 2017 I ran my first half marathon at Tink in DL. I started meeting disboard members in real life both at race weekends and at midwest races. I got a lot of PRs this year and Coach paced me to my best pace for a distance over a 5k (and my first race were the course came in short; at least it makes for a good story!) I ran out of my first rundisney corral A (it was for a 5k, but I still am proud of that.)
My daughter also ran her very first kids race the weekend before my first half marathon. BTW I have a 1st grade daughter, so being a working mom who runs will be a thing I bring up a lot. Also OMG how is she already going into 1st grade????

RDpic4.jpeg

In 2018 I had my sights set on one goal. To run my first marathon. I was not selected in the Chicago lottery so I ran with a charity called Girls on the Run. I am forever thankful for the disboards for believing in me and answering my thousands of questions and supporting me. I had a half PR in the spring and an in-race half PR during my marathon. And I finished sub-5 which blew my mind. 2018 was a big year of change personally. I was promoted early in the year right at the same time my mom's health really started to decline. My mom passed away in July and running was my therapy. But I became more introverted about sharing on the boards and started pulling back. I'll write a lot about things stemming from that and what it did for my motivation, my mental health, my priorities in life, etc etc and how it affected me during my marathon training but then once I hit that goal and had to figure out what was next. My life last year and this year is busier than it's ever been. But I'm not sure I've been more proud of myself ever than in the finishers area of that marathon. There was no rundisney in 2018, but I had a trip in January 19 to look forward to.
RDpic3.jpeg

2019 started with a trip with my dad to WDW for marathon weekend. My good friend asked me to run the half marathon with her and we had a great time. (I have a TR about it that I'll link today, as I've remember I never finished the last day....DOH! Gotta do that. ) That race was purely for fun with no goals. I ran my an 8k for fun in the winter. And DNS'd a spring half that I was training for to get re-motivated. I probably could have gutted it out just on my fitness alone but I was siiiiiicccck and it felt stupid at the time to push myself and maybe get injured. I stalled out hard on what to do next and went weeks without running. My husband hadn't done a race at all in 2019 and was starting to get upset at his inactivity too, so he started meeting with his tri-coach to run stairs and do strength workouts and he started run/walking every single morning. So I got re-motivated to get me back to what made me happy. And now I've got two races lined up for this Fall and I've started running to get my fitness and my head back in the game!
RDpic2.jpeg

I'll start a new post to let you know about my Fall plans. I'll be running a Women's 10 mile on 10/5 in Chicago and The Hot Chocolate Chicago 15k 11/3. This will be my fifth HC in a row so I'll get 5 year legacy status.

Please join with me because I'm happy to be rambling again.

TL;DR I am long-winded, everyone who reads my full posts gets a medal at the end of the thread.

Last edited:
I read the whole thing. Where's my medal?

Also ... I cannot believe that roxykiddo is in first grade already. They grow up so fast!

Also ... one of the reasons why I refuse to stop running no matter what is because I'm afraid I'll never start up again. So I'm super impressed that you're starting up again and setting some goals!

I want sparkle bike pics!

I want to see this chocolate chips vs. raisins debate, largely because I cannot believe chocolate chips do not come out on top every time.

Things got weird for about two pages here. Raisins ventured into the running thread for like a week and onto other people's journal. It was a weird time in running thread history...
https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...me-to-collect-another-castle.3396392/page-177
I read the whole thing. Where's my medal?

Also ... I cannot believe that roxykiddo is in first grade already. They grow up so fast!

Also ... one of the reasons why I refuse to stop running no matter what is because I'm afraid I'll never start up again. So I'm super impressed that you're starting up again and setting some goals!

This new journal makes me so happy! Welcome back!

Now I can feel like I'm doing stuff while seeing your instagram treadmill updates instead of going "I should probably be doing that too"

Go get’em! Love you!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww gaaaaahhhhhhhhh. Thanks honey!
Everyone meet my hubs, the one and only roxyhubby.
Y'all can decide which one he is in this picture

Now I can feel like I'm doing stuff while seeing your instagram treadmill updates instead of going "I should probably be doing that too"
Ha! That darn treadmill has seen so many miles...
But I think my running days are on the downhill not the uphill for the rest of the year... so now it's my turn to admire your posts :)

Welcome back Roxy! I've seen you around these parts a bit. Following along and really enjoyed your story!

BTW.... I think raisins in cookies are FAR better than nuts in brownies.... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!