Guardians to replace UoE and Ratatouille coming to Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.
not to sound harsh but we all know EPCOT’s original intent was to make lots of money.
Guardians will drive attendance so I think it fits perfectly with EPCOT’s original intent.

Walt Disney was quite rich. So is Iger. The intent is the same in 2020 as it was in 1960.

I don't think it's original, Walt's, intent or even Roy's intent was totally to make money. The original community concept would have allowed some people and businesses in free as part of the research aspect. If you really go look at anything Walt Disney did, it usually lost money for a while, sometimes forever. I'm not commenting on anything today. Where's this 1960 year for? That's not any year that I know of associated with any new park ideas. I'm not saying that they don't intend to make money; they are a corporation. I don't think evidence supports that Walt's ideas were all or even mostly money based.

not to sound harsh but we all know EPCOT’s original intent was to make lots of money.
Guardians will drive attendance so I think it fits perfectly with EPCOT’s original intent.

Walt Disney was quite rich. So is Iger. The intent is the same in 2020 as it was in 1960.

Not to mention Ellen’s Energy would have been closed very quickly this summer if it were still open. Then what? Leave it empty for a bunch of years until it inevitably becomes an IP based attraction anyway, or a makeshift festival center? We’d all love if someone could churn out original attractions that are beloved like Haunted Mansion, or Pirates are every time there’s a vacancy for a new attraction, but that’s unrealistic. If Guardians is as innovative as it sounds like it’ll be, it will be just as successful as Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance, and I’m pretty certain a lot of people would be heartbroken if those two rides no longer existed

Walt Disney was a genius visionary that built something great that he wanted everyone to be able to afford and enjoy. Bob Iger is a corporate vulture that was handed a gold mine and tried to squeeze every dollar out of it as possible.

Are you sure Walt Disney would have been able to adapt and succeed in this era the way he did back in the 40s, 50s and 60s? Things are much, much different now than they were then. I think there would be certain things that would have the Walt touch than there currently are, but in order to continue to succeed and give family’s a place to enjoy together, he too would have had to adjust some things. Not to mention how expensive EPCOT, in its original plan would be to keep up the way Walt envisioned it to.

Absolutely. Disney wouldn't be as big as it is now, but I think it would be better. More creativity that was pure Disney and less purchased established IP and sports.

Then I don’t envision they’d have survived this long. Maybe I’m wrong, and there’s no way to know who’s opinion would be right, unfortunately. But I think of it like movies. Everyone begs for original concepts, and when they’re made, no one goes. Everyone says no more sequels, trilogy’s, remakes, and reboots, but those are still the movies that make the most money. What we say we want, and what we actually want are two completely different things

Are you sure Walt Disney would have been able to adapt and succeed in this era the way he did back in the 40s, 50s and 60s? Things are much, much different now than they were then. I think there would be certain things that would have the Walt touch than there currently are, but in order to continue to succeed and give family’s a place to enjoy together, he too would have had to adjust some things. Not to mention how expensive EPCOT, in its original plan would be to keep up the way Walt envisioned it to.

Yes. I think Walt Disney would have been like Steve Jobs (RIP). A guy continuing to break the envelope and come up with new idea. Would EPCOT as he wanted it to be still be around today in that form? No way to know. Even with the Steve Jobs comparison he had several idea that just didn't work out initially (like the Apple Lisa but that eventually became the macintosh).

Yes. I think Walt Disney would have been like Steve Jobs (RIP). A guy continuing to break the envelope and come up with new idea. Would EPCOT as he wanted it to be still be around today in that form? No way to know. Even with the Steve Jobs comparison he had several idea that just didn't work out initially (like the Apple Lisa but that eventually became the macintosh).

True. But Apple, even under Steve Jobs has/had merged or bought a lot of big tech properties. it’s all, as Walt would say, “plussing” the brand, “plussing” the experience

True. But Apple, even under Steve Jobs has/had merged or bought a lot of big tech properties. it’s all, as Walt would say, “plussing” the brand, “plussing” the experience

Agree. I doubt Walt would be opposed to the Star Wars or marvel buyouts but I think he'd also be trying to create cool new stuff as well.

Agree. I doubt Walt would be opposed to the Star Wars or marvel buyouts but I think he'd also be trying to create cool new stuff as well.

100%. I think you’d still have new things added to the park that felt more Walt, but I definitely think he’d be advised and know that to continue his dream, he’d have to adapt to IPs that may not have been his own. I’m not sure in Walt’s creativity with no advisement you get the Animated renaissance of the 80s and 90s.

Yeah, things he made and loved:

- Zorro
- Davy Crockett
- Sleeping Beaury
- Cinderella
- Pinocchio
- Treasure Island
- Mary Poppins

he loved adapting IP.

BTW, Jobs bought the IP necessary for the iPhone. You guys are insane.

Yeah, things he made and loved:

- Zorro
- Davy Crockett
- Sleeping Beaury
- Cinderella
- Pinocchio
- Treasure Island
- Mary Poppins

he loved adapting IP.

BTW, Jobs bought the IP necessity for the iPhone. You guys are insane.

I mean, you could go beyond that, even. Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Alice in Wonderland, Jungle Book ...

There‘s a whole film about his quest to get the rights to Mary Poppins. There was also a struggle around him getting the rights to Winnie the Pooh.

Most of what you have experienced, know and love in the parks has been created by thousands of OTHER people and their ingenuity, creativity and editorial process. The spirit of its leader is a positive guiding light but it’s naive to say that he’s the only one whose hallmark is on property and no one else has ever made a positive impact on the company...

Is the rumored open date for Ratatouille really Spring 2021 now? I've seen that in a few places. They must be just about done with construction by now? Thinking of a mid-late October trip, and wondering if it might be open then.

Is the rumored open date for Ratatouille really Spring 2021 now? I've seen that in a few places. They must be just about done with construction by now? Thinking of a mid-late October trip, and wondering if it might be open then.
Yes, construction is nearly done but the thought is they’d rather hold it until more people can come.

Then I don’t envision they’d have survived this long. Maybe I’m wrong, and there’s no way to know who’s opinion would be right, unfortunately. But I think of it like movies. Everyone begs for original concepts, and when they’re made, no one goes. Everyone says no more sequels, trilogy’s, remakes, and reboots, but those are still the movies that make the most money. What we say we want, and what we actually want are two completely different things
This!!!! This is spot on. People love to say "Hollywood has ran out of ideas because they keep rehashing things", but as soon as they drop something new nobody takes a chance on it therefore making the studios second guess themselves on dropping new content. Marvel movies has content from since the 40's and 50's to go off on but other studios don't have that luxury. With that said a mixture of original content and a remix as you might say I feel is the perfect recipe for Disney attractions to go off of

The latest construction photos show that basically everything is done accept for the attraction sign. People are cleaning up and installing light bulbs. Prep to mount the attraction sign are underway. Could it be opening this weekend?

The latest construction photos show that basically everything is done accept for the attraction sign. People are cleaning up and installing light bulbs. Prep to mount the attraction sign are underway. Could it be opening this weekend?
I know we are in weird times but Disney doesn’t just go surprise! We’re opening this tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!