Guardians of the Galaxy - does intensity vary?

goodeats

DIS Veteran
Rode Mission Dropout for the first time yesterday and was taken back by the intensity of the ride. The drops never let up. Our song was Free Ride, which was super fun, but my girls (9 and 7) did not want to ride again. Are all the versions like that? It also didn't help that the elevator shaft was warmer and it took a long time for the open air to be seen at the top. It was definitely a motion sickness trigger for me. At the same time now I want to see the other 5 versions!

I feel like it varies. There are times when I ride it where I feel like the drops are huge and my ears pop as we drop down from the very top. Other times, it seems we don't drop as far. Even my aunt, who only comes once or twice a year notices. She loves this ride and loves when it drops you multiple times very fast, so to her it is perfect. Me not so much lol. I ride it all the time, but am scared of the randomness of the drops.

Yes, the different songs have different drop patterns. Some have more/faster drops than others.

We ride Guardians all the time (about weekly, just rode Saturday), and I’ve never experienced it being notably warm, so I’d say that was a fluke or your perception of warm is a lot different than mine...

I thought I was imagining it. The last time I rode it seemed more intense (have only been on it a few times). Loved it either way. :)

Yes- definitely. We got one of the most intense with DD and now she won't set foot on it again.

Rode Mission Dropout for the first time yesterday and was taken back by the intensity of the ride. The drops never let up. Our song was Free Ride, which was super fun, but my girls (9 and 7) did not want to ride again. Are all the versions like that? It also didn't help that the elevator shaft was warmer and it took a long time for the open air to be seen at the top. It was definitely a motion sickness trigger for me. At the same time now I want to see the other 5 versions!
OMG, I think that is the only GOTG song/ride I have never experienced! Every time I hope for that one! Rode it nearly 20 times now.

Somewhere there is a list of each of the 6 songs and the number of drops for each song, which differs.

:wizard:

We've ridden this ride a lot and have gotten all the different songs available and I honestly do not think one song is much different in intensity to the others - it's an intense ride, but we love that aspect of it, that is what makes it fun.

First off I’m jealous you got Free Ride! We went the weekend before last with the goal of hitting all of the songs and we rode that ride 18 times (I’m a dork and I kept a chart ) and never got Free Ride! That said I felt like the drops did vary but the ride never seemed significantly more or less intense. We got born to the wild and give up the funk the most times.

I've ridden a bunch and had all the songs multiple times. I agree with sherilaine that the intensity isn't really all that different between songs. That is, if you can handle one, you can handle them all... and if you don't like one of them, then you won't like any of them.

There are differences in the drop patterns, which keeps things unpredictable. But they don't really make the ride experience vastly different in a major way. The only one that stands out to me is Hit Me With Your Best Shot. I feel like there are a couple drops that really pull you down noticeably fast, resulting in a lot of air time. So if I had to pick one that's "most intense" I'd say it's that one.

Side question for any regular riders... has anyone had the Jackson 5 recently? I haven't heard it in months, although it's probably just random luck.

All the songs have 7 drops each except "Free Ride" 8 drops and "I Want You Back" 9 drops.

IMO the most intense of the 6 drop profiles is "Free Ride" and the least intense is "Born to Be Wild/Monsters after Dark".

Something to keep in mind is that it’s not just the number of drops that “gets” people, it’s the length & speed of the drop. Because at times you aren’t even just dropping, you’re actually getting pulled down faster than freefall to get more feels. Also some of those drops are short and over with faster and some are the entire length of the building. I enjoy it and it never makes me sick but I have friends I go with that can handle some songs on there better than others. I’ve found the biggest impact on if it feels intense is if you have eaten- riding Guardians on an empty stomach almost always makes it feel way more intense.

Side question for any regular riders... has anyone had the Jackson 5 recently? I haven't heard it in months, although it's probably just random luck.
Seriously?! Oh man, we must have the opposite luck. We get the Jackson 5 song 90% of the time and we also ride it often.

We were just there about 3 weeks ago, my sister ended up riding it 8 or 9 times and got Jackson 5 all rides but one. My BF and I rode it one time (without her there) and also got Jackson 5.

Seriously?! Oh man, we must have the opposite luck. We get the Jackson 5 song 90% of the time and we also ride it often.
Good to hear! I've been "stuck" recently in a situation where I seem to be getting Hit Me w Your Best Shot and Free Ride an inordinate amount of the time!

I totally agree that riding on an empty stomach makes the drops soooooo much more intense.

Good to hear! I've been "stuck" recently in a situation where I seem to be getting Hit Me w Your Best Shot and Free Ride an inordinate amount of the time!
And those were the only two that we didn’t get out of 18 tries!

The regular songs all seem the same to me, but I do think Monsters after dark is the least intense...not sure if it's the darkness making it seem that way or what.

Its always fairly intense. At Halloween it changes to Monsters after dark and its incredibly intense. I love it but I could easily see why some wouldn't like it.

I have only been able to ride this once as GOTG and twice as Monsters After Dark and I much preferred Monsters for intensity and theme for that time of year. It just seemed more fun and intense but maybe it was the song choice. I wish I could remember what it was when we rode it without the overlay.

I will say, I look forward to being able to ride it more as just the regular ride this summer.

There are some small differences in intensity between the different ride profiles, but not enough to make a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!