Guarantee Status vs. IGT/OGT/VGT

Did you actually pick the first room? Or was it assigned the same day by DCL? That would be the difference.

:cutie:

Disney assigned us a stateroom at time of booking.

What the OP should say is that the PASSENGER cannot choose the stateroom number at the time of booking. DCL CAN possibly assign a stateroom at booking though.

This is what I thought it should say, but I am no expert by any means, so thanks for that clarfication.

The way the OP worded it made it sound like no staterooms are assigned at time of booking (whether by guest or Disney), and that is why I clarified with our experience that we have had our stateroom since time of booking.

Tiger :)

I have booked 2 VGTs
First was January 2012 and I got 10122 which is a 4a
Second is for May 2012 and I have just been assigned 10560 which is a 4a

Both of the rates I paid were FAR CHEAPER than booking 12 months out with OBC and OBD.

The only downside I have experience of booking VGT is that you have to wait and then most/all of the excursions and restaurant bookings etc are sold out.

I have booked 2 VGTs
First was January 2012 and I got 10122 which is a 4a
Second is for May 2012 and I have just been assigned 10560 which is a 4a

Both of the rates I paid were FAR CHEAPER than booking 12 months out with OBC and OBD.

The only downside I have experience of booking VGT is that you have to wait and then most/all of the excursions and restaurant bookings etc are sold out.

Thanks for the update, and congrats in the great room!

Do you book these online or with TA? How far in advance?

They can be booked by a TA or yourself at the DCL site. The only way to know if a specific cruise you are interested in has these rates available is to actually go through through a dummy booking. If one of the categories comes up as IGT, OGT or VGT then they are being offered on that cruise. There is no master list or anything. Or, you can call and ask Disney or a TA to check.

There is no real consistency in when they release these....sometimes it is a few weeks before sailing, sometimes it is a few months. It is for DCL to fill a ship with so they offer them at random times when they want to fill a ship.

This thread lists all the restrictions that are associated with these rates.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2629213

MJ

They can be booked by a TA or yourself at the DCL site. The only way to know if a specific cruise you are interested in has these rates available is to actually go through through a dummy booking. If one of the categories comes up as IGT, OGT or VGT then they are being offered on that cruise. There is no master list or anything. Or, you can call and ask Disney or a TA to check.

There is no real consistency in when they release these....sometimes it is a few weeks before sailing, sometimes it is a few months. It is for DCL to fill a ship with so they offer them at random times when they want to fill a ship.

This thread lists all the restrictions that are associated with these rates.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2629213

MJ

To piggy back on this - just because you see IGT/OGT/VGT available today, doesn't mean you'll see it tomorrow.

And just because it's one price today, doesn't mean it will be the same price tomorrow.

If you see one, you're happy with the price, and you're okay with the terms and conditions of these particular discounted categories, book it.

Thank you for your help! I found some online this evening...better prices than we paid for a cruise in July! WOW!

bumping up.....there still seems to be confusion about the difference between the regular GTY bookings and the last minute IGT, OGT, VGT bookings so I bumped up this helpful thread.

It is confusing because DCL has two types of guarantees.

One is a regular GTY which means that DCL has sold a certain percentage of cabins in a particular category. If you want to book that category you will have to book it at GTY meaning you can't be assigned a specific stateroom when you book. You will be assigned a stateroom in the category you booked or possibly a higher category...never a lower category. You will get your cabin assignment at anytime prior to your cruise...usually 45-30 days before sailing. A GTY price is the same as an assigned price...no discount just because the category is in GTY status.

IGT, OGT, VGT are discounted categories with very low rates that DCL offers on some cruises that may not be selling as well as they hoped or if they are just trying to fill a ship. They are offered usually after the 75 PIF date. The are greatly discounted, but come with many restrictions....no name changes, no location choices, no cancelling, no moving dates, no anything. The tradeoff is a great price as long as you don't need to make any changes and are willing to be assigned anywhere DCL puts you. It could be a higher category or it could be what you booked. You don't get your cabin assignment until about 10-14 days before your cruise.

These rates are meant to be last minute rates and that is why they are usually offered after the PIF date. They are for new bookings only. You can't switch a current rate for one of the discounted rates unless you completely cancel your regular rate cabin and take a hit with a penalty. But, sometimes people still save money when they cancel with penalty and book the cheaper *GT categories.

Hope this helps.

MJ

MJ

I know all these stand for guaranteed rates, but what are the differences between the abbreviations and how do I find them?:confused:

I know all these stand for guaranteed rates, but what are the differences between the abbreviations and how do I find them?:confused:

When a certain percentage of rooms within a category are booked, the category goes GTY. You still pay the same price for a, say, GTY 9B that you would if you book a specific 9B room.

The only savings comes in if, IF, DCL puts you in a room that is a higher category than you booked, you won't pay additional money for it. Most people who book GTY get the category they booked.

There is some confusion between GTY and *GT rates. The *GT rates are the last minute restricted fares that come out about 60-90 days out on those cruises that aren't selling well.

With the *GT rates you book a type of room (IGT - Interior; OGT - Oceanview; VGT - Verandah) at a discounted rate and DCL will assign you to a room of that type. Since each type of room has 2 (or more) categories within it, these rates can be a savings. However, I will point out that the *GT rates typically are higher that the rate was on the same room on opening day. There are several restrictions with the *GT bookings, including there are no refunds.

If you don't care what room you have, and can travel fairly soon after booking, these rates are probably looking into. Not all cruises will have them. You will only find the *GT rates by keeping an eye on a specific cruise that you may be interested in. They just appear (and disappear) randomly.

Thank you both very much, those answers were exactly what I needed!!

Yes...I will make it a sticky for awhile but you can also "subscribe" to a particular thread so you will always have it. Just click on THREAD TOOLS and choose SUBSCRIBE TO THREAD.

MJ

When you have a guarantee rate can you still book everything at your alloted time ( silver status) so 90 days out? Or do you need to wait for an actual room assignment first?

sunryzez said:
When you have a guarantee rate can you still book everything at your alloted time ( silver status) so 90 days out? Or do you need to wait for an actual room assignment first?

You can book anytime on any cruise as long as you are paid in full and your booking window is open. You don't need a room assignment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter