• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

group visist, what resort?

bumpysheep

Mouseketeer
I've been given the honor to plan a disney trip for 8-14 disabled service dog handlers. Since I'm the groups disney freak this is my assignment. We are spending 3 days and 3 nights. Here are the issues:

-about 4 of us don't have any price restraints, the rest need a budget friendly trip

-we don't want a really loud hotel where you can't take a rest break

-we won't stay at the contemporary wing since I had a horrible experince there with my service dog, the staff seemed service dog unfriendly compared to the other resorts

-ideally we want to stay at the same resort

-we are doing MK, AK and Epcot, the closer the better

-we want service dog FRIENDLY, not just tolerant, we will have 6-10 SDs in our party

We want to keep the budget under 800usd. So that is tight since tickets will be 191pp. The cheaper the better. I wanted to stay at WL since that is my disney home base, but the budget is screaming otherwise. Could we have a good time staying at POP?

thanks

bumpysheep said:
I've been given the honor to plan a disney trip for 8-14 disabled service dog handlers. Since I'm the groups disney freak this is my assignment. We are spending 3 days and 3 nights. Here are the issues:

-about 4 of us don't have any price restraints, the rest need a budget friendly trip

-we don't want a really loud hotel where you can't take a rest break

-we won't stay at the contemporary wing since I had a horrible experince there with my service dog, the staff seemed service dog unfriendly compared to the other resorts

-ideally we want to stay at the same resort

-we are doing MK, AK and Epcot, the closer the better

-we want service dog FRIENDLY, not just tolerant, we will have 6-10 SDs in our party

We want to keep the budget under 800usd. So that is tight since tickets will be 191pp. The cheaper the better. I wanted to stay at WL since that is my disney home base, but the budget is screaming otherwise. Could we have a good time staying at POP?

thanks

Cash and I stayed at POP last year and had a great time. I prefer no stranger contact with Cash so I can't judge whether the CMs at POP were more friendly...nobody can seem to keep their hands off Cash and I get cranky at too much attention but don't remember anything bizarre. The cartoonist in the POP lobby did a caricature of Cash and the food court people were friendly and nice, not stiff and watchful. There was plenty of backstage grassy area within accessible areas for Cash to go potty without making a public mess. I went swimming every evenining and parked Cash near the pool where he could help me get to and from the pool but not so close he was a distraction to little kids using the pool. The sit-down area of the food court was a little dangerous for his toes as it got very crowded at times. All in all I really liked POP and would stay there again in a heartbeat...Also, because the room doors are on an outside walkway the maintenance manager was able to authorize the removal of the hydraulic arm from the door so that it worked like a regular door and not a self-slamming door, which made it much easier to get in and out the room.

I have had two guests that have also stayed at Pop Century with service dogs. No complaints had a great time. Asked for room on first floor, by the grass, and near the bus stop and Guest services gave them a room that meet their needs.
Also Pop Century busses tend to be less crowded then All-Star.

I've stayed at Pop, All Star Music, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs, Saratoga Springs, and PO Riverside ( twice ) since I got Skye in June...all were just fine but AKLodge has no grassy areas if that's an issue. You shouldn't have any trouble at any Disney resort with a SD. We had a foster puppy/disabled handler day over at MK on Dec. 3rd which also coincided with the taping of the Christmas parade so it was VERY crowded. There were about 16 dogs- no problems. ---Kathy

I didn't mean friendly as in wanting to pet the dogs, I mean't friendly as in not rude. I've stayed at the Contemporary with service dogs 3 times now and staff was horrible!!! Totally undisney-like ruining my experince. And do not even get me started about Contemporary giving away my wheelchair accessible room! Ugh.

I really like WL, I like that there is grass and the dirt walking trail and doggie poop bags dispensers. Staff has been friendly towards us and never any serious issues.

It looks like we are going to split the group between WL and POP. We need to have a 2 bed villa (for my friend and I) so there is somewhere private and relaxed to hang out for the some of the group. Both of our dogs also eat a raw natural diet so a kitchen is required for the prep.

I'm glad people here were happy with POP. I only have had a 2 night experince there and was sick the entire time...

How close did you get to grass at POP?

THANKS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter