Group Camping for 55 people

Mr. Meador

Earning My Ears
I am a high school teacher in Miami and would like to take 48 students and some chaperones to the group camping section of Ft. Wilderness. I have been many times in my RV but never with a group in tents. Who could I contact to get info on this? I want to set up activities before I go in November. Where would I even begin??? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mark
Miami

Wow, Mark. That's a big undertaking.

I had a brochure from the Fort Check-In desk with group camping rates and rental information on cots/tents. I took a picture and posted it in this thread a couple years ago:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/camping-gear-rentals.3331588/#post-52311701

See post #3.

In case Photobucket decides to *poof* my account any time soon, the phone number in that brochure for group camping is 407-939-7807. I don't know if that's still a good number but it's a place to start and if it's not the right place, hopefully they can get you where you need to go. At the time of the brochure, tent rentals were $30 a night, cots $5 a night, and the camping fee was $10 per person per night. The tent pix I show had 3 cots in them but that's really too tight so figure two people per tent to have room to stand up and a bag for each person.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Bama Ed

PS - my first trip EVER to Fort Wilderness was decades ago in the group camping area, Creekside Meadow. I thought the place (WDW, Fort Wilderness, Creekside Meadow, [all of it]) was magical.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your help! That is great. Ft. Wilderness is one of my favorite places to go so I thought I would show some of these Miami kids, something most have never seen before. I sincerely appreciate your input. Thanks for the information and assistance.

Wow, Mark. That's a big undertaking.

I had a brochure from the Fort Check-In desk with group camping rates and rental information on cots/tents. I took a picture and posted it in this thread a couple years ago:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/camping-gear-rentals.3331588/#post-52311701

See post #3.

In case Photobucket decides to *poof* my account any time soon, the phone number in that brochure for group camping is 407-939-7807. I don't know if that's still a good number but it's a place to start and if it's not the right place, hopefully they can get you where you need to go. At the time of the brochure, tent rentals were $30 a night, cots $5 a night, and the camping fee was $10 per person per night. The tent pix I show had 3 cots in them but that's really too tight so figure two people per tent to have room to stand up and a bag for each person.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Bama Ed

PS - my first trip EVER to Fort Wilderness was decades ago in the group camping area, Creekside Meadow. I thought the place (WDW, Fort Wilderness, Creekside Meadow, [all of it]) was magical.

Me too! My first time to the Fort was with my son's (who is now an Eagle Scout) cub scout pack. Fell in love and we have been frequent visitors ever since.

First place I would start would be to make sure the group area is available for when you want to go. I know there is a group that uses it during Thanksgiving every year.

I never even knew there was a group camping section. I learn something new every day on the Dis :teacher:

I knew there was one, but I sure have never seen it. I know there are no hook-ups there, just their own bath house. I feel like I've seen every inch of the Fort, but never ran across that. Out of curiosity, I'll have to check the map and see where it is.

Yes, it's out past loop 2000. It's on the Purple internal bus line that runs between the Outpost and Settlement down through the cabin loops. I put a blue star on the map below to indicate its position. The little foot bridge into the back of 900 loop makes a great short cut to the Meadow Trading Post and Pool/Campfire/Movie area.

Screenshot 2018-05-03 at 9.58.32 PM (1).jpg

Bama Ed

1) Please take note the Group Tent Camping Area (Creekside Meadow) is classified as "PRIMITIVE".
. . . very rustic, and will remain this way
. . . available to groups of 20-or-more
. . . very reasonably priced
. . . no per-site conveniences such as cable, electric
. . . no "pads" for tents, just the grassy ground
. . . comfort station nearby
2) Other sites can be used for individual tenting, but at MUCH higher prices.
. . . cable, electric
. . . sand or concrete pads
. . . up to 10 people per site

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter