Groomsman threatening to drop out 4 days before wedding... advice???

I just wanted to chime in here - we had TWO groomsmen not show up to our wedding, and it wasn't even a destination wedding. We got married 40 minutes from our hometown. When my husband called them the morning of, they were like "ah, yeah, man, couldn't get off work." I had suspected the evening before they wouldn't be there, though, because they didn't show up to the rehearsal dinner, and after the dinner I called the tux shop to find they'd never picked up their tuxes, either. But they did not actually tell us until the day of.

I will say that one of them, we never talked to again. To be honest, nearly twelve years later, I had to think very hard to even remember his name. The other we didn't see or hear from for many, many years after, and now, the only time we do see him is in passing at conventions every once in a while. Clearly, we didn't really need either of them.

Wow, these stories are unbelievable. I am so glad that my hubby and I just went to the courthouse and got hitched. I can't imagine going through all of the hassle of planning a wedding and dealing with the other people. We saved the money and went on a nice honeymoon instead. Plus we just felt like it was something private between the 2 of us, that we were starting this life together. I know that most don't feel this way, but it sure is crazy hearing these stories.

My DD and I have had multiple conversations about her friends and those that she could really count on to be in her destination wedding one day. It’s a huge financial and time commitment. She could easily have 10 bridesmaids. Really the only friends that I expect to be there are her “ride or die” friends. That lowers the number significantly. Right now I can only see 3 actually following through.

It’s really important to have a serious conversation with people that you want in your wedding party. We live in the northeast, so we are talking plane fare, hotel, meals, park tickets, in addition to the gown/tux. (She will not expect gifts from them. Their presence is their gift.) Since this will be a big deal, any members of the wedding party will really need to be sure that they can get the time off and be able to afford being in a destination wedding in WDW.

If not, speak now or forever hold your peace.

I think weddings have gotten way too complicated and expensive. I normally just decline the invitation as soon as I receive it, even when I truly love one or both members of the relationship.
I think your groomsman is probably straining himself trying to get there, but may have a tyrant of a boss. He probably should have declined upon invite, but probably loves and values your husband too much to have done that.
The only people needed for a wedding are the bride, groom, officiant, and witnesses. Let the groomsman off the hook. Cancel his room and tux rental; it's not worth severing a relationship.

I think weddings have gotten way too complicated and expensive. I normally just decline the invitation as soon as I receive it, even when I truly love one or both members of the relationship.
I think your groomsman is probably straining himself trying to get there, but may have a tyrant of a boss. He probably should have declined upon invite, but probably loves and values your husband too much to have done that.
The only people needed for a wedding are the bride, groom, officiant, and witnesses. Let the groomsman off the hook. Cancel his room and tux rental; it's not worth severing a relationship.

I have to agree with you. Sometimes the couple has "big plans" and it is not easy for everyone to fit in but they don't want to seem as if they don't care. Having huge wedding and especially big wedding parties, is more about the "show off" aspect of a wedding then "wanting everyone to be there" because these people could just as easily be a guest. I always tell people that are going to get married that the most important thing is the marriage, not the wedding.

If he hasn't yet purchased a plane ticket 4 days before the wedding, he is most likely not coming. I would have a back up plan, if you are dead set on having an even number in the wedding party. Otherwise, it's not the end of the world. Photographers can find creative ways to pose people so the # looks great. Congratulations and enjoy-either way it will be a wonderful day!!!

If he hasn't yet purchased a plane ticket 4 days before the wedding, he is most likely not coming. I would have a back up plan, if you are dead set on having an even number in the wedding party. Otherwise, it's not the end of the world. Photographers can find creative ways to pose people so the # looks great. Congratulations and enjoy-either way it will be a wonderful day!!!
I think from reading the original post, the wedding was back in Oct 2019 so it will have passed now x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!