Grocery shopping from Contemporary

I don’t think you will need $150. I definitely think you can do oatmeal, fruit, sandwich ingredients, drinks, and snacks for well under $100.

My DH and I certainly thought so - he couldn't believe it when I told him what I was reading.

It's not a 'problem' even if it was $300, but of course you have to question that sort of unexpectadly high budget allocation for something so small, that you've never encountered before in 20 years of Disney visits.

If someone was selling a paperclip for $50, you could afford it but you'd certainly raise an eyebrow and question what the heck is that all about, right...

Last time we ate out every meal, but last year we bought some food stuff for the room and I literally remember thinking 'this is a bargain' while putting things in the basket.

Maybe food prices in Orlando have gone up 75% since then :rotfl:

That was our other plan, BUT, if people are saying on here $150 minimum for oatmeal, juices, snacks and sandwich stuff in Target, what on earth would it cost in the resort store :rotfl:

I'm still in disbelief that groceries would be THAT much tbh... usually things cost less for us in the US than here, but we will trust the word of this forum and budget extra for it.

I don’t think the groceries in the resort store are that badly priced. Worth the convenience anyway. Then we just pick up what we need each day as we go.

I don’t think the groceries in the resort store are that badly priced. Worth the convenience anyway. Then we just pick up what we need each day as we go.

It's interesting as that was our initial plan. At AKL i didn't feel it was expensive to buy groceries in house tbh.

It wasn't until someone on a similar forum said don't buy onsite as they are super inflated prices, go to Publix, Target etc. or get a delivery, that we planned to do this.

I'm going to take this a challenge now though... will we be able to get to the store and back and get some breakfast/lunch stuff for less than $100.

No huge deal if not, but I'm betting a mickey bar we can :earboy2:

My DH and I certainly thought so - he couldn't believe it when I told him what I was reading.

It's not a 'problem' even if it was $300, but of course you have to question that sort of unexpectadly high budget allocation for something so small, that you've never encountered before in 20 years of Disney visits.

If someone was selling a paperclip for $50, you could afford it but you'd certainly raise an eyebrow and question what the heck is that all about, right...

Last time we ate out every meal, but last year we bought some food stuff for the room and I literally remember thinking 'this is a bargain' while putting things in the basket.

Maybe food prices in Orlando have gone up 75% since then :rotfl:

I have no idea what it will cost. I don't typically buy for 2. I was just caught off guard by the time and effort you were willing to invest in your quest. To me, time is money at Disney. I would either take an Uber directly to the destination or I would pay the prices at the resort convenience store with the understanding that part of what I was paying was for the convenience.

Maybe you just haven't heard the stories about how inefficient bus service to and from Disney Springs can be at times.

We will up our grocery budget a bit then just in case.

Breakfast is oatmeal and fruit. Lunch is a sandwich. Just like at home. We will be eating out more often than once a day i just want to ensure we have a plentitude of food in the room for the days we don't, so enough for breakkie and lunch each day covers it :)

OK, if that's all the food you are going to eat, then yes, you can do that for $100-150 for two weeks. You can get the canister of oatmeal (42 ounce - not instant - for $4-5). Depending on how much oatmeal you eat, I suggest getting one of those and then maybe one of the 18 ounce canister.

It's this kind:
upload_2018-7-15_9-13-2.jpeg

The fruit is the one that I wouldn't be sure for lasting for the full two weeks. I suppose you could just get frozen fruit that's already chopped and in a bag. Or a couple of canned fruits. Fresh fruit is definitely not going to last two weeks unless you get apples and pears. Maybe a melon, but that would usually need to be refrigerated.

Sandwich ingredients and bread - you can get those too for a good price at the market.

Based on that, I think you would be better off getting an Uber or Lyft to the market and a separate one back. If you don't have the app, you can download it with a referral code and get a free ride. So if neither your nor hubby have it, one downloads with the referral code (you can find many online) and then the second one downloads it with the referral code from the other spouse. You could end up with 3 free rides that way, depending on how far the market is from where you are going (usually $10-20 off the cost of one ride).

If you have two sinks in your room, I suggest filling one up with ice for the items that don't fit into the fridge. I did that for a few days with some milk (bottled milk) that I didn't have enough room for due to other items needing refrigeration (with a BLT studio so the sink that was in the kitchen area). Fill it up 1/3 to 1/2 way with ice, put the items in, then fill the rest of the sink with ice. If you do that, use the trash can/recycling can (get a clean liner) because you will need that much ice!

I will note that I do stay two weeks in deluxe resorts. I bring what I can in my suitcase (which is typically cereal and snacks) and then just get milk and other items from the little "grocery" store at the resort. Time = money and it's not worth it to go off-site to get this type of stuff.

Last edited:
The other option is to look at the gas station near the MK entrance. They just completely updated it and they carry some grocery items. It may be cheaper once you factor in Uber costs. You can go to the Poly and take the walkway to Shades of Green and then it’s a short walk to the gas station.

We have just bought stuff in the resort shop when we didn’t haven enough for free delivery. I didn’t think the prices were bad, but your fruit options will be more limited. We ended up buying some in the parks to get stuff other than melon.

The gift shop in the Wilderness Lodge has a rather large grocery section in the back. You might want to take the boat over and check it out. Perhaps you could find everything you need there and save the trip off-site :)

I personally think that your $100 budget will cover the items you're talking about purchasing. I also think that the comment suggesting that you may want to consider moving from a deluxe to a moderate was inconsiderate and rude.

Re the cost: Why don't you look at Garden Grocer (or similar) and do a "trial order" (i.e. see how much an order would be) to get a ballpark figure. I believe the prices are a bit higher than at other stores but it should give you a general idea. We are from Europe as well and I have to say the US grocery prices always shock me!

You'll find a better selection of groceries at Publix over Target. The Publix on Reems Road is definitely closer to CR than the one at Regency Square which is right across the street from the big Outlet Mall at Regency Square.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter