Great Movie Ride

NuttyDisneyDad

Disney veteran
Being a frequent WDW guest over the years I have had to experience many attractions closing their doors for the final times. That being said..... The Great Movie Ride really hits me in the gut like no other closing ever has. And I am in no way bashing Disney for closing it, I know its time was up. But I am just simply sad over this. I have many fond memories of this attraction including bringing my daughter Madison for her first ever trip and her cowering into my arms during the Alien scene but then going nuts when we pull into Munchkin land( then cowering again with the appearance of the witch lol) Im simply going to miss it and just want to say goodbye to a great attraction.

I feel bad about this too. I'm a huge TCM fan, and watch a lot of old movies. I liked the Robert Osborne addition in the last refurb.

I watched a couple of videos on Utube where people had ridden the last ride and I'll admit I teared up. The CMs came out after the last ride and took a bow to very loud applause, it was very bittersweet.

I watched a couple of videos on Utube where people had ridden the last ride and I'll admit I teared up. The CMs came out after the last ride and took a bow to very loud applause, it was very bittersweet.
I posted this in another thread too but I thought the "curtain call" by the cast members was such an awesome way to send the GMR into Disney history. I agree with the OP that the GMR closing was unlike any other attraction closing at WDW to date. No other ride will have the music, the emotions, the cast involvement, or love like the GMR had. I read on another site that the poster was talking to a mechanic at the GMR cast party Saturday night. They said he had a tear in his eye talking about how the GMR was his home and how he spent more time there than his own home. I am thankful my family and I got to ride it one last time in March. Based on the rumors we all but figured it would be our last time riding it.

I posted this in another thread too but I thought the "curtain call" by the cast members was such an awesome way to send the GMR into Disney history. I agree with the OP that the GMR closing was unlike any other attraction closing at WDW to date. No other ride will have the music, the emotions, the cast involvement, or love like the GMR had. I read on another site that the poster was talking to a mechanic at the GMR cast party Saturday night. They said he had a tear in his eye talking about how the GMR was his home and how he spent more time there than his own home. I am thankful my family and I got to ride it one last time in March. Based on the rumors we all but figured it would be our last time riding it.

We rode it one last time last week. We will really miss it as it was one of our favorite rides. All good things must come to an end but it was sad.

I read on another site that the poster was talking to a mechanic at the GMR cast party Saturday night. They said he had a tear in his eye talking about how the GMR was his home and how he spent more time there than his own home.
And it wasn't just the mechanic tearing up on Sat night. The dessert party took place at end of the ride inside the Black Box, many, many sad former and current CMs. And when the lights came on as the signal to exit, it took longer than planned.

I look at every closure as a possibility that some new, fantastic attraction may someday replace it. One of my favorite attractions replaced Legend of the Lion King. One of the attractions I am most looking forward to during our next visit replaced Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends. And I cannot imagine what the Backlot Tour and Lights, Cameras, Action! will turn into.

I'm going to miss this ride - especially because I'm a huge old movie fan. I cannot help but wish they updated and refurbished it rather than close it altogether. That said, it was getting stale so WDW needed to do something ...

Became a favorite ride first time I rode when the year Disney MGM Studios opened. I prefer old movies and am a frequent TCM viewer. Sad to see it go, but hopeful the new Mickey ride will be worthwhile. I'm glad I was able to ride it one last time the week before it closed.

I'd never been on it until the week before it closed! I filmed it for prosperity so hopefully it brings back a few good memories for folks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter