great family vacation on the Magic

mollyw

Earning My Ears
12/1 7 day Magic trip, My husband myself and DS 3 and 5 met up with dear friends that had recently moved from our neighborhood. This made the trip extra special to everyone.

Transportation.
Every flight was on time and the bus transfers were a breeze. Disney booked our flights and we left Orlando at 11:55 and we didn't have any problems making this early of a flight. DH bag got searched once and I got wanded but it wasn't a big deal. However it seems pointless to search one person in the party and not everyone. I know...its random

Room
Cat. 10. Plenty of storage and I didn't miss a veranda. We loved the split bath. We had rough seas the first couple days and the bathroom doors squeaked which drove me crazy.

Service
Our server was Cedrick and he was great. It was his last sailing for a couple months and he cried along with my friends son. We didn't expect our head server to be so great. Sandra spoke to us everynight and took time to chat when we saw her outside the dining room. The only time we didn't see her was tip night (how unusual, huh) and we had to hunt her down.

Dress
I saw lots of formal gowns but not many tuxedos. At palos almost all the men had on suits.

Islands
St. Maarten. We left the kids behind and shopped in the morning while the rain cleared up. We returned for lunch and to pick up the boys and headed to Great Bay Beach. This is very conveniant if you aren't sure how long your kids will last. We only stayed a couple hours but enjoyed it a lot.
St. Thomas. We left the boys and took a cab to COKI Beach to snorkel. It is a small beach perfect for families and they have everything you need including the best Mango daquirri. You can see fish just wading into the water. It was very peaceful but we wished we would have taken the kids. (kindof)

Pools
The pools weren't any more crowded than our city pool and I didn't have any problem getting a single chair. Of course, if you aren't picky about what type of chair, sun/shade and don't need four together you have a better chance of getting what you want. Why would I need chairs for my kids when they are in the pool?

Shows
We loved Disney Dreams (saw it twice) and the two variety shows. Hercules was much better than I expected (from reading these message boards) Morty was so-so.
We loved going to the minishows at 7:30 or 7:45. We particularly liked the ventriliquist because my son was on stage with him. The rope was tied around his stomach and his belly button flew off. I didn't have my camcorder and started taking it everywhere after that.

Palos
Brunch was definitely one of our highlights. We had a sweet server, Katja, for dinner later in the week and that was great too.

Stop
Stop
Stop

If you only want the best part stop reading because there are a few other comments

Human Behavior:
An eight year old boy was very rude at a magician show. He heckled and booed and knew all the tricks. It was appalling behavior and his relatives never stopped him. The boy was feeling pretty confident after winning shipboard credit on Who Wants to be Mouseketeer. The magician edited his show and ended a little early but did the best he could with humor.

Assistant Server
Wasn't very friendly and never put our drinks at the right place even though my sons ordered the same thing for every meal.

Food
I had read a lot about the food but found lots of good things to eat. Take your servers recommendation because that is usually the freshest. We had a hard time finding a decent breakfast. Topsiders meat and eggs were cold and the pancakes in the dining room were tough. plus you had to wait for your syrup. We discovered fried eggs later in the week and those were hot since you can't make them in bulk. My kids didn't mind the donuts and pastries that were still cold from thawing out.

Oceaneer's Club
We spent most of our time at the pool but they went to the club a couple hours each day when we had something we had to do by ourselves. At castaway Cay we had a morning planned at the adult beach and were planning on picking them up before lunch. DS 3 did not want to be left and I hung around for 5 minutes (out of sight) to make sure he was OK. There was another little boy crying at that time and the counselor was trying to console him. I overheard these things, " If you aren't kind, your mommy won't come back" and "if you aren't nice, mommy will be mad"
My son was still crying so I picked him up and we had a beautiful day on the family beach. I'm not trying to make a social commentary (or maybe I am?) but there are lots of culture difference in raising kids and people should be aware of it no matter how well trained these professionals are.

We had a great trip and already miss the warmth of the sun and the crew.

thanks
people on this board must realize/know this is a commodeity. this is how people make there living selling disney trips and this board is a heavy disney supporter. For the money you pay for your trip danishes should not be cold I would have sent it back. I am glad you enjoyed your trip. And thanks so much for the review very informative.

Great trip report!! Your "negative" comments (not really negative just informative) were very fair, and most of us do apppreciate hearing the whole story. Amazingly ignorant comments from the Oceaneers staff!!! whew!! And our server on our previous 3 day cruise was less than friendly, so I can relate to that experience, though our assistant server seemed to try to make up for the main server's surliness. It is so true to try to follow their recommendations on food, we never went wrong if we ordered what the surly one recommended, to give him some credit.

Thanks for sharing with us.

I was also on this cruise--it was my prize cruise for winning "Who Wants to Be a Mousketeer" and I agree with most of the comments. I have to say that going without children made for a very different trip. The boat felt postively roomy, compared to Christmas week, and the seas were very calm, only reaching the above 4 ft. level a few times during the sea days.

As far as breakfast was concerned, we ate Lumiere's every day and never went to the buffet. I would really recommend this for better quality food, plus the service is very quick. As a twosome, we also got to meet new people and have breakfast with them.

There were a ton of Disney employees on this cruise. Apparently they were offered great deals and many took advantage. It was interesting to talk to people from reservations, DVC, business development, etc.

The service was generally excellent, the boat looked great and the grown up entertainment was good. Even the kids seem to be in the background (with the exception noted above), and they seemed to be mostly under 7. There was a virus going around that many of the kids got--one parent told me the doctor said 80 kids had this fever/flu virus. I was impressed to find out that they were able to do blood work to realize it was a virus.

Brought back these huge slippers in the shape of the boat for the kids that they really loved.

I have a few suggestions as well, especially since the comment card they talk so much about doesn't give a space for comments or suggestions, only problems:

I think they should give up on reservations for Tea at Palo's. We were on ship pretty quickly, and pretty early at Palo's, and all the teas were booked, probably by concierge. They only seat 28 I was told, and we were put on the waiting list. We showed up at 2:45 and Sid, the manager, took a chance and told us to come at 3:30 for the tea even though there were no cancellations. Well, six parties of two never showed, almost half. Since it's free, people don't bother to cancel or they just forget or fall asleep at the pool on the nice sunny days. Why not just have first come, first serve, or show up at 2:45 to get on the list?

How about fresh OJ--at least at Palo's for brunch?

I think we were at the next table as Mollyw. (Cedric was our server, Deepesh the assistant, rather shy but he remembered all of our drink favorites and had them ready every night.)

When the little boys cried at the end of the cruise, and handsome Cedric cried, too, it made us cry. A full (hideously long) trip report to follow!)

hi, I'm a newbie here and after reading your post, I just had to reply hehe... Our servers were Cedric and Deepesh too! They are the best, my family fell in love with them. Deepesh was a little shy, but very nice. But we love Cedric, he was the best-and not to mention very good looking. I'm so glad to hear you had a nice trip. Loved your trip report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter