"Gray Water" Question

MMLong3996

Mouseketeer
I had never heard this term used before and have since read about it on Natasha's Camping site. The last time we went camping, we didn't have a sewer hook-up nor did we have a "tank" hooked up to our kitchen sink. We do not have a bathroom in our pop-up.

Would I be better off upgrading my partial site to a full site and just hooking up to the sewer just for out sink? I don't even know where to go locally to purchase any of the items I read about and I'm sure what RV stores I do have near me, would be very costly!

HELP! What am I *supposed* to do?

You might want to think about how much you use your gray water. Do you cook in your pop up and have dishes to do? Then you might want a full hook up site. If you are only using the water to brush your teeth and wash hands, you might be able to get away with one of the portable tanks, that you can drag and dump. Think realistically about your water use, how many people you have. Where do you have to walk to dump the gray water? will it be far from your site? the little tanks have wheels so that is not much of a problem. But if you think you won't have the extra time to dump, or will be cooking lots of meals then you might want to think of a full hook up site. We have been on weekend trips where we are gone most of the day sight seeing so we use the wheely tank(honey wagons I think some call them) and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Blue/Gray portable water tanks. They vary in cost depending on size. Our's cost 50$. It has wheels. We usually get full hook ups just to be near our friends. We don't have a bathroom but need to empty the "nighttime" potty and dump the gray water. Full hook ups are convenient for us. We dont like putting our hose into the sewer pipe. (that's just us) Instead my husband cut a reg. hose to empty straight into the portable tank. (makes the kitchen sink drain faster than a long coiled hose).
Good Luck and do whats right for you.
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Go to Walmart to their automotive section. You'll find these blue "gas cans" that hold 6 gallons. You can run your sink drain to one of these and if you buy 3 of them...I think they go for about $7 each...you can just pick them up put them in your truck and take them to the dump station every few days. Very easy. Here's a link to a picture so you can see what I'm talking about: http://community.webshots.com/photo/83195063/74735765KQtTiC#

Thank you all very much! I know what the "blue tanks" look like, as I saw something very similar on another web site. We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids, ages 3 & 5.) We are staying 3 nights and will NOT be doing the parks while we're there. So, we'll be using the pop-up for everything, minus a couple of meals we may eat out. I'm thinking from what y'all have said that I may be better off upgrading to a full site. It just seems like less of a hassle.

NOW...what do I need to bring with me to "set-up" with to use the sewer hook-up? Thanks again for your help!

:flower: LATEX GLOVES!
if you do hook up right to it- you need a sewer donut.
if not just the gray tank/container, and hose to it - you should only deal w/ the sewer if you need to dump it?
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

trlrboy said:
you can just pick them up put them in your truck and take them to the dump station every few days.

Only one small problem with this at FW- FW has NO dump station.

Folks staying on a partial hook up site are directed to go by any unoccupied full hook up site to dump.

MMLong3996 said:
NOW...what do I need to bring with me to "set-up" with to use the sewer hook-up? Thanks again for your help!

Check out my Gray Water Containment Tank Web Page. The very top picture will show you the sewer dump at a FW full hook up site. The garden hose adaptor is availabel at RV stores that cater to pop ups or you can get it where I got mine, the Pop Up Times Web Store $14.99 including shipping.

...the very top picture will show you the sewer dump at a FW full hook up site. The garden hose adaptor is availabel at RV stores that cater to pop ups or you can get it where I got mine,
Thank you! And your site...WOW! I've learned so much from there! I can't begin to tell you how much time I've spent on it since discovering it.

MMLong3996 said:
Thank you! And your site...WOW! I've learned so much from there! I can't begin to tell you how much time I've spent on it since discovering it.

Thanks so much. I'd like to take credit for everything but I just grab stuff I see all over the net. :goodvibes

I do use my sink and shower inside pop-up. At Disney I have found it worth the couple extra bucks for a full hook-up site that has sewer. Sewer Kit at my camper store cost about $10. Use it once in a while when sewer is available at campsites. Have just found it to be convenient to flow into sewer when available.

Balido said:
I do use my sink and shower inside pop-up. At Disney I have found it worth the couple extra bucks for a full hook-up site that has sewer. Sewer Kit at my camper store cost about $10. Use it once in a while when sewer is available at campsites. Have just found it to be convenient to flow into sewer when available.

Well. I called ysterday to see if there happened to be a full site available and of cours there isn't. I'm going to keep calling this week, but I'll be prepared with a few "blue tanks" in case I have to stick with my partial hook-up.

Woohoo! I just called a few minutes ago and they had a Preferred site available. PLEASE tell me I can stay on a preferred site with my dinky little pop-up? LOL

Congrats on you getting a preferred. Now to take full advantage of that site you have to make sure you bring a cable for your cable tv hook-up, that is if you are bringing a tv.

Have fun.

John

Thank you, thank you. A preferred is more than I really wanted, but I think with my "gray water problem" it'll be much easier for us being kind of new to this. IF we're bringing a TV! HA! Let me just say this...5 year old daughter...3 year old son...seasonal passes are currently blacked out. Do you think we'll be coming without a TV? : )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter