Grand Floridian Outer Building hotel or motel style?

JWoww

Earning My Ears
My husband is being super picky about where to stay. He doesn’t want a “motel” ‍♀️ style (rooms with doors leading to outdoors). So do the outer buildings at GF have interior/enclosed corridors? Is there a lobby area where you take interior hallways and elevators to the rooms? Any other recommendations for a resort like this? Thanks!

My husband is being super picky about where to stay. He doesn’t want a “motel” ‍♀️ style (rooms with doors leading to outdoors). So do the outer buildings at GF have interior/enclosed corridors? Is there a lobby area where you take interior hallways and elevators to the rooms? Any other recommendations for a resort like this? Thanks!
Hotel. A nice hotel, too. Very pretty (unmanned) lobby areas. Indoor corridors and elevators, yes. You have to scan your band to get into those outer buildings.

Yes, GF outer buildings are totally enclosed with a small lobby/sitting area with elevators and hallways. Disney resorts is the only place we prefer our rooms leading directly outside, we much rather see and enjoy the weather (yes even rain, we don't melt) then walking down echoing halls and some of the resort halls are looooong. Plus; your typical "motel" does not have a wonderfully themed resort just outside their doors. You also have a bunch of deluxes that are totally inside as well, in case he's really picky.

The outer buildings have a large common area with couches/chairs/tables and a large fresh flower arrangement(my favorite feature) with interior hallways connecting to the main area that leads to the rooms.

Attachments

• 96AF7B5C-2645-49E6-9446-4E3467627D85.jpeg
    96AF7B5C-2645-49E6-9446-4E3467627D85.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 32
Yes, GF outer buildings are totally enclosed with a small lobby/sitting area with elevators and hallways. Disney resorts is the only place we prefer our rooms leading directly outside, we much rather see and enjoy the weather (yes even rain, we don't melt) then walking down echoing halls and some of the resort halls are looooong. Plus; your typical "motel" does not have a wonderfully themed resort just outside their doors. You also have a bunch of deluxes that are totally inside as well, in case he's really picky.

I agree! I’ve stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort and loved it.

The GF buildings are like mini hotels with interior hallways, BUT a huge issue with staying there is if the weather is rainy, you can't get to the main building without getting soaked. There is no way to walk under cover the whole way. That was a huge issue on our one stay there in summer 2016. We had a couple instances where we were hungry but trapped in the room due to severe thunderstorms for, at one point, over 2 hours. I tried calling for room service and the expected wait was 90 minutes. It was a seriously bad storm, and I had a child who was terrified of thunder and lightning at the time and absolutely would not go outside. We were in the Boca Chica building, so it was quite a walk to the main building.

We prefer "all under one roof" deluxe resorts now.

I just stayed at the Contemporary last week and last Sunday the weather was absolutely treacherous for a good 3 hours midday. There were numerous "dangerous thunderstorm warnings" one after another. At one point, I was sitting at the Outer Rim bar and could not even SEE Bay Lake. It was insane. I was glad I had everything I needed right there under the same roof.

Thanks for the feedback. We went ahead and made our reservation at GF for next month. So excited!

GF has rooms in the main building but AFAIK, they are all club level. We keep looking at club level and just don't see the value in it for us. We actually like the outer buildings at GF (our favourite is Conch Key because it's close to the boat launch to MK). They don't feel in the least like a motel IMO. They are elegant and have a lovely seating area in the main entrance. Now, the Poly gives me a 70's motel vibe in the outer buildings. To the point that DH and I have decided not to stay there. We were planning to do all of the remaining deluxe resorts this year that we haven't stayed at yet but have taken the Poly off our list. If it had been about half of the price of what it is, maybe we'd do it but I'm not paying that much money for a motel feel. But we do love the GF.

We have stayed at the GF in an outer building and I don’t think that they remotely resemble any motel - the hallways are internal as with any higher end resort and the buildings have a nice little lobby areas too. As others have said the only challenge is getting from the outbuilding to the main building when it’s raining, but we did this a few times and didn’t find it an issue as it was so warm and the walk wasn’t long at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter