Grand Cayman Stingray City Reef Sail and Snorkel

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
We booked this through DCL for our April cruise but wondering if we should book on our own? Will this excursion be a lot more crowded through DCL? Will there be more wasted time? I think I may have asked a similar question a while back and can’t find the thread...
Any suggestions who to go through if we do it on our own?

Just taking a brain break and skimming through old threads and found this. We did this excursion and *loved* it. It's full on snorkeling, the water is 15+ feet deep and the reef is close to the buoy the boat tied to. The stingrays aren't as plentiful as the sandbar, but they're fully mature and gorgeous. This excursion hooked my entire family (myself included) on snorkeling.

Can't recommend it highly enough

Just taking a brain break and skimming through old threads and found this. We did this excursion and *loved* it. It's full on snorkeling, the water is 15+ feet deep and the reef is close to the buoy the boat tied to. The stingrays aren't as plentiful as the sandbar, but they're fully mature and gorgeous. This excursion hooked my entire family (myself included) on snorkeling.

Thanks for your input! Still considering this and your post helps!

I haven’t done this with DCL, but I have been to Grand Cayman several times and I would definitely book this excursion on our own. When we did this a couple of years ago (we used Captain Marvin’s and they were great), they really tried to get us out to the sandbar before the cruise ship tours arrived. Then when the masses got there, we left and went snorkeling at the reef. They were one step ahead the whole time, which made it much more enjoyable.

Grand Cayman is very safe and very easy to navigate. Definitely book it on your own!

Are you allowed to stay on the boat if you don't want to be in the water with all the sea flap-flaps. They creep me out.

Right now I have booked two- one through DCL and one through Captain Marvin’s. Looks like DCL goes out to the deeper water with the bigger rays and Cap Marvin’s does the more shallow sandbar. I would like to book on our own for the smaller group but my family wants to go where DCL takes you. Not sure which way to go...

Right now I have booked two- one through DCL and one through Captain Marvin’s. Looks like DCL goes out to the deeper water with the bigger rays and Cap Marvin’s does the more shallow sandbar. I would like to book on our own for the smaller group but my family wants to go where DCL takes you. Not sure which way to go...

We were the only boat on the reef the entire time. As we unmoored, and sailed back (yeah, not motored) we passed another boat on the way out. We also stayed longer than the advertised 45 minutes. Still had tons of time to get back to the ship on time. The kids still talk about that one. We also did the wreck and reef snorkeling (G15) on cruise #7 which was also fantastic.

Just a logistics question--is there a restroom on the boat? Thanks

All the boats go to the same same sandbar. There are areas where it is a little deeper than others, but where the boats anchor just depend on where there is room when they get there. Stingray City is just one place, so you can book a private tour and be taken to the exact same place as the DCL excursions, but with fewer people.

The Stingray City Reef Sail & Snorkel (G09) doesn't actually go to the sandbar, it goes out to the reef line and much deeper water. The sandbar is wading level water with scads of stingrays, the G09 goes out much farther and while the stingrays aren't as plentiful, they're mature along with the amazing snorkeling with the reef line right there. Lots of 'wow'. :teeth:

Are you allowed to stay on the boat if you don't want to be in the water with all the sea flap-flaps. They creep me out.

Of course no one is going to force you to get in the water. There were probably 20 people who stayed on the boat when we visited Stingray City in January.

FYI it’s also quite common for there to be stingrays at Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay.

Of course no one is going to force you to get in the water. There were probably 20 people who stayed on the boat when we visited Stingray City in January.

FYI it’s also quite common for there to be stingrays at Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay.

I know that - I'm not IN the water that much anyway.

BUT it's not like you're planning to get in the water with them. There is a difference between just seeing them in the water and purposely getting in amongst them.

Is the sandbar one good for someone with mobility issues? My Great Aunt will be 90, she isn’t wheelchair bound but does use one and can only walk short distances and stand for short periods of time with assistance

Check out stingray sailing (stingraysailing.com) Great reviews by tons of people, and I can personally vouch for what great service they provide. We seemed to have much more interaction in the water than the large tourgroups got.

If we book on our own through Captain Marvin’s, what time should we book the excursion? Do passengers that booked an excursion through DCL get tender priority times? We have never been to a port that tenders

Yes, DCL excursions get priority on the tenders. That said, not all excursions start first thing. They may be staggered. Sorry, I have no idea what time you should book.

Captain Marvin’s replied to my inquiry and said the only excursion avail is the 2 stop due to the time the ship gets in. Has anyone done this one?

Do the stingrays still have those long stinger things or are they removed? I did an excursion in Mexico where they have you swim with them but those barn things (sorry not sure what they’re called) have been removed so it’s safer. I’m guessing these stingrays are pretty used to people but you never know and don’t want to end up like Steve Irwin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter