Grand Canyon RR or Verde Canyon RR?

LeslieG

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever done both these rail trips and can offer a comparison?
My kids love trains, and I'm trying to decide on one of these. We will be traveling in December if that makes a difference.

My plan is to fly into Phoenix, head north to Sedona, over to Grand Canyon, across to Las Vegas, then on to Pasadena for the Rose Parade, flying home from Ontario.

Any other suggestions?

Okay, I haven't done either of these, but I have been told a lot by friends.

My friends (2 different families) who have only done the Grand Canyon Railway told me how much they enjoyed it.

My friend who has done both said that even her kids were bored on the Grand Canyon Railway. I guess they do some mock train robbery and they found it hokey and loud. She said that they prefer the Rio Verde Railway because there is some glass covered area (or outdoor area) that you can stand in and it takes you right into the Oak Creek Canyon. Nothing hokey, they just really enjoyed the scenery more.

If you do the Grand Canyon Railway, you get to a station at the end and walk to the Canyon (not far). I have been to the Grand Canyon and it is a must do. The town of Williams (where the Grand Canyon Railway is) is a small town, but it is pleasant.

Hi
We did the Verde Canyon RR and it was so much fun. I heard also that the Grand Canyon RR is boring. We got first class tickets which were a little bit more money, but really worth it. The first class car has very comfortable sofas in it with a table to put your food on. They have snacks, crackers, fruit and I forget what else. They sell ice cream sandwiches for $1.00. But the best part for my DH and our friends is that there is a bar on the train. We got one free drink, and they drank beer. I'm not a big drinker, so I had diet soda.
You can walk outside to the open car with benches. There is a guide to tell you what scenery you're looking at. It's so beautiful and we saw bald eagles and one on her nest. It's a 4 hour round trip, but went very fast. We loved this trip. :thumbsup2 Also, when you get to Sedona, there is the pink jeep tour. It was awesome. The scenery is breathtaking. So if you have time, there is really fun and I would definitely do this again if I ever get back to Sedona. Have a great tripl!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter