Grand Canyon parking w/ moving truck question

Boo Bear

DIS Veteran
I've looked all over the internet for a number to call about allowing a 16" Penske moving truck w/ sedan in tow into the park. We're staying at the Thunderbird lodge and since there is a cancellation policy, I need to know if I can get in. There is absolutely no way I'm leaving all of my belongings in a moving truck in a random parking lot just so I can stay at the Grand Canyon! Does anyone have information about this?

Wow, interesting question. I have stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge and there ain't a whole lot of parking available near the lodge, however, let alone a big enough parking space for a truck with trailer. However, I have heard that they are expanding parking.

There is RV parking and camping available with the park grounds so I know large vehicles can maneuver the roads.

My recommendation is to call Xanterra directly and ask them.

Xanterra Parks & Resorts
Central Reservations
6312 South Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 600N
Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111
Phone: Toll-free within the U.S. 888.29.PARKS (888.297.2757) or
Outside the U.S. 303.29.PARKS (303.297.2757)
Fax: 303.297.3175
E-mail: reserve-gcsr@xanterra.com

Good luck!

Wow, interesting question. I have stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge and there ain't a whole lot of parking available near the lodge, however, let alone a big enough parking space for a truck with trailer. However, I have heard that they are expanding parking.

There is RV parking and camping available with the park grounds so I know large vehicles can maneuver the roads.

My recommendation is to call Xanterra directly and ask them.

Xanterra Parks & Resorts
Central Reservations
6312 South Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 600N
Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111
Phone: Toll-free within the U.S. 888.29.PARKS (888.297.2757) or
Outside the U.S. 303.29.PARKS (303.297.2757)
Fax: 303.297.3175
E-mail: reserve-gcsr@xanterra.com

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm going to end up having to call AAA and see where I can leave the truck safely, as I booked the truck through from recommendation and using their discount.

There are RV parks and trailer camp grounds where you can park your truck.

also, try a storage place they might accommodate your truck.

Good luck on your search!

I have a hard enough time finding parking for my minivan during "off" season. I can't imagine taking that rig in. I know that the RVs make it, but I would imagine that most of them park at the campground. The other thought would be that if the parking lot in front of the store by Yavapai? Lodge wasn't full, they might let you park in the back of the lot. The last time that I went was a couple of months ago, so I can't really tell you if that lot was normally full. There would be no way to park it behind Thunderbird, but across the road and over the railroad tracks from Thunderbird/Bright Angel is a gravel lot that might work if you unhitch the car and park the truck by itself. I would be extremely careful about taking your belongings into the park like that because I understand from my insurance agent that there is a lot of theft at the Grand Canyon. I was moving last year and had my vehicle broken into in ABQ. When I told my agent that I was heading to the GC, she said that they had had quite a few claims from there. Just an FYI! Good Luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter