Grand Canyon: Hiking vs. Mule rides

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
We're planning to visit the Grand Canyon next summer (July 2009). We definitely want to descend into the canyon and see more than just the view from the edge -- it doesn't have to be a long trek; for example, we have no illusions about going all the way to the river. We are all in average physical condition and hike frequently, but our girls (who'll be 12 and 15) are not enthusiastic hikers, and I do want them to have fun. We plan to stay at the Grand Canyon Lodge on the North Rim.

Here's what I see as the pros and cons:

Mule trip: The company that runs these trips has LOTS of rules (wide-brim hats tied onto heads, rules on carrying cameras, etc.) I might be a little afraid of the mules -- I know that they say that the mules are completely safe, but what if . . . just what if . . . the mule picks that day to say, "I'm tired of carrying these tourists up and down; I think I'll end it all." If we're riding, we'll likely descend farther into the canyon, and we'll see more. I have read that riding is tiring, but it has to be less tiring than walking!

Hiking: Obviously, hiking is free, which is always a plus. We all own good hiking boots and packs in which to carry water, and we wouldn't go farther than our physical condition allows. I've read that the mules "poo" on the trail -- that doesn't sound pleasant for the hikers. Of course, the big detraction to hiking is the trip back out!

So what would you choose? A mule trek or a hike into the canyon? And why?

I see this thread is a couple of months old, so don't know if you're still looking for answers.

We did the full day mule ride from the North Rim a number of years ago. It was interesting, to say the least. I guess I'm glad we did it - just to say we did, but I wouldn't do it again. The stuff that happened on our trip did make for a pretty entertaining story, I will say that much! Mules have very interesting personalities!

If you're still looking for info, let me know and I will try to post more.

I'd like to hear your story - even though I have no intention of mule riding!

Wow! This is amazing! Somebody is actually ASKING to hear one of my stories - I can't wait to tell my husband! (he's heard them all a million times ...)

We were there in October, only a week or so before the North Rim closed for the season. So instead of the 30 or so people that sign up during peak season, we only had about 10-12 in our group. We all showed up at the corral and first they asked if anyone had riding experience. Both DH and I have ridden in the past - we're not experts by any means, but we do know the basics. So us and maybe 1 other person raised our hands. Then they appeared to appraise each of us carefully and assign us to our mules. I even remember our mules names - mine was Snoopy and Steve's was Nester. Then they proceed to put us in a very specific order in the pack string. I wondered about it all at the time.

Because our group was small, we just had Bernice - our pack leader - in the front and nobody bringing up the rear. I was 1st in line behind her, with Steve behind me and everybody else in their specifically assigned spots behind. Some people were given switches and instructed on when and how to use them. If their mule fell behind, they should whip them and they demonstrated - hit them HARD! They won't even feel them if you barely touch them and it doesn't hurt them to whack them hard. Ok.

We started down the trail, stopping occasionally for Bernice to point something out or do a little nature talk. The scenery was stupendous and many parts of the trail were sheer drops on one side, hundreds of feet down. Bernice informed us that mules like to hug the very edge of the trail and not to be nervous about it - "these mules are bred from decades of Grand Canyon mules for their sure-footedness!" It's hard not to be a little uneasy when you're sitting on an animal you just met with nothing between you and the bottom of the Grand Canyon except the assurance of their expert coordination.

Also, when we stopped, the mules all liked to face the edge of the trail with their front feet at the very edge and their heads hanging out. It was unnerving but hey - all that sure-footedness, right? What's to worry about?

Here's an interesting tidbit about mules. They can poop while they walk but they can't (or won't?) pee while they walk. So, every once in awhile, Bernice's mule would stop in the middle of the trail and pee. They are large animals - they pee ALOT. Then he would take a few steps forward and stop again, and Snoopy would move into the same spot and pee. Then the next mule and the next, until every single mule in the string had peed in the EXACT SAME SPOT. How interesting. I asked about it and Bernice said that mules are so intelligent that they know by insisting it be done that way (remember the phase "stubborn as a mule"?) that they will get to rest longer than if they all just pee in their own spot. She said that in the summer with 30 or so mules in the string, it can be pretty bad for the last few people in line. I'd guess so.

So as we're going along, Steve's mule Nester kept trying to crowd up on me and pass me! He was constantly having to rein him in to keep him from doing that. Bernice would frequently turn around to keep an eye on her string and occasionally she'd yell out to somebody to make their mule keep up (use the switch.) We get to this one little section of trail with several short switchbacks. We're about halfway through this part, Bernice had just rounded a corner and suddenly, Snoopy just bolts straight down the side instead of staying on the trail and going around the switchback! Bernice looks back and says - "Oh, I forgot to remind you that Snoopy is afraid of that tractor!" Sure enough, parked at the wide part of the switchback was a little garden tractor used for trail maintenance. I guess Snoopy didn't like the looks of it and refused to get too close.

Finally, we're nearing the bottom of the side canyon that was our destination. Before I realized what was happening, I suddenly am being thrown forward over Snoopy's neck! Quick as a flash, I'm back upright! I must've let out a scream or something and Bernice looked back and asked "What happened?" I said "I'm not sure!" and Steve says "Your mule fell down!" Yes, my sure-footed mule, bred from a long line of Grand Canyon mules, tripped and actually went down on his front knees! Apparently he jumped back up really fast and I swear, he actually seemed to look around as if to say "Did anybody see that?" When we stopped and dismounted, I looked and sure enough, he had actually skinned his knees.

Our time at the bottom of the canyon was pleasant and uneventful. Then we started back up. Since Bernice had told us all of her stories on the way down, the trip up was just for conversation. I took advantage of my front spot to mention that it appeared like we were specifically matched up to our mules that morning - was that true? "Oh yes, absolutely! You and your husband must've said you've ridden before. They would NEVER put someone with no riding experience on Snoopy or Nester!" She said they try to put "experienced" people on inexperienced mules. They also try to put experienced people on mules that have a tendency to charge ahead - like Nester. They put newbies on mules that tend to lag behind and have to be "made to go".

She stressed how smart mules are, how they do seem to have emotions (like being embarrassed at falling down) and how good their memories are. She told a story about how she was leading a pack string and came to a blind corner and a trail runner (somebody that RUNS from one side of the canyon to the other) just plowed into her mule. Knocked the trail runner down and really hit the mule hard. Everybody was ok - but she said forever after that, that mule would stop at that corner and peek around to make sure the coast was clear.

So, it was an interesting experience. There's not really much to riding the mule - as long as you can sit on it, you really don't have to do much in the way of controlling it. (unless it's Nester!) I'm glad we did it - but I do think it's one of those "been there, done that" things. I'd definitely go back to the Grand Canyon (we have, in fact) but I think another mule trip would be anticlimatic after that!

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! We've been debating about whether to hike, mule, bus tour, etc. for our upcoming trip. I wondered if there was a railing along the edge or is my life literally "in the hands" of a mule. What if, what if... is what I think of all the time.
I have terrrible fear of heights and even closed my eyes for the ride up the glass elevator in the big tower (forget the name of it) at Niagara Falls. My boys still laugh at me over it.
Your story just cinched it for me that I KNOW FOR CERTAIN I won't need to do a mule ride. OMG!
Thank you! :hug:

Yes, I think to say that your life is in the hands of the mule is accurate! However, I've never heard of anybody dying at the GC because of a klutzy mule, while there are usually a handful of deaths because of people falling, jumping, or being pushed over the edge. Usually the accidents are because people are just being stupid. The rest - well, if you're posing for a picture and the photographer keeps saying "back up just a little bit more ..." :eek:

I'd recommend just hiking down a ways. You really don't have to go down too terribly far to get the feel for what it's like and the trails are wide enough that you can stay away from the really scary edges. Just remember, it will take twice as long to hike back up as it will to hike down!

It really is an incredible place to see!

Thanks, I enjoyed that and you have just double double confirmed for me that mule riding will be something I will try in the future - just NOT at the Grand Canyon. What was the clincher? Hmm let me see -

• mules all liked to face the edge of the trail with their front feet at the very edge and their heads hanging out (I know it's supposed to be safer....but...)
  • tripped and actually went down on his front knees!
  • suddenly am being thrown forward over Snoopy's neck
Given my track record all of the above would occur at once. At least with a bungee jump there's a rope attached to your ankles. :rotfl:

I'm pretty sure I would not care for a mule ride--I don't *do* horses on a good day, let alone in the Grand Canyon. One thing you really need to think about is the time of year you're going. July is a very hot month at the Grand Canyon and everything below the rim is hotter than what's on top of the rim. The heat can literally kill you. If you decide to go, be sure you have more water than you think you'll ever need. Not only is the climb back up strenuous, but you'll be doing it in a dehydrated state.

If you really want to scare the starch out of yourself, read "Death in the Grand Canyon". :scared1: A word to the wise: no alcohol. Seriously.

I'm pretty sure I would not care for a mule ride--I don't *do* horses on a good day, let alone in the Grand Canyon. One thing you really need to think about is the time of year you're going. July is a very hot month at the Grand Canyon and everything below the rim is hotter than what's on top of the rim. The heat can literally kill you. If you decide to go, be sure you have more water than you think you'll ever need. Not only is the climb back up strenuous, but you'll be doing it in a dehydrated state.

If you really want to scare the starch out of yourself, read "Death in the Grand Canyon". :scared1: A word to the wise: no alcohol. Seriously.

Aww, don't worry. We're not drinkers at all and probably won't be hiking much at all, maybe 15-20 mins. down and back. Dh has a bad back and we're wondering how he'll do with a 5 hr. flight to begin with. We do drink lots of water normally and we're looking into getting backpack-type water coolers. (Camelbacks or something, I think they're called.)
Will check out the book though. I'm always very curious. ;)
thanks!:goodvibes

found this on Amazon for about $15. Heading out to my library to see if I can get it for free. I like free. ;)

Thanks for the story, gave me a good chuckle and I will forever remember that. Someday down the road when we plan a trip it will be in the back of my mind.

Educate yourself very well on hiking in the Grand Canyon. There are many hiking guides and the National Park Service website has a lot of information. If you start from the South rim you are hiking from an elevation of about 6600 feet above sea level which makes your climb out a lot tougher. In July the temperature will probably be around 90-100 degrees. I have hiked in to the river twice to take raft trips and hiking down on the 8 miles or so on Bright Angel Trail from the south rim, or the South Kaibab trail can seem easy but believe me the climb out is not. We always planned our hike in to start around sun up when temperatures are cooler. To avoid dehydration you need to have at least a gallon or two of water per person/per day. Hope your trip is a good one.

I see this thread is a couple of months old, so don't know if you're still looking for answers.
Yep, we're planning our trip for NEXT SUMMER, so I am still looking for answers!
So as we're going along, Steve's mule Nester kept trying to crowd up on me and pass me! He was constantly having to rein him in to keep him from doing that . . . You and your husband must've said you've ridden before. They would NEVER put someone with no riding experience on Snoopy or Nester!" She said they try to put "experienced" people on inexperienced mules. They also try to put experienced people on mules that have a tendency to charge ahead - like Nester. They put newbies on mules that tend to lag behind and have to be "made to go".
THANKS for the story! That's the kind of detail I was looking for. I think we'll ride mules, but we will empahsize that we've NEVER ridden before, we're not even sure which is the head! I want to be on a super-experienced mule who's tried and true!

You said they put the mules in a certain order. We're a family of four. Would we four be together? My girls'll be 12 and 15 next summer, but I would still like to be in "hollerin' distance" of them.

Another question, please: What is required in the way of gear? Long pants, I assume. Hiking boots? Tennis shoes? Okay to carry water? A camera?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that they won't split up a family - at least, they didn't on my trip. It looked like they took into account your riding experience, your mule's experience, and family groups when lining everybody up - especially if none of you claim to be experts, you're probably safe!

We wore long pants and I think tennis shoes? I remember we had to wear closed-toe shoes - no sandals. We had to check in the day before, and they gave us brand new canteens at that time. (we were advised to rinse them well and let them sit full of water overnight to get that "new canteen" taste out of them.) We could not use our own water bottles, even if we had a carrying strap - but we did our trip back in the 90's so some things may have changed. We were allowed one camera OR a pair of binoculars on a strap. So basically, you could only have your water and one other item. They don't want you to be distracted trying to fiddle with too many things (maybe in case your mule falls down? ;) ) They don't want you dropping things. There may also have been a rule about hats - I'm thinking that hats had to be tied on but I can't remember for sure. And you are not allowed to dismount from your mule until you reach the bottom.

They also provided box lunches for our time at the bottom. I can't remember what all was included - sandwiches, chips, maybe fruit and cookies? Anyway, it was fine. And you can refill your canteen from a water spigot there. Then we had some free time to explore around some before we headed back up the trail. We were there in October and they were having a heat wave - temps at the top were in the 70's and were in the 90's in the canyon (which, being from Texas, felt fine to us). Apparently that was a good 20 degrees warmer than normal for that time of year. Summer temps in the canyon can be brutal, so just prepared if you're from a milder climate.

Let me know if you can think of any other questions!

At the end of last September, I walked about 20 minutes down the Bright Angel Trail on the South Rim. Here are my observations:

1) While it was a cool day on the rim (about 60 degrees with a breeze), it almost immediately starts to get hot as you walk down. The breeze is blocked by the canyon walls. As the elevation gets lower, it gets hotter. I am sure that even 20 minutes hike, it was at least 10-20 degrees hotter than the rim. I can only imagine how hot it will be in July.

2) You have to move out of the mules way if they happen to come down while you are hiking. Personally, I would rather be on the mule than cramped against the wall of the canyon by the mule.

3) Going down is much easier than going up.

I've ridden mules in Santorini (Greece). The mules are stubborn and my mule rode me into a wall (scraped my knee bad enough to bleed). But, I don't think they have a death wish.

I own the book death in the canyon. I don't think there are any stories of death by mule. Plenty of death by falling (mostly people doing stupid things that caused the fall and if you are a careful person I wouldn't let this risk deter you) and a lot of death by heat exhaustion stories.

Thanks to all for the details! I think we're going to ride. We plan to hike in other parks, and this'll lend some variety to our trip.

We're from the Deep South, so summer heat isn't a new thing to us -- ours is just different heat; we have heat PLUS humidity. What we don't know about is cold weather; my winter coat would make Northerners laugh.

I have the book about Death in the Grand Canyon. I'd like to think that we have much better sense than the people described in that book! The vast majority of them died because they were doing stupid things. We have no intention of going over the railings, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter