Grand Californian worth it or stay off property

waggles02673

Mouseketeer
Going to be in the LA area 6/21/12-6/24/12 and was wondering if we should try and use points to stay at GC for the 1-2 nights we will be at Disneyland or stay off property?

Thanks

Jon

Going to be in the LA area 6/21/12-6/24/12 and was wondering if we should try and use points to stay at GC for the 1-2 nights we will be at Disneyland or stay off property?

Thanks

Jon

I don't think that we can answer this for you, it's all up to you.

:earsboy: Bill

VGC is awesome! I've done it both ways and prefer to stay on property (I've stayed at all 3). If you stay off property and have to use a shuttle, it's a pain.

VGC is so worth the points!
It is a beautiful hotel, extra comfy pool loungers, wonderful cabanas that are affordable, a character restaurant, and quick access to the parks. What more could you ask for?:confused3

The resort itself is gorgeous and we always enjoy every minute of our time there. However, if you like staying off property at Disney World more than on property, then the same will probably hold true for Disneyland.

David

Thanks for the responses. When at Disneyworld we AWAYS stay on points at a DVC resort. Just thinking that staying out of pocket at one of the places with in walking distance may work. We will have Premium annual passes and it is just wife and me and really wouldn't be hanging by the pool as we would only have a day or 2 at the most to take in the parks.

Thanks again

Jon

VGC is awesome! I've done it both ways and prefer to stay on property (I've stayed at all 3). If you stay off property and have to use a shuttle, it's a pain.

This is incorrect. There are many off property hotels that are right there. You do not have to take shuttles. We stayed at a Ramada that was a 5 minute walk to the entrance to Disneyland. We could see the Tower of Terror from our room.

This is incorrect. There are many off property hotels that are right there. You do not have to take shuttles. We stayed at a Ramada that was a 5 minute walk to the entrance to Disneyland. We could see the Tower of Terror from our room.

Maybe not the best wording but I meant if you stay off property at a hotel that requires a shuttle. I know there are some within walking distance. The one I stayed at (Homewood Suites) required a shuttle.

As others have mentioned, this is entirely up to you. Our first trip to Disneyland as a couple was in 2009. We stayed at the Hilton right next to the convention center. My husband works for Hilton hotels, so our stay was free (no points, no money - absolutely free), and given that information, we would still choose to stay at the VGC. While the Hilton was nice, it was a pain for us to walk back and forth. At that time, we walked through the parking lot, so it wasn't *far* but still a pain. We really like being able to go back to the room for a break in the afternoon, and we found that while at the Hilton, we just skipped it to save time.

That summer, we bought points at the VGC because we knew we wanted to be on property. Sure, there are hotels that are close enough to walk, sure they are clean and sufficient for our needs, but we WANT to stay on property. We think the Grand is beautifully themed, the service is excellent, and the walk to DL park or DCA is so easy. The Grand spoils us, and we like that. ;)

Only you can know if you are "fine" with staying off property. We would of course do it again if that was the difference between going or not, but as long as we have points, we'll be at the VGC. Good luck with your decision. :goodvibes

If you want June at VGC, your 7 month window has passed, and I don't know if its very likely you'll be able to get a room there anyways.

It books pretty fast at 7 months. It is a lovely resort though, we love it there. Can't beat a private entrance to a Disney park exclusive to on-site guests just steps from your villa. :thumbsup2

I'd waitlist and make a back-up reservation at one of the nearby hotels across the streets: Best Western Park Place Inn if you're not planning on spending much time in your room, or one of the convention center hotels if you don't mind walking and want something nice but relatively cheap.

One of the great perks of staying at the Grand Californian is joining the "morning power walk" through the California Adventure park before it opens. You can only join the walk if you are staying at the Grand Cal!

VGC is so worth the points!
It is a beautiful hotel, extra comfy pool loungers, wonderful cabanas that are affordable, a character restaurant, and quick access to the parks. What more could you ask for?:confused3

Lunch at Club 33;):earsboy:

I may be biased since we own at VGC, but we absolutely love it! The convenience of the GC is without peer at DLR or WDW. The villas are outstanding. We have always stayed at a 1 or 2 bedroom. The lobby is spectacular. The tour of the GCH is a lot of fun if you enjoy architecture. There are a lot of features of the hotel that you miss if you don't have someone point them out to you. Guests at the Disney hotels also get into DL and DCA an hour before other guests. If you want to see the World of Color, one of the best shows Disney has, you can pick up your fast pass before other people and hopefully get a good location. GCH also has an entrance directly into DCA which is very convenient. Look at pictures of the resort to get a feel for it. This trip report has some pictures from our last stay at VGC.

If you feel you can spare the points, I would definitely stay at the VGC.

If you want June at VGC, your 7 month window has passed, and I don't know if its very likely you'll be able to get a room there anyways.

It books pretty fast at 7 months. It is a lovely resort though, we love it there. Can't beat a private entrance to a Disney park exclusive to on-site guests just steps from your villa. :thumbsup2

I'd waitlist and make a back-up reservation at one of the nearby hotels across the streets: Best Western Park Place Inn if you're not planning on spending much time in your room, or one of the convention center hotels if you don't mind walking and want something nice but relatively cheap.

Jon,
We will be going to DL around your time as well. I originally wanted to book the VGc using out points for three night on 6/19, but they have no rooms. So I kept calling every day until on the 22nd when our three nights were finally available. I have to agree that the vgc is pretty hard to book unless you are the first few one to call right on your 7-month window.but keep trying, I heard so many good things about VGC.
Good luck!

P.s. just be prepare the there is going to be a big conference during that time at Anaheim and most of the hotel rooms are being reserved.

Jon,
We will be going to DL around your time as well. I originally wanted to book the VGc using out points for three night on 6/19, but they have no rooms. So I kept calling every day until on the 22nd when our three nights were finally available. I have to agree that the vgc is pretty hard to book unless you are the first few one to call right on your 7-month window.but keep trying, I heard so many good things about VGC.
Good luck!

P.s. just be prepare the there is going to be a big conference during that time at Anaheim and most of the hotel rooms are being reserved.

Thanks for the info. If we can get a room in the area great, if not we will stay in the Glendale area where the wedding is and just drive to Disneyland from there. I see you are from MA as well, we are on Cape Cod.

Thanks again

Jon

We own VGC and have stayed at Aulani. The reason why I mention this is the fact that the Villas as VGC(if you can get them) are better than at Aulani! The overall resort is better at Aulani tho. Anyway we love VGC because of the size of the rooms and of course the proximity to the parks.

As many have mentioned it's tough to book but keep trying! You won't regret it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!