Grand Californian Waitlist

Rpsemont

DIS Veteran
I have a waitlist for a studio at Grand Californian Villas for mid August. Any thoughts on the likelihood it will come through? I tried to book right at the 7 month mark - but no luck. I would also consider booking at Paradise Pier with points, but obviously would prefer the villa's. Anyone familiar with The California resort and how long I should give the waitlist before booking at Paradise Pier? If I book at Paradise Pier and then the villas comes through, I can't convert those points back. So when I book at Paradise Pier, I will cancel my waitlist. I want to do one of these options. I really don't want to pay cash.

Thanks
Anne

I have a waitlist for a studio at Grand Californian Villas for mid August. Any thoughts on the likelihood it will come through? I tried to book right at the 7 month mark - but no luck. I would also consider booking at Paradise Pier with points, but obviously would prefer the villa's. Anyone familiar with The California resort and how long I should give the waitlist before booking at Paradise Pier? If I book at Paradise Pier and then the villas comes through, I can't convert those points back. So when I book at Paradise Pier, I will cancel my waitlist. I want to do one of these options. I really don't want to pay cash.

Thanks
Anne
Depending on your use year and home resort you could likely rent out your points and pay cash at Paradise Pier. Essentially hold the waitlist at VGC, book a room cash, and before your banking deadline make a decision (if those points can be banked). At that point you could cancel the waitlist bank the points (to rent in the following Use Year) and pay the cash room rate. You'll come out slightly ahead renting and paying cash.

If you can't bank your points you'll have to rent them in the Use Year they currently reside which might be a bit more difficult with availability options at Disney World.

We've wait listed one night for a one BR and have had luck with it coming through most of the time. For more than one night, it becomes less likely and probably even less likely for a studio

I agree with CaliAdventurer that the chances of a waitlist coming thru will be almost non-existent if SWGE is open. Another thing to keep in mind is that once dates for SWGE start firming up, rooms all around that area are going to book up quickly. So, you might want to book what you can now.

Depending on your use year and home resort you could likely rent out your points and pay cash at Paradise Pier. Essentially hold the waitlist at VGC, book a room cash, and before your banking deadline make a decision (if those points can be banked). At that point you could cancel the waitlist bank the points (to rent in the following Use Year) and pay the cash room rate. You'll come out slightly ahead renting and paying cash.

Thanks for saying this. I have rented my points many times and for some reason I was STUCK on using them - even to the extent of using the higher point values to book Paradise Pier. But of course, the minute you convert them to resort points, they are forever resort points. On further consideration, I can probably rent my points, and pay not only for nearby offsite hotel but my tickets too! So, I have my waitlist and now have cash reservations as couple nearby hotels - with last minute cancellation policies. So I can wait it out, not worry, not stress. The points I have available are June 2019 points, so in renting them out, they can be used for 2019 or 2020 reservations.

I have the waitlist for a Sunday - Tuesday stay.

OMG! Just thought I'd update. While still trying to figure out what to do, my 3 night waitlist for 8/11-8/14 came through! Woohoo! The thing is, I didn't even get an email notification, so I'm not sure when it came through! I just happened to visit by Dashboard, and there it was! So psyched!
Now I just need to decide where to stay for the first night, as we will arrive 8/10.

Are there any particular perks I should know about staying here?

OMG! Just thought I'd update. While still trying to figure out what to do, my 3 night waitlist for 8/11-8/14 came through! Woohoo! The thing is, I didn't even get an email notification, so I'm not sure when it came through! I just happened to visit by Dashboard, and there it was! So psyched!
Now I just need to decide where to stay for the first night, as we will arrive 8/10.

Are there any particular perks I should know about staying here?
Congratulations!! If you check in early on the 11th, you'll be able to take advantage of the extra magic hour for Disney hotel guests, even if your room isn't ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts