Grand Californian Villas- Studio?

Andrea0710

Mouseketeer
Last time we went to DLR, we stayed at Paradise Pier and absolutely loved it. However, this time my in laws have graciously said that we can use their points for the next trip, which we are hoping is next Thanksgiving. Has anyone ever stayed in the Studio Villas at Grand Californian? Are they a good size for a family of four (kiddos will be 10 and 5 then)? Thanks in advance!

They are on the bigger size of the studios. Just under 400sq/ft. We stayed there with no issue with a family of four. Kids were 5 + 3 at the time. Paradise Pier standard rooms are 365 sq/ft for comparison. Enjoy your trip.

Do your in-laws own at VGC? If they do not, you will need divine intervention to get a studio.

No they do not. They only own in Saratoga Springs in WDW.

Can you only use DVC points at GC?

VGC is kinda small to be shopping for leftovers at the 7 month window...

VGC - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 23 Dedicated 2BR villas - 23 Lockoffs - 2 Grand Villas = 48 Villas / 71 Max. Available

VGC is kinda small to be shopping for leftovers at the 7 month window...

VGC - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 23 Dedicated 2BR villas - 23 Lockoffs - 2 Grand Villas = 48 Villas / 71 Max. Available

What does the second part of your post mean?

What does the second part of your post mean?

Short version is that there are only 23 total possible studios that can be booked at VGC. They are generally gone before they can be booked by owners of resorts other than VGC, such as your relatives who own at Saratoga. Your likelihood of being able to use their Saratoga points for a vacation at VGC are extremely low, especially for a Thanksgiving trip. If you meant Thanksgiving 2020, I can tell you as a fact that they are long since booked, since the window for non-VGC owners to book it started in April, and they were probably already gone then. (We do not check availability for specific dates here per DIS rules, but I don't even have to look to confidently say that studios are long gone at VGC for this November.)

We would actually be booking for next November 2021.
Here’s a link to a post with charts showing the likelihood of being able to book at VGC at various times throughout the year. If you do not own at VGC, you cannot book there until 7 months before your expected arrival day.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...tember-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/#post-59393366
As you can see in the chart, late November for non-owners seeking a studio is not likely to happen.

Here’s a link to a post with charts showing the likelihood of being able to book at VGC at various times throughout the year. If you do not own at VGC, you cannot book there until 7 months before your expected arrival day.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...tember-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/#post-59393366
As you can see in the chart, late November for non-owners seeking a studio is not likely to happen.

That's so disheartening! Is there any way you could book earlier with extra money paid? or extra points used?

That is so upsetting!
Please don’t be too upset. There are a lot of other DVC resorts where the points can be used. It’s just that VGC is so small and members who own there bought their points to stay there. It is currently the only DVC resort on the West Coast.

Please don’t be too upset. There are a lot of other DVC resorts where the points can be used. It’s just that VGC is so small and members who own there bought their points to stay there. It is currently the only DVC resort on the West Coast.

Well, we wanted to use the points at Disneyland. We might just have to book a room at Paradise Pier where we stayed last time.

Could we book Paradise Pier when the calendar gets released and then try to book GC at 7 months?

Well, we wanted to use the points at Disneyland. We might just have to book a room at Paradise Pier where we stayed last time.

Could we book Paradise Pier when the calendar gets released and then try to book GC at 7 months?
If you paid cash at PP. If your relatives have direct points and convert them for use at PP, they cannot be converted back to book DVC if available

Just to clarify @_auroraborealis_ ‘s post.

Direct points are DVC points purchased directly from DVC and not from the resale market. Anyone who bought resale after March 2011 cannot use their points for the Disney Collection.

What’s the Disney Collection? Basically, they are the hotel rooms that Disney owns worldwide. Paradise Pier would be one of those hotels. The number of points per night can vary depending on season and type of room. Generally speaking, it’s a poor exchange value for your points.

Why are the points “stuck” and I can’t book a regular DVC room with them later? Because you will have exchanged those points from DVC Resort points to Hotel Resort points. That’s a one way street and cannot be reversed once done.

So, you can book Paradise Pier with cash and cancel that any time for a refund under their cancellation policy. But if you use your in-law’s DVC points to book it (if those points are eligible for the Disney Collection) you will not be able to use them later for a VGC studio should one become available.

That's so disheartening! Is there any way you could book earlier with extra money paid? or extra points used?

I bought a 150 VGC resale in January, paid $180 a point so that I could get the 11 month window. That’s the only way to book earlier with your account.

One alternative is if you contact one of the rental sites to see if a VGC member would rent to you.

20200212_153641.jpg20200212_153659.jpg20200212_153710.jpg20200212_153733.jpgvgcbalcony.jpg
Pictures of a VGC studio that I took in February. If you hardly spend any time in the room, it should be fine for your family. FWIW, there was a time I stayed a night in the studio and the next night in the regular room and we all felt much more spread out and comfortable in the regular room. The big difference is there was no kitchenette and the regular room had 2 regular beds instead of a sofa bed. I used to own there, but now just rent from other owners. It is very difficult to book a room there (which is part of the reason I sold).

"Could we book Paradise Pier when the calendar gets released and then try to book GC at 7 months?"

I would. Make your Paradise Pier reservation and at the 7month window book any available days(if any) and waitlist the others. You'll have a fun (anguishing) 6months to see if your waitlist comes through! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter