Grand Californian Super Thread

You can get $150 max off right now booking through Cheaptickets or Orbitz, and still have free cancellation. See Mousesavers to get the respective codes.

Some report that booking through a 3rd party site will get you the bottom of the list when it comes to room requests and upgrades. I've had success with both, but I think it's more a matter of occupancy.

For possible Disney specials, I would only expect a promo if staying Sun to Thursday. And even then I think this year chances are slim depending on how Star Wars goes.

Thank you... I will check those out. I knew that Star Wars was going to cause an increase, but got a bit of sticker shock when four nights came out to be much, much more expensive than in 2014 for six nights.

I will say that the front desk at PPH and GCH both told me that third party and TA bookings are put at the bottom of the list for room requests/upgrades. Just came up in conversation when I asked how much work it was for the room assigner to figure it all out with requests at PPH; I don't remember how it came up at GCH. Though they did specifically mention that booking through Costco Travel was considered as booking through Disney (on the back-end they have a special relationship it seems).

However, I'm in the mindset that room requests/upgrades are all luck based anyways so would never stop me from booking the cheapest option.
Front line CMs told you that but I concur & call no on that being how it actually works. Neither here nor from what I’ve seen on the WDW side has anyone seen any correlation between booking method & upgrades/room request honoring.

Thank you... I will check those out. I knew that Star Wars was going to cause an increase, but got a bit of sticker shock when four nights came out to be much, much more expensive than in 2014 for six nights.
What we did to save some money last trip was stay offsite the night before our trip & on the last night of the trip. Yeah, prices have skyrocketed!

Front line CMs told you that but I concur & call no on that being how it actually works. Neither here nor from what I’ve seen on the WDW side has anyone seen any correlation between booking method & upgrades/room request honoring.
Well the one working the desk at PPH was presenting as the room assigner (and they specifically said rooms bought from a third party were placed into certain locations if available). Though like I said it’s likely hard to even get any correlation between booking through Disney and a third party simply because the biggest factor is having open your request on your check in day. So that really is the driving limiter which is why I freely book the cheapest avenue because even if it’s true it’s likely to ever be the reason you don’t get your room assignment. So I’m in agreement, in practice, even if the rumors are true it has little to no practical impact.

Though now thinking about it I wonder if that was only if no request were received for those reservations.

Last edited:

Are there any rooms at GCH where the sinks are separated from the living area with a door? I've got reservations for a standard 2 queen room, but I get up really early every morning to run and I don't want to wake everyone up putting in my contacts!

Are there any known issues with hot water at GCH? We’re here now and only 1 out of 5 of us were able to get a hot shower. We’re in a standard room above the front/entrance of the hotel. We’ve never had a problem here before but we’ve never had a room in this area either.

Are there any known issues with hot water at GCH? We’re here now and only 1 out of 5 of us were able to get a hot shower. We’re in a standard room above the front/entrance of the hotel. We’ve never had a problem here before but we’ve never had a room in this area either.
No issues posted recently. You should request a new room, perhaps go to the front desk right now.
Once you have a new room (or have checked out) post the problematic room number (for future reference).

Are there any rooms at GCH where the sinks are separated from the living area with a door? I've got reservations for a standard 2 queen room, but I get up really early every morning to run and I don't want to wake everyone up putting in my contacts!
Some HA rooms have the sinks/toilet/shower together, with a door separating the living area -- these are designed for specific HA requirements, so likely not what you want.

The sink area in the regular rooms do not directly face the living area and the lights have a dimmer. There is also a small makeup mirror with it's own light.

No issues posted recently. You should request a new room, perhaps go to the front desk right now.
Once you have a new room (or have checked out) post the problematic room number (for future reference).
We completely unpacked last night. It’d be a huge chore to repack and move. Do you think we’ll continue to have this problem?

We completely unpacked last night. It’d be a huge chore to repack and move. Do you think we’ll continue to have this problem?

No one can tell you for sure but if you don't talk to the front desk , don't call actually talk to someone physically nothing can be addressed. While it may be an inconvenience , think about what is more important to you. This has been reiterated several times that if you experience an issue don't just let it slip, make sure it is acknowledged and addressed while there so they are given the opportunity to correct it.

We have stayed in that location several times in what used to be the only rooms with a regular daybed over the front entrance and had problems with the hot water on a reoccurring basis. One time the front desk told us it was because it was morning and lots of people were getting ready to go the parks. No joke. The lack of hot water did continue at sporadic times over the course of our stays.

We have stayed in that location several times in what used to be the only rooms with a regular daybed over the front entrance and had problems with the hot water on a reoccurring basis. One time the front desk told us it was because it was morning and lots of people were getting ready to go the parks. No joke. The lack of hot water did continue at sporadic times over the course of our stays.
Thank you, I was afraid of this

Thanks for the info on the bathroom/living area issue. I'd be curious to know how others dealt with getting ready, etc., without disturbing the rest of the family. I'm an early bird, but I don't want to wake my kids!

Any advice and suggestions for room category to book? We currently have a DTD view room for our stay at the end of July and after reading some of the comments in this thread, it doesn't seem to be a great category with the noise level and location. Should we upgrade to a "premium view" or downgrade to courtyard view? We've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before but this is our first stay at DGC. We want a room that is convenient to getting out to the parks and we don't want a parking lot view. Thanks!

Just an update...our room above the hotel entrance didn’t have any further issues with hot water after maintenance came to check on the problem. We really liked our room in this area and it would be a close 2nd choice after the Napa Rose elevator location.

Any advice and suggestions for room category to book? We currently have a DTD view room for our stay at the end of July and after reading some of the comments in this thread, it doesn't seem to be a great category with the noise level and location. Should we upgrade to a "premium view" or downgrade to courtyard view? We've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before but this is our first stay at DGC. We want a room that is convenient to getting out to the parks and we don't want a parking lot view. Thanks!
Only Standard view rooms have a view of the parking lot, so any upgraded view category will guarantee you avoid a parking lot view. DTD view rooms will always have a longer walk, so changing type is a good idea.

I suggest booking Courtyard/Woods view.

Only Standard view rooms have a view of the parking lot, so any upgraded view category will guarantee you avoid a parking lot view. DTD view rooms will always have a longer walk, so changing type is a good idea.

I suggest booking Courtyard/Woods view.

Have people who booked "standard view" reported on still getting a courtyard/woods view or other upgraded view upon request?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get both shower heads to work at the same time?
The diverter valve between handheld and rain shower heads is a knob, so it might be possible to have both working at the same time.

I initially thought the rain shower was just a silly gimmick, but DW had me install them at home -- now I very much enjoy the rain shower :goodvibes
(I sometimes use both shower heads at once :teacher: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!