Grand Californian Super Thread

We are arriving in 2 weeks. I am considering placing an order with Vons, but was wondering if they sell cases of water in the gift shop?

I'm pretty sure they only sell individual bottles for close to $5 per bottle. OK maybe $3.99, but I think it's the same as in the park.

We've only stayed at GCH once, (but thanks to the suggestions on this thread) requested low floor, near Napa Rose elevators. Would have preferred a King bed, however for us the view was more of a priority. We faxed and called the request approximately 3-4 days before our arrival. Although we had Standard room booked, we received a Courtyard/partial DTD(view of Starbucks lol)/monorail view room. (3415) In general at Disney hotels, we typically have better luck just requesting the room location instead of saying "upgrade". YMMV!

Just wondering if you can share the fax number and did your room sleep 5 per chance? I’d like to request something like this but we need 2 queens and a day bed. Thanks!!

Any update on the pool bar construction? We’re coming soon and I wanted to request a room by the Napa rose elevators but don’t want to have a balcony over that area if construction is going on. We had a room there earlier this month but it was raining so there wasn’t any construction actually happening during our stay.
We stayed 18-22 and there was definitely construction on the pool bar 19-22. It did stop when a thunderstorm came through. The more recent photo also shows more progress than when I was there so they seem to be humming along now!

Just wondering if you can share the fax number and did your room sleep 5 per chance? I’d like to request something like this but we need 2 queens and a day bed. Thanks!!
The hotel has a lot more day beds now so we haven’t had reports of parties of 5 not receiving a day bed since the upgrade. Make it your first request for sure but don’t be afraid to tack on your other request/s. We just call our room requests in.

The hotel has a lot more day beds now so we haven’t had reports of parties of 5 not receiving a day bed since the upgrade. Make it your first request for sure but don’t be afraid to tack on your other request/s. We just call our room requests in.
Thanks so much!!

What are the lines like for extra magic hour @ the hotel entrance? We have small children and we are worried about getting trampled. Would it be better to wait for the morning rush to be over or just go to main entrance? What is best practice for families with little ones?

What are the lines like for extra magic hour @ the hotel entrance? We have small children and we are worried about getting trampled. Would it be better to wait for the morning rush to be over or just go to main entrance? What is best practice for families with little ones?

Regardless of family size or makeup I HIGHLY recommend using the main entrance , because this hotel entrance lines up so early and it can go slow due to security checks as well. It gets congested easily and you may spend most of the time in line if not prepared well.

How do I find the observation decks/patios that can somewhat see into the parks? I'd kind of like to see what WoC looks like on a day we aren't doing the parks. Also, are all guests allowed up there? I've heard something about one of them being for DVC, but also heard that anyone can get in. Where are the two located and how do I find them?

Looks like you will be there when my family flies in on Thursday. Love the GCH, wife will not stay anywhere else. Hope your trip is Magical.

Jack

How do I find the observation decks/patios that can somewhat see into the parks? I'd kind of like to see what WoC looks like on a day we aren't doing the parks. Also, are all guests allowed up there? I've heard something about one of them being for DVC, but also heard that anyone can get in. Where are the two located and how do I find them?
All guests of GCH and VGC have access to the viewing patio on the 6th floor, room key is required.
Other than individual balconies, this is the only location with a view into DCA.

Viewing patio location show in RED, there are no guest rooms in that wing on the 6th floor.
gch_patio.jpg

Looks like you will be there when my family flies in on Thursday. Love the GCH, wife will not stay anywhere else. Hope your trip is Magical.

Jack
Enjoy your trip! The Grand is our home, but we also love the DLH too. Disney knows how to do it.

Hello! Geez I haven't visited these boards for about a million years. Haven't been to DLR since November of 2014 and I'm super rusty at the planning. I've booked a room at the GCH at the heart failure inducing rate of $626 a night. I seem to remember in the past that it's a good idea to keep an eye on the rates and if they do offer a promotion, that Disney will honor it if I call and ask for the rate. Is this still the case? We will be there the first week in December... do the resort hotels still offer deals during the sort of "off season" or should I plan on paying the $626? You guys are awesome - thank you! :)

Plan on the $626 + taxes. If you qualify for a deal, you most likely will have to cancel the 626 rate and book the deal if that is possible at that time.
Good luck

:sad1: I was hoping this would not be the correct answer. But thank you for the reply!

You can get $150 max off right now booking through Cheaptickets or Orbitz, and still have free cancellation. See Mousesavers to get the respective codes.

Some report that booking through a 3rd party site will get you the bottom of the list when it comes to room requests and upgrades. I've had success with both, but I think it's more a matter of occupancy.

For possible Disney specials, I would only expect a promo if staying Sun to Thursday. And even then I think this year chances are slim depending on how Star Wars goes.

Some report that booking through a 3rd party site will get you the bottom of the list when it comes to room requests and upgrades. I've had success with both, but I think it's more a matter of occupancy.
I will say that the front desk at PPH and GCH both told me that third party and TA bookings are put at the bottom of the list for room requests/upgrades. Just came up in conversation when I asked how much work it was for the room assigner to figure it all out with requests at PPH; I don't remember how it came up at GCH. Though they did specifically mention that booking through Costco Travel was considered as booking through Disney (on the back-end they have a special relationship it seems).

However, I'm in the mindset that room requests/upgrades are all luck based anyways so would never stop me from booking the cheapest option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!