Grand Californian Super Thread

I'm going to be driving in from San Diego on Sunday and I thought the best route was probably I5 to Katella and then Disneyland Dr however in looking at the directions on the Disneyland site (and google maps), it looks like it's I5 to Harbor to Ball then Disneyland Dr. This is my first time driving here so I'm not sure if there's a reason why it says to take Harbor instead of Katella? Can anybody fill me in on why or what is the best way to take? I'm looking for the way that will have the least probability of me getting lost, lol. Thanks in advance!

it looks like it's I5 to Harbor to Ball then Disneyland Dr.
I prefer that way because it takes you directly to the Mickey and Friends parking lot. Exit Harbor from the 5, turn right from the lane that allows you to go more than one way. You'll take the next left on Ball road and it's only a couple blocks to turn left to the Mickey and Friends lot. We appreciate having access to the restroom at that lot after driving up from San Diego.

If you take Katella, chances are very high that it will route you to the Toy Story Lot. I've had both good and bad experiences with that. I've had 20 minute car lines to get to the lot and then you wait for a bus to take you to the parks and there you have to go through security, which can also have long lines before you can get to a restroom. May not be a big deal for some, but I drink about a gallon of water every day and I need that restroom break at the other lot after driving.

The one downside of the taking Harbor with the hopes of getting Mickey and Friends is that the Anaheim police will sometimes close that lot during times that they expect traffic to be too busy in the area. When that happens, you get rerouted to the Toy Story lot.

I'm going to be driving in from San Diego on Sunday and I thought the best route was probably I5 to Katella and then Disneyland Dr however in looking at the directions on the Disneyland site (and google maps), it looks like it's I5 to Harbor to Ball then Disneyland Dr. This is my first time driving here so I'm not sure if there's a reason why it says to take Harbor instead of Katella? Can anybody fill me in on why or what is the best way to take? I'm looking for the way that will have the least probability of me getting lost, lol. Thanks in advance!
If you take Katella to Disneyland Dr you still have to drive up to Ball to turn around to get into the garage. Going the way you origionally planned doesn’t have a parking entrance on that side of the street & that’s why it gave you the other directions.

Thanks for the responses cruisehopeful and j9isawesome. So if I'm parking at GCH, either way seems good (sorry, I should have specified that I'll be parking at GCH)?

Thanks for the responses cruisehopeful and j9isawesome. So if I'm parking at GCH, either way seems good (sorry, I should have specified that I'll be parking at GCH)?
If you're going to the GCH I'd get off at Katella and go Disneyland Dr to avoid the parking structure area. It's not that bad but coming from Katella is simpler, I think.

If you're going to the GCH I'd get off at Katella and go Disneyland Dr to avoid the parking structure area. It's not that bad but coming from Katella is simpler, I think.

Great, thanks! Been planning for this trip for close to 8 months and all the sudden it's tomorrow and I'm trying to finish last minute things and figured I should probably know the best way to get there lol. :scared:

...So if I'm parking at GCH, either way seems good (sorry, I should have specified that I'll be parking at GCH)?
This is the GCH Superthread, so your destination was implied :goodvibes

I agree the most straightforward route is: 5 North, left on Katella, right on Disneyland Drive.
If you are a carpool: Stay in the carpool lane, exit Gene Autry Way (on left direct from carpool lane), left on Gene Autry, right on Haster, left on Katella, right on Disneyland Drive
gch_directions.jpg

Thanks for the reply, Nonsuch! I didn't know about the exit on Gene Autry Way so this is good information to have. :D

Spending the day at Storytellers, exploring the resort and DTD on the 26th. What is not to be missed at the hotel? I have read about the gingerbread house and the hidden mickeys in the house. Is there a hidden Mickey list of resort locations? Also, is there a spot where we can view DCA from up above? Thanks!

Hi again. I read that there is an observation deck at the grand Californian. But is this only available to hotel guests? Trying to figure out how to show the kids views of California adventure. Thanks!

There is a deck on the 6th floor of the Disney Vacation Club wing that has a great view of Pixar Pier. You need a room key to get into it. You might be able to do a DVC tour and get to see it that way?

Oh wow. That’s so pretty. And so close to the park!!! Maybe it’s better that we don’t see this Bc the kids will be more upset that we aren’t going!

Even better at night, and we could watch Paint the Night, although there were a lot of trees in the way.
IMG_1350 copy.jpg

Even better at night, and we could watch Paint the Night, although there were a lot of trees in the way.
View attachment 370470
gorgeous!!!!!!!!! i can't drag my party of 8 on a DVC tour, but maybe someone can take us up if they are feeling cheery!
One time I wanted to go out there after we had checked out and my key didn't work any more, but I happened to see a CM up there, and he let me in with his key.

So we will valet at the hotel for our storytellers meal. Then we will want to walk around DTD. Will we have to go through security? Last summer when we ate at paradise pier and then headed to DTD we went through security and the lines were so long.

So we will valet at the hotel for our storytellers meal. Then we will want to walk around DTD. Will we have to go through security?
Yes. In order to get into DTD from the GC you will go through security.

Hello
I’m about to make room request but realize I’m not sure what bed options there are in the remodeled hotel. I tried searching this but couldn’t find succinct explanation. I’d appreciate suggestions that will work best for me (mom) and my two very tall (6 feet and 6’2”) teenaged sons.
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts