Grand Californian Super Thread

I have not encountered any long lines at the DTD security checkpoint from GCH.

Over the Holidays I witnessed the DTD security line backed all the way up to the Christmas Tree in the lobby...no joke...so it does happen.

They ended up bringing folks through the Courtyard and opened a third checkpoint that entered DTD behind Starbucks to relieve the pressure but it was a cluster for a while.

I would love to hear about all of your experiences with the Downtown Disney security checkpoint. There are a couple of horror stories that it can take up to 45 minutes to go through on EE days. How long is the wait on average? I will be staying at the Grand in April and just want to be prepared. With only two check points I am fearing that the wait might be longer.
I was there the week before Xmas and saw kinda what @ParkHopper1 did. Think we were around the same time. I was lucky my first DL EMH & they had the 3rd gate open & got sent over there (don't remember what the wait was so it must have been around 10 mins) but the 2nd EMH they didn't open it and we were like 30 mins in line. Ridiculous, line was halfway past the convention area when we joined. Specific to that week I will say Disney Parks in CA were completely overwhelmed by the crowds that week to the point they extended park hours. (Although that's no excuse for the 30 min wait at GCH on DL EMH mornings, they should know exactly what crowds to expect based on hotel capacity at this point.)

We were there the weekend of the 15th of December. The lines were as far back as the entrance to the main convention center hall and they hadn't opened the third security site. Now I know why they have a set up there. I've never seen it in operation, but then I try to avoid peak times at the parks.

Hello experts. I’ve looked through many pages and did a search but still not sure of the info. What room type should I book for best chance to be near Napa Rose elevators? And to specifically ask for that area do I call ahead of time or is there someone to email? Many thanks!

With the remodel to the rooms, we were wondering if the rooms still have a small refrigerator?

They do, although we found that it was difficult to fit much in there. it was perfect for drinks, but when we had a take out container with fruit and cheese left over, it didn't fit in the fridge.

...What room type should I book for best chance to be near Napa Rose elevators? And to specifically ask for that area do I call ahead of time or is there someone to email?
Rooms on the upper floors (5-6) near the Napa Rose elevators are generally assigned to Club Level guests, although GCH does not have dedicated floors for Club Level (as WDW does).

The "best chance" is likely the most expensive, Premium View Club Level. You should then be able to contact the Club Level Concierge prior to arrival.

A Woods/Courtyard view should have a better chance than a Standard view, since many rooms near the elevators are courtyard or woods (facing the park viewing trees). Try calling GCH directly to have requests added, there does not seem to be a way to email.

DTD View rooms will be far from the elevators.

Rooms on the upper floors (5-6) near the Napa Rose elevators are generally assigned to Club Level guests, although GCH does not have dedicated floors for Club Level (as WDW does).

The "best chance" is likely the most expensive, Premium View Club Level. You should then be able to contact the Club Level Concierge prior to arrival.

A Woods/Courtyard view should have a better chance than a Standard view, since many rooms near the elevators are courtyard or woods (facing the park viewing trees). Try calling GCH directly to have requests added, there does not seem to be a way to email.

DTD View rooms will be far from the elevators.

So if I have a premium view club level I can call them ahead of time to ask for room location? Do you know the number I would call?

They do, although we found that it was difficult to fit much in there. it was perfect for drinks, but when we had a take out container with fruit and cheese left over, it didn't fit in the fridge.

That's interesting! Do you think the new fridges are smaller than the 'old ones'? We usually only use it for water/soda and a few smallish small items. Oh, and foot lotion, nothing like cold foot lotion just before bed when you've been on your feet all day.

That's interesting! Do you think the new fridges are smaller than the 'old ones'? We usually only use it for water/soda and a few smallish small items. Oh, and foot lotion, nothing like cold foot lotion just before bed when you've been on your feet all day.

It seemed to me (and my memory isn't so great) that the shelves were really narrow now - it was odd, but it wasn't a very deep fridge, if that makes sense. It worked fine for the bottles of water we had, but our take out box was too large to fit flat. We could angle it in a bit, but that only worked because it was just cheese and fruit, so nothing that would make a mess leaking out of the box. So it's great for drinks, and I'm sure your lotion will be fine, but not good for anything larger, like a leftover dessert or something.

So if I have a premium view club level I can call them ahead of time to ask for room location? Do you know the number I would call?

I'm staying club level next week, and they called me at the beginning of this week. They already had my room and view assigned to me, so I'm sure they could tell you at that time. I got the impression I could try and change it then if I wanted (I didn't).

It seemed to me (and my memory isn't so great) that the shelves were really narrow now - it was odd, but it wasn't a very deep fridge, if that makes sense. It worked fine for the bottles of water we had, but our take out box was too large to fit flat. We could angle it in a bit, but that only worked because it was just cheese and fruit, so nothing that would make a mess leaking out of the box. So it's great for drinks, and I'm sure your lotion will be fine, but not good for anything larger, like a leftover dessert or something.

Then they must be smaller. I remember putting smallish take out boxes in them as well as a bit of lunch meat and some gluten free bread on a few previous trips. Not big amounts, but enough for a few sammies.

Sounds more like what they have now is a 'beverage fridge' designed to hold cans and bottles as opposed to something designed to hold food. That's a shame. I'm gluten free and as a rule I do fine at Disney and at this point I just take some GF scones for breakfast and they'd probably fit. But some people with more complex allergies need to take more food than that and a smaller fridge will make things a bit harder for them.

Then they must be smaller. I remember putting smallish take out boxes in them as well as a bit of lunch meat and some gluten free bread on a few previous trips. Not big amounts, but enough for a few sammies.

Sounds more like what they have now is a 'beverage fridge' designed to hold cans and bottles as opposed to something designed to hold food. That's a shame. I'm gluten free and as a rule I do fine at Disney and at this point I just take some GF scones for breakfast and they'd probably fit. But some people with more complex allergies need to take more food than that and a smaller fridge will make things a bit harder for them.

I have the same vague memory as @ImarriedGrumpy. We had cartons of leftovers from WOC dessert party and I recall kind of tilting and pushing to get them in the fridge in one of the remodeled rooms. May be smaller than the old ones. I don’t recall having that issue before. But probably stuff in plastic bags would squeeze in better.

I have the same vague memory as @ImarriedGrumpy. We had cartons of leftovers from WOC dessert party and I recall kind of tilting and pushing to get them in the fridge in one of the remodeled rooms. May be smaller than the old ones. I don’t recall having that issue before. But probably stuff in plastic bags would squeeze in better.

Yes - that was it exactly! We had fruit and cheese leftovers from WOC dessert party, and decided we'd save them for the morning to feed to the kids in the room before we headed into the park. It was really crazy trying to get the container into the fridge, especially with our water bottles in there, too. We couldn't fit two take out containers in there at a time. I don't recall having this problem with the old fridges, so I think they must be smaller now.

But overall we did like the remodeled room. It was nice being able to tuck our suitcases away under the beds, and the fold out bed on the couch was a huge hit with the kids. We loved the shower, and fortunately, the kids were all old enough that we didn't need a tub. We also LOVED having USB ports on the outlets for charging.

Well, we are having a "not so great" visit. We arrived Thursday night and are staying club level. Our visit to the parks are great. However, we must be having awful luck in the hotel rooms (we have 2.) First, I woke up with breathing issues (not hotel issue) and had forgotten my inhaler in the car. So at 705a, I went down to valet and asked to have someone get it. The valet area wasn't busy, in fact 3 valet people were standing around chatting. It took 20 mins to get the inhaler. Not a big deal except I had hoped to grab something from the concierge lounge prior to a meeting at 740a, so had to skip that. I seriously did not expect it to take that long. I often forget things in the car at DLH, and it is rarely longer than 5-7 mins. And I don't see them standing on the drive with my key for that length of time.

Then, we got back from our day for a rest at 3pm. Our room had yet to be cleaned. I figure they are running behind. I called VIP services because our room did not have bottled water (club level gets bottled water) and asked about housekeeping. He stated he would have them deliver water and ask to have them do our rooms next. Not a biggie. We were there til 440, when we left to meet friends in the park for dinner. I initially went upstairs to the Verandah to check it out and get pictures, however, it was not yet set up. They had several items out, but did not have serving tools out. This meant instead of waiting on them to bring out serviceware, people were using their fingers to grab cheeses, crackers, appetizers, etc... One server told me "We put them out when we get everything set up"... But having several hands moving the food around to get what they wanted did not make it appetizing for me. Luckily, I hadn't planned on eating, I just wanted to check it out.

We arrive back in the room after dinner about 845p. Water had been delivered, but rooms still not done. Turn down service was in my son's room, and he had her do bedding and towels. She then came to my room and was surprised it also had not been cleaned. So she made the beds quickly, changed towels, emptied trash, and repeatedly apologized. I called VIP services, and the same gentleman answered and was a little dismayed as he had specifically been told it had been handled.

Will let you know how day 2 goes.

Will let you know how day 2 goes.
I hope it goes much better. You pay a lot of money for that level of service. It sounds like a comedy of errors. You've stayed there many times and have had many good experiences. I hope you will let management know all the mistakes of this stay. Imagine if you had never stayed there before. This would be your only memory of the place.

I hope it goes much better. You pay a lot of money for that level of service. It sounds like a comedy of errors. You've stayed there many times and have had many good experiences. I hope you will let management know all the mistakes of this stay. Imagine if you had never stayed there before. This would be your only memory of the place.
Yes. We have been skipped before so not the first time. Never been skipped at DLH which is weird. I made sure VIP knew and have already alerted them for today.

Well, my word, that is NOT good! I wonder if they were caught short staffed or something.

And the lounge food thing is yuck! The thought of fingers cruising around in the food kills my appetite for sure. They should put the serve ware out FIRST and then the food.

Well, my word, that is NOT good! I wonder if they were caught short staffed or something.

And the lounge food thing is yuck! The thought of fingers cruising around in the food kills my appetite for sure. They should put the serve ware out FIRST and then the food.

Yuck. I agree with the serve ware being the FIRST items to be put out, then the food/beverages. I am one of first people at the grocery store for this reason. I do not know where everyone have had their hands/fingers, so I want to be the first or one of the first customers to touch stuff, especially the produce.

I hope this was the worst of your trip, and the rest is awesome! Looking forward to pictures, especially of the lounge and the food.

...And the lounge food thing is yuck! The thought of fingers cruising around in the food kills my appetite for sure. They should put the serve ware out FIRST and then the food.
While CMs should put out the serve ware with the food, impatient guests could also use regular silverware located in drawers directly below the buffet counter -- no excuse for using fingers :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter