Grand Californian Super Thread

^ Thank you! We have another hotel booked and once we purchase the AP's next month will see if they have any rooms left at the 25% off rate Sunday-Thursday. Only trick is we'll be there Friday and Saturday too, so we'll need to make two reservations.
I believe you can make it all in one reservation. The Fri and Sat just would be at the regular rate.
If it's something you're interested in, you might call and ask if you can book the AP rate since you plan to buy next month.

I believe you can make it all in one reservation. The Fri and Sat just would be at the regular rate.
If it's something you're interested in, you might call and ask if you can book the AP rate since you plan to buy next month.
Unless things have changed, you can book the room at the AP rate as long as you have an AP when you check in, and even then they'll let you run and get it if you just have a voucher. They don't ask you for the number or anything when you book, or they didn't used to.

We are headed there in two weeks. How is the construction? We booked a standard room, if that matters.
Most Standard view rooms are at the front of GCH, and most of those were renovated several months ago. A few Standard view rooms near the lobby were not done in late July (my last visit), but might be done now.

Renovation is scheduled to complete in mid-October (according to some posts).

When I was there on 9/18 I saw this in the lobby, to the left of the fireplace.

x17DL0918GCH01.jpg

When I was there on 9/18 I saw this in the lobby, to the left of the fireplace.

x17DL0918GCH01.jpg

Thank you for the quick posting! I wonder where the Craftsman's Club is going to be and for how long. Interesting! The right side past the rope, there are two chairs and an outlet! I love sitting there while charging my phone while enjoying a beverage.

Thank you for the quick posting! I wonder where the Craftsman's Club is going to be and for how long. Interesting! The right side past the rope, there are two chairs and an outlet! I love sitting there while charging my phone while enjoying a beverage.

Actually I had tried to post it that morning when I took the photo, but with the whole photobucket mess, the way I post my photos now is a long and drawn out process which can only be done from my computer. Your post reminded me that I had the picture in my phone and should "process" it and put it up. Looks like the beverages and seating area is out on the area where the smokers used to congregate.

Actually I had tried to post it that morning when I took the photo, but with the whole photobucket mess, the way I post my photos now is a long and drawn out process which can only be done from my computer. Your post reminded me that I had the picture in my phone and should "process" it and put it up. Looks like the beverages and seating area is out on the area where the smokers used to congregate.

Holy smokes!! Where are they sending the smokers? Very interesting. I hope you will post more of your photos!

Holy smokes!! Where are they sending the smokers? Very interesting. I hope you will post more of your photos!

That was the only photo I took. I happened to be in the lobby of the Grand waiting for a friend who was staying there when I noticed that sign.

That was the only photo I took. I happened to be in the lobby of the Grand waiting for a friend who was staying there when I noticed that sign.

Wow! Glad this shot was your choice for the shot of the day. Thanks again for posting. There isn't much being posted on the progress of the renovation. I know it is nearing the end. It is nice to see pictures of it all. Trying to convince hubby it would be a great place to spend our 35th wedding anniversary (with concierge). The more pictures I can tempt him with, the better for me! LOL.

Just checked out on Tuesday, the 26th, and the entire Great Hall was curtained off Monday morning except for a walkway around the perimeter. So glad we got to see it before it was gone. The Craftsman Club looked pretty nice with tables and seating out on the grass. From what I could see, the food offerings were on the cement area in front of the fireplace. Could see construction being done on rooms in the area above White Water snacks.

Just checked out on Tuesday, the 26th, and the entire Great Hall was curtained off Monday morning except for a walkway around the perimeter. So glad we got to see it before it was gone. The Craftsman Club looked pretty nice with tables and seating out on the grass. From what I could see, the food offerings were on the cement area in front of the fireplace. Could see construction being done on rooms in the area above White Water snacks.
Does anyone know if the lobby is still being worked on and curtained off? I'm staying at the Grand in a few days and the lobby is one of my favorite areas of the hotel. Thanks.

Still curtained -- a CM said it will hopefully be finished by the end of the week.

Hi we are going in November and staying on property for the first time! :) We booked a 2br suite and requested a paradise bay view. I know it's not guaranteed. i was wondering if anyone here has any view pics. I've looked at the room views for the villas but since it's not a villa it wouldn't be the same. Should I stick with paradise bay view or change it to downtown disney with possibility of fireworks?

Hi we are going in November and staying on property for the first time! :) We booked a 2br suite and requested a paradise bay view. I know it's not guaranteed.
You are guaranteed to NOT get at view facing Paradise Pier, since no suites face that way :headache:

While it is a long walk, suites above World of Disney will have the best fireworks view.
5451 would be the best.

Should I stick with paradise bay view or change it to downtown disney with possibility of fireworks?

I personally hate the DTD and my least favorite of them all...including the parking lot view. You get a lot of the noise and music of DTD and if there are any street performers you get to listen to them...ALL...NIGHT...LONG. While it might seem cute and fun, it got real old real quick for us.

That and it is a freakin hike to those rooms from the elevator.

New permit:
Grand Califonian Hotel - Fitness Center - Change of Use: 1,680 s.ft convert child care center (B occupancy) to fitness center (A3 occupancy) new electrical, plumbing.

Pinocchio's Workshop (which closed earlier this year) will be a fitness center, replacing (or expanding) the existing fitness center (which was previously an arcade). Permit includes plumbing, so perhaps the new fitness center will have restrooms or showers.

You are guaranteed to NOT get at view facing Paradise Pier, since no suites face that way :headache:

While it is a long walk, suites above World of Disney will have the best fireworks view.
5451 would be the best.

I personally hate the DTD and my least favorite of them all...including the parking lot view. You get a lot of the noise and music of DTD and if there are any street performers you get to listen to them...ALL...NIGHT...LONG. While it might seem cute and fun, it got real old real quick for us.

That and it is a freakin hike to those rooms from the elevator.

Is it possible to get any theme park view? Otherwise I think my last option will be pool. I don't think DTD view will work because of the walk to elevators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter