Grand Californian Super Thread

Trishadono - I love all your pics and I'm so glad you had a nice stay! I remember you had a wonderful time at the DLH and I wasn't sure you'd like the smaller rooms, but IMHO the location (and lobby) at the GCH just can't be beat. :goodvibes:
I remember your suggestions. Having a new room made the difference. It felt big with the light colors and glass shower. The lighting also made the room feel wide.

I liked the closet and frig/bar section. It didn't seem to hog space like other rooms. The frig has a glass door that also lights brightly when opening. There was so much storage. A closet, 6 big drawers plus suitcases under the bed was nice. The love seat was big enough for seating but didn't crowd the room either.

Overall they did a nice well planned design for comfort and style. Having cute disney touches made it for me though! Loved the chip n dale's!

The photo you recently posted shows the 6 rooms without a balcony.
On the right of your photo, above the Monorail.
View attachment 246366
Those might be used by housekeeping, rather than guest rooms -- I have not confirmed either way.

I was looking at that wall and I counted 6 floors below that, or so I thought. I remember wondering if that was just dummy space. There was lots of fake spaces if you looked closely.

Maybe someone there next can figure it out:scratchin

No such you know the building so well, is there a space by that patio that could be used to house the temporary club?
The tables on the 5th floor patio at the front of the hotel are a mystery. The nearest suite (that might be used to serve food) is in the far end of the lobby, adjacent to a larger patio. Perhaps a suite and larger patio could be used as the temporary club lounge, and the smaller patio for additional seating.

For checkout day they were firm on lounge access ending at 11am.

This has not been the case for me. I was just there last week and we came back to the lounge at 11:30 on checkout day. Our Key cards opened the door and we enjoyed some tea sandwiches, cold water, and scones before driving home.

This has not been the case for me. I was just there last week and we came back to the lounge at 11:30 on checkout day. Our Key cards opened the door and we enjoyed some tea sandwiches, cold water, and scones before driving home.

It is a shame they know the cards will work but tell you they won't.

Oh well I booked the WOC dessert party for that night and they enjoyed that a lot!

Last edited:

11a -4pm

View attachment 246053

The tea sandwiches were a big hit! Also uncrustables, gold fish crackers, chexmix (similar) bowl of fresh fruit (even plums) plus the triangle scones and jams.

Also cut fruit as seen on my plate. Usually cantaloupe, melon, pineapple and strawberries and watermelon.

Coffee, tea, sodas and apple juice in cooler, ice tea and lemonade too.

We had pinot noir, sparkling wine and Blue Moon beer.
View attachment 246047 View attachment 246048 View attachment 246049 View attachment 246050

Awesome Pics; thanks for sharing. You may have convinced me to switch from DLRCL to GCHCL!

Just upgraded my GCH stay to Premium View. I put in a request for theme park. Do they still lump pool view with theme park? And can you see fireworks from either room type?

Just upgraded my GCH stay to Premium View. I put in a request for theme park. Do they still lump pool view with theme park? And can you see fireworks from either room type?
I couldn't see anything from my pool view but I wanted the new room more than a view.

Yes, pool and park are both premium view.
The top floor park view rooms facing east have a partial view of fireworks, looking left. The slight angle (not build exactly north/south) helps with the view. Only the top floor has a view, since the balcony is above the roofline. DTD view rooms will have better fireworks view.

The green rooms on the 6th floor and orange on the 5th floor will have the best views. Most are likely Club Level Premium View.
map_gch_fireworks.jpg

Yes, pool and park are both premium view.
The top floor park view rooms facing east have a partial view of fireworks, looking left. The slight angle (not build exactly north/south) helps with the view. Only the top floor has a view, since the balcony is above the roofline. DTD view rooms will have better fireworks view.

The green rooms on the 6th floor and orange on the 5th floor will have the best views. Most are likely Club Level Premium View.
View attachment 247126

Now I'm concerned that if I'm not CL, my premium view will likely face the pool. :(
It's quite frustrating that you cannot reserve (and pay accordingly) for a theme park view room. I honestly think I'd enjoy a DTD view room better, but I've read that it tends to be a long walk back the room. I'll have two kids with me so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. I've stayed here twice (wish I remembered my room numbers!) in standard view rooms and never found the walk back too bad, so maybe I shouldn't let that deter me? I'm wanting to make this trip a special "all out" trip since I think my family will not renew their APs (I probably will), but this may be our last family trip for a year or two. Maybe I should just splurge on CL??

Updates I learned yesterday from upper Management regarding refurb...they are still or track to have the renovations 100% completed by Thanksgiving. All of the bunk beds are indeed going away. All the rooms are being outfitted with the Love Seat size couches but only 300 of the rooms will have what was described as a "Convertible Sofa" that folds down into a full twin bed...not a sleeper sofa or day bed.

At any given time there is a rolling closure of about 200 rooms. Lobby refresh will just be mostly new floors, paint, and furniture and that as in full force yesterday with scaffolding going up.

Got to stay in one...I was cautiously optimistic as I personally really loved the old decor...but they are really nice and they really do feel a lot bigger. One nice new feature is that under the beds is open and now there is a great place to stash luggage and bags rather than taking up floor space! Showers are an amazing improvement.

Updates I learned yesterday from upper Management regarding refurb...they are still or track to have the renovations 100% completed by Thanksgiving. All of the bunk beds are indeed going away. All the rooms are being outfitted with the Love Seat size couches but only 300 of the rooms will have what was described as a "Convertible Sofa" that folds down into a full twin bed...not a sleeper sofa or day bed.

At any given time there is a rolling closure of about 200 rooms. Lobby refresh will just be mostly new floors, paint, and furniture and that as in full force yesterday with scaffolding going up.

Got to stay in one...I was cautiously optimistic as I personally really loved the old decor...but they are really nice and they really do feel a lot bigger. One nice new feature is that under the beds is open and now there is a great place to stash luggage and bags rather than taking up floor space! Showers are an amazing improvement.
How bad is the scaffolding in the lobby? Any idea when the lobby specifically will be wrapped up?

...All the rooms are being outfitted with the Love Seat size couches but only 300 of the rooms will have what was described as a "Convertible Sofa" that folds down into a full twin bed...not a sleeper sofa or day bed.
I assume the "Convertible Sofa" is what has been described (perhaps inaccurately) as a daybed.
300 of these beds is much better than the 39 daybeds prior to the renovation.
gch_daybed-jpg.241227

How bad is the scaffolding in the lobby? Any idea when the lobby specifically will be wrapped up?

Looks like they are doing it in quarters...scaffold was going up in the quarter of the lobby closest to the walkway to the DCA entrance and it was black draped off. Foot traffic is to and from the DCA park being diverted in and out the doors closer to the Hearthstone Lounge vs Acorn Gifts. Was not at all an issue, but there is certainly work happening!

Two other cool tidbits I learned. The new counter tops in the refurbed rooms contain recycled glass fragments embedded in them as a nod to the California Wine industry. Also something that has always apparently been there...in the halls there is a wallpaper runner at the top that is reminiscent of the redwood tree forests and as you go higher in floors from the ground level up the tress on each level actually get thinner as you go up in floors as they would in nature.

Now I'm concerned that if I'm not CL, my premium view will likely face the pool. :(
It's quite frustrating that you cannot reserve (and pay accordingly) for a theme park view room. I honestly think I'd enjoy a DTD view room better, but I've read that it tends to be a long walk back the room...
Upgrading to CL might improve your chances, but there are likely more Pool than Park view rooms -- CL or not. DTD view rooms will often be a longer walk, but can seem MUCH longer -- walking in DTD past your room above the World of Disney, then all the way to the main lobby elevators and backtracking...

I'm also frustrated that Pool and Park views are combined. It's also frustrating that bed configurations cannot be specifically booked (only requested).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter