Grand Californian Review

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
Just returned from a quick 24 hour trip to Disneyland & California Adventure. As I was going with family, decided to treat my family to a stay at the Grand Californian Hotel. Below is my review:

The hotel itself is very nice and the lobby was beautiful. Reminded me alot of the Wilderness Lodge. Also, another big plus is that the Disney touches are very suttle and mainly located in the guest rooms, so Disney is not "in your face". A big plus with this resort is that you can pre-register up to 2 hours prior to arrival. I did this, and they will ask you for both your drivers license number, as well as the credit card that will be used to pay for the room. When we arrived, I still needed to wait in line to register, but the process went much quicker. There were only 2 cast members at the registration desk (no one at guest services). By 11:30am the next morning, there was a good sized line formed and only 3 cm's at the desk. As I had seen a floor plan and had requested rooms close to the elevators. We were a little bit of a walk from them, but nothing compared to some of the rooms there. Had room 6211, which is a standard view room. We had a view of the entrance, as well as the Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier, and part of Downtown Disney. The room had 2 queen beds, a table with 2 chairs and an armoir. The sink area had 2 sinks and the underneath was open. There was also a basket under the sink for dirty towels. The bathroom had a pocket door and there was Bambi characters hidden in the shower curtain. Found the comforters needed to be replaced, as mine were torn, and you could see where quick fixes were made. There are 2 robes in the closet for your use during your stay. Where we were a little tight on time, we did not get to use the pools, but did soak our feet in the hot tub for a little while. Whitewater Snacks was great for a quick meal and really reasonable. The free refill mug was $7.99 (plus tax) and could be refilled there, as well as the lounges in the lobby area. Check out was easy. I had gone down early the next morning and received the printouts from the rooms. We were given a late checkout (12pm versus 11am), which helped alot. All I had to do is call the front desk when we left the room and that was it. Finally, we had early entry into Disneyland that morning, allowing us to get into the park at 7am. The location is wonderful and very quick to get to both theme parks and Downtown Disney. I think between the architecture of the resort, combined with the quick walks to the parks, were a great plus. It was the most I've ever paid for a Disney resort, but worth it as everyone enjoyed it. Have pictures of the room and will post a link to them soon.

Thank you for the very detailed report! We're going to the GCH on Dec. 5, it helps to know what to expect.
On the 2 hour prior phone check-in - can you do this before the 3:30 check-in time? We're planning on arriving at 2:00pm, so could I call at 12:00?

Thanks!

Thanks for the great report, Im staying at the GCH and DLH each for 4 nights in January, so I hope everything goes ok :)

:rolleyes1

On your reservation confirmation, there should be a phone number you can call to pre-register up to 2 hours prior to arrival. Now we did not call until around 4pm, so as far as calling prior to 3pm, I can't guarentee that your room would be available. You can check when you call.

Glad you enjoyed the review. It was a beautiful resort and being a less than 5 minute walk to either park was a huge help, as well the early entry into Disneyland. I have to admit that I've never paid that much for a Disney hotel room before, but everyone enjoyed it, so it was worth the $$.

Here are a couple of pictures. I will post a link soon.

GC--FrontDoors.jpg

GC--5thFloorPatioView.jpg

GC--ChristmasTree.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter