Grand Cali vs Good Neighbor Disneyland

Hi! The CG is absolutely stunningly gorgeous, has it's own entrance to California Adventure Park, and is steps away from Downtown Disney. It has lovely restaurants, a pretty pool, and all in all just exudes Disney class Luxury....

But we have never stayed there. Lol.

We always pick Good Neighbour hotels (Usually Tropicana or Howard Johnson) for a few reasons:

1) The Tropicana (and other good Neighbour Hotels) are right across the street from Disneyland, so pretty much closer to the front gates than even the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier. Can't beat them for proximity.

2) We don't care about how gorgeous our hotel is because we are never in it. Even with two kids, we leave the room to get the park for opening, and don't come back until around 10-12 pm at night. Yep. We are those people. If you are the type of family who loves pool breaks in the afternoons, or likes to go back to the room for a nap, than maybe you care about how pretty it is... we don't think it's worth the extra $$$$ just for looks, but that's just us.

3) The $$$ we save on sleeping arrangement can go to fun stuff we are actually awake for, like desserts, or character breakfasts, or extra churros, lol.

I always struggle on this idea because while I completely agree...you're not really in the room and you can save so much money by using the room to just sleep in, there is something really nice starting your day and ending the night in a Disney hotel. We stayed at the DL Hotel and it was just a perfect way to end the days. Do what's best for you! Maybe a split stay...?

I can't bring myself to pay those prices at Disneyland when I can pay 150 and have a shorter walk across the street. WDW is a different story. The GCH is so beautiful, but the rooms are small and the difference in savings is unbelivable!!! Think about that. The weekend I am going it's 620 a night, sale price. What the goof troop?? So I book at Grand Legacy for 132 a night. I buy tickets at a discount and I am only getting Max Pass for half my party when we arrive because rider swap. I just did the math, and staying across the street, I can now afford 3 TRIPS, for the price of 1 staying at the GCH. I have never understood how people can afford that hotel?!?! I stayed 1 time on my sisters dad's DVC points. It was great, but otherwise would have never happened. He happened to buy in the early 00's when points were cheap so he had lots!

We love staying at the on-site hotels but I also am a value-oriented person. There is a price at which there is no longer enough value in it for me. For an upcoming trip GCH was over $800 a night. We were planning on staying 4 nights. That’s more than a deluxe annual pass for an entire year! We stay on- site when prices are “reasonable” and off-site the other times. Of course, I prefer on-site but we still have a great time when we’re staying off-site!

I can't bring myself to pay those prices at Disneyland when I can pay 150 and have a shorter walk across the street. WDW is a different story. The GCH is so beautiful, but the rooms are small and the difference in savings is unbelivable!!! Think about that. The weekend I am going it's 620 a night, sale price. What the goof troop?? So I book at Grand Legacy for 132 a night. I buy tickets at a discount and I am only getting Max Pass for half my party when we arrive because rider swap. I just did the math, and staying across the street, I can now afford 3 TRIPS, for the price of 1 staying at the GCH. I have never understood how people can afford that hotel?!?! I stayed 1 time on my sisters dad's DVC points. It was great, but otherwise would have never happened. He happened to buy in the early 00's when points were cheap so he had lots!
That's the kind of math the justified APs when we did our year of Disney 8/2016-8/2017. I have never stayed at Grand Legacy, always Best Western and once at Park Vue. We have stayed at GCH once with DVC points, and paid way too much for PPH one time. I can go more if I stay across the street and that includes airfare and park tickets. Speaking of Grand Legacy, have you stayed there before? I haven't, but booked there for July. The reviews are mixed so I'm hoping that I didn't make a mistake, I'm already going to be in the doghouse regarding breakfast, but I'm hoping that the pool will make up for it. Teens can be hard to please.

OP, which good neighbor hotel were you thinking about staying at? There is nothing within walking distance of DLR that even comes close to GCH. I say go for it, it will be a trip you never forget.

I can't say if GCH is worth the money, but my advice would be not to do a split stay. It's work, and you're on vacation. Most places have a 11:00 or 12:00 check out, and then check-in is often not until 3:00. So, you're getting the first hotel to store your luggage, or you're going to the 2nd hotel early and getting them to store it. It's late so I've read and now forgotten if you mentioned if you have kids! However, we did it once with our kids - split a stay - and never again. It's amazing how much stuff get unpacked in 2 days, to have to pack it up again and go to a new hotel was not fun. Just my thoughts!

I really, really want to try to get out to Disneyland for a quick trip at the end of the summer. I've never been and I want to get out there before Star Wars GE opens and things get crazy and even more expensive. Are the perks and experience of staying at a Disneyland resort hotel worth the extra cost? It would be @ $250+ / night more to stay at the Grand Californian than the other hotel I'm currently looking at. Would love to hear some perspectives from those that have been there.
What do you think about a split stay? 2 days at GC and 2 at a good neighbor? That way we could enjoy the convenience and emh for at least 2 days. I guess I need to know how much you can get accomplished in that extra hour in the morning. With only 3 resort hotels it seems like the emh would be pretty empty compared to emh at WDW.
If you stay two nights at the GCH you will get three days of EE, Check-in day, day 2 and check-out day.
Depending on your end of summer dates, there may be a promotion running. Check this link out for Historical Discounts at the Resort. This will give you an idea of possible promotions.
https://www.mousesavers.com/disneyl...sked-questions-about-disneyland/#newdiscounts
You might save enough on a promotion to stay the entire trip at the GCH and not have to mess with a move.

Geemo

We got a standard room at the GCH for $318 the day after Labor Day in 2015, and while it was fun, I don't know if it was worth the money. Most of the things we enjoy about the hotel you can do without being a paying guest. I'd rather spend $100 less and stay across Harbor Blvd.

We got a standard room at the GCH for $318 the day after Labor Day in 2015, and while it was fun, I don't know if it was worth the money. Most of the things we enjoy about the hotel you can do without being a paying guest. I'd rather spend $100 less and stay across Harbor Blvd.

And that price is unheard of these days!

That's the kind of math the justified APs when we did our year of Disney 8/2016-8/2017. I have never stayed at Grand Legacy, always Best Western and once at Park Vue. We have stayed at GCH once with DVC points, and paid way too much for PPH one time. I can go more if I stay across the street and that includes airfare and park tickets. Speaking of Grand Legacy, have you stayed there before? I haven't, but booked there for July. The reviews are mixed so I'm hoping that I didn't make a mistake, I'm already going to be in the doghouse regarding breakfast, but I'm hoping that the pool will make up for it. Teens can be hard to please.

I have not stayed there since 2003 when it was the Ramada. I know they have completely remodeled since. I thought they did breakfast there??? That's not good if they don't. But we are driving so I will just pack breakfast foods.

After staying at the Grand our last several trips, I can’t imagine staying off site. At the risk of sounding obnoxious...I have just spoiled myself with the proximity to the parks. I find more value in that close proximity when I go with my kids. I’ve done adult only trips and distance doesn’t matter as much but it’s still so convenient. I think staying onsite is worth it!

Unlike at WDW, there are many off site hotels very close to the parks at DLR. We have only been there twice before since WDW is much closer, but the last time we went we stayed at Camelot Inn and it was about a 6-7 minute walk to the parks. IMO, it is not worth it to pay hundreds more to be on site. If we weren't DVC, I would definitely be staying off site.

Unlike at WDW, there are many off site hotels very close to the parks at DLR. We have only been there twice before since WDW is much closer, but the last time we went we stayed at Camelot Inn and it was about a 6-7 minute walk to the parks. IMO, it is not worth it to pay hundreds more to be on site. If we weren't DVC, I would definitely be staying off site.

To be fair, it’s not just about proximity. I mean, you’re kind of comparing apples to oranges. If you’re a family like mine (not park commandos), we enjoy spending a lot of down time at our hotel. The atmosphere and amenities at GCH are far superior to most off site hotels. We even stayed club level at our last visit and loved it. Obviously “worth it” is incredibly subjective, though, so I get what you’re saying. The prices are getting really, really high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter