• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got AP Rate. How to Use?

Paul Samanant

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We were able to get the Annual Passholder rate at the HRH for week of Jan 19($119 for standard room, cheaper thatn $134 ent rate). We will be arriving at HRH without the AP pass in hand.

Regardless of whether or not we purchased the pass in advance, at the Hotel, the stated policy is that you need buy the pass, but then to go to the guest services (inside the park); get your photo ID taken, and then take that back to the Hotel in order obtain the rate as you check in.

This seems like a waste of time and a cumbersome process. (So we go to the Hotel, they then hold our luggage while we walk to universal, go in and get "processed" but then go back out to the hotel. Has anyone done this before? Is there any way to make this process easier?

Thanks

Paul

paul: i am certainly not an authority on the issue as i asked this question about a month ago. i was told on these boards that it works just like disney's does. which the policy is to take your voucher to guest services and change it in for the actual AP. i was also told that not everyone was asked for their AP at check-in but that i should be prepared to leave my lugguage and make the trek to guest services if i was asked to do it. i know it seems like such a hassle. i think someone said something on these boards about buying an activated pass at the airport but that may have been just for disney. can someone please help him out?

I have heard of people just bringing the pass back later on to verify the rate. Not right away before checking in. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have stayed on-site at USO 15 times in the last few years and only once have I been asked to show whatever card it was to verify the discount I was using. That one time was at PBH using the ENT rate. I have even been checked in by managers and not been asked to show anything.

Did you get the passholder rate from the website or over the phone? I'm trying to get 1-2 nights in early February, but not having any luck on the website. The lowest that I've found is HRH standard for $149 APH rate. If I don't get a very good rate I will stay at WDW and drive to universal for a couple of days, but I would like to stay at Universal.

T&B

The check in dates are Jan 19. The APH rate was 119. The entertainment rate was 134. These rates were quoted by phone. Having said that, on Jan 24, there was a rate hike (and therefore we are moving over to the Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge for a couple of nights)

Guess I just need to call and find out if there are any good rates. I don't really mind staying at WDW so we don't have to pack up and move, but I've never gone to Universal without FOTL.

Thanks, T&B

FOTL is worth the hassle of moving. The Hard Rock is also such a nice hotel that a few extra bucks is workth it as well.

Originally posted by Paul Samanant
FOTL is worth the hassle of moving. The Hard Rock is also such a nice hotel that a few extra bucks is workth it as well.

I couldnt agree more Paul :D All 3 of the Universal hotels are right on par the with the deluxe resorts at Disney and even with the discounts not being as great as they were last year they are still a better rate than you get at Disney deluxe resorts. We always stay at Universal for the few days we do the parks there. We just booked the club level at RPR for $209 and I dont remeber ever seeing a Disney deluxe with concierge level that low.

I agree about the Universal hotels. We've stayed at RPR and HRH and will be staying at HRH this April. This trip, however, I will be there alone with my 4yo so moving is harder than when we all go. If I could get a $119 rate for my last night I would move, however.

We've stayed at many of the WDW deluxe resorts in the past (AKL, Poly, Contemporary, WL, Swan) and the Universal resorts are just as nice, if not nicer.

This trip next month I got AP rate at the new Pop Century ($49) and since I'm trying to keep the costs down I can't justify paying a lot at Universal. I'll call tomorrow and get the scoop on any discount that's not showing up on the website.

When we go in April to HRH we'll be paying an arm and a leg then...AAA rate of $242 + tax and we need two rooms. Yikes.

T&B

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter