Google has been collecting health data on millions of Americans

I agree @snappy
I like when big data helps but it all depends on WHO is holding the data and their INTENT. If the intent is to improve diagnostics, alleviate healthcare burnout, etc., that's great but not if they are going to deny coverage or increase insurance costs on pre-existing conditions.

This is where this will eventually end up. It’s like insurance companies putting monitoring devices into your car to see how you drive. At the end of the day healthcare costs will go up because folks are fearful of regulators and a single payer system. Google, Amazon, and Apple see dollar signs with healthcare, and they’re right. It’s going to be super lucrative.

Project NIghtingale whistleblower speaks out:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...als-concerns-Googles-Project-Nightingale.html
'Two simple questions kept hounding me: did patients know about the transfer of their data to the tech giant? Should they be informed and given a chance to opt in or out?' the whistleblower wrote.

'The answer to the first question quickly became apparent: no. The answer to the second I became increasingly convinced about: yes. Put the two together, and how could I say nothing?' the person continued.

The person said that about 150 Google employees and 100 Ascension staff collaborated on Project Nightingale, transferring the personal data of more than 50 million Americans to Google.

However, the whistleblower became convinced that the patient privacy and data security risks involved were too great to ignore.

'I’d like to hope that the result of my raising the lid on this issue will be open debate leading to concrete change,' the person wrote. 'Transfers of healthcare data to big tech companies need to be shared with the public and made fully transparent, with monitoring by an independent watchdog.'

The whistleblower also insisted: 'Patients must have the right to opt in or out.'

Pea, the most shocking part of stories like this any more is how little people seem to care.
One can care along with understanding there is nothing one can do about it.

What do you recommend we do? I can't afford the flight ticket to fly out and march into Google and beat them up or anything.

This already goes on today for Medicare patients. Data is sent from insurance companies to a third party, crunched, and reported to the government. It’s a requirement to sell Medicare plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter