Good Trip But Disney's Pay More For Less Business Plan Is Diluting The Magic

knk504

Earning My Ears
Frequent reader and rare poster here with a brief trip report. We (myself, wife, and 2 boys) arrived in Orlando on Saturday February 10 for a split stay at Universal and then Disney. We started at Universal and stayed at the Hard Rock because of its close proximity to the parks and City Walk. Our boys had not been to Universal and while we all enjoyed it, we still prefer the nostalgia of the Disney Parks (the Potter areas are amazing though). Having said that, the Hard Rock blows Disney accomodations away. The resort was what we exected for the price and the ability to walk to the parks and to non-themepark restaurants was worth every penny spent.

On to the Disney leg of the trip, the parks were more crowded than usual at this time of year (we go every 2 to 3 years) but we know how to work things and did everything we wanted multiple times with minimal waiting in lines (30 minutes is the most we'll wait). However, the sour taste in our mouth has to do with the pay more for less Disney trend, particularly when it comes to food and lodging. I have nothing bad to say about the parks. Pandora is simply amazing and we can't wait for the additions to Hollywood Studios. As to lodging, we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the safari views were amazing this time. However, given the price, the rooms are the farthest thing from being "deluxe." Our room at the lodge was more comparable to a cheap interstate inn than it was to the Hard Rock at Universal (which cost less). We understand that you are paying for the view but the rooms are beat up and the housekeeping is pathetic. In years past (we've stayed at multiple deluxe and moderate resorts) we enjoyed things such as turn-down service with chocolates bedside when we returned from the parks. That must be a thing of the past as we did not even have a tended to room every night of the stay, much less turn-down service. While the little things are not deal breakers for us, they are a must at the price point of a Disney deluxe resort.

As to the dining, Disney can get away with murder and is doing just that. We did not have any bad meals but none of the food is worth a fraction of what Disney is now charging.

Again, we had a really fun trip and the boys had yet another time of their life as the cost is not something they consider. However, our next Disney vacation will definitely be on the west coast (which we have not done yet) or on the seas (which we have done once and loved). In our opinion, the Disney company is walking on a slippery slope when it comes to charging more while providing less at Disney World. Although newcomers to the park don't recognize the cuts, the regulars do and it is starting to take away from the magic.

I agree this is why I have started taking fewer trips. The lack of what used to make Disney distinctive, it's guest service and time being able to have stellar "everything" seems to have become more of a rarity rather than normal. I no longer drag skeptical friends and family along with me as I can no longer guarantee that the service, food, and accommodations will be more than what they could receive anywhere else. I have been hoping for over 2 years that Disney will reach its tipping point and start seriously reviewing its practices, quality etc. and get back to the wonderfully consistent magical place it used to be.

Today was our last trip to Disney for a long time. After years of being annual pass holders and vacationing every year at the parks growing up, we have had enough. The parks carry no more magic in our eyes. As stated above the prices are out of control and customer service is at an all time low. The level of rudeness among guests is shocking. The attitude is "we paid for magic and damn it, we're going to get it", even if they have to run you over to get it. Not to mention English becoming the 2nd language being spoken.

We lasted a total of 2 hours today before I looked at my wife and said lets go. We will now let our pass expire without renewing for the first time in years. My kids did not argue about it either. I thought it would be a fight with them but at 17 and 12, they see the same thing as we see. We'll take a few cruises with hopes that being away from the parks will bring back the feeling.

Following up on the above, the following are some specifics.

The good:
  • Pandora - the Flight of Passage is amazing. The land, especially at night, is also amazing and the River ride is good but not worth a long wait. We did FOP via Fastpass and walked onto the River just as the park opened one morning. The food and beer at the counter service location was also very tasty.
  • Hoop Dee Doo - we had not been in a while but the show is as good as ever.
  • Minnie Van Service - it is a bit pricey but the Cast Member was great as was the convenience. We used it once to get back to the resort from Hoop Dee Doo.
  • Chef Art Smith's Homecoming - we went for a late lunch one afternoon and really enjoyed it.
The bad:
  • Food prices - we ate at Tuttu Italia one night and I had the lasagna, which was good but at nearly $30 cost double the amount that the same plate cost at the expensive Italian restaurant at home. This is just one example of food prices that are simply rip-offs that Disney can get away with because they have you trapped in the World.
  • The Animal Kingdom Lodge - we've stayed here before and enjoyed everything except for the distance to the Magic Kingdom. This time around the rooms were really starting to show their age, which is unacceptable at the price point. The beat up TV cabinet, which takes up half the room and houses a complete piece of junk TV, belongs in a Red Roof Inn, not a "deluxe" resort. The shower head was also garbage and made showering a young one very difficult. This, in connection with the poor housekeeping (I had to leave a note asking for additional coffee, etc.), assured that we won't go back to the Lodge. If they are going to charge the current prices, some of that money must be invested back into the resort and customer service instead of padding executive pockets.
Again, taking price and the lodging out of the picture, we had a good time at the parks. They were crowded but we expected that and had a good plan to do everything that we wanted. I miss the days of being able to wing it but the parks are still enjoyable so long as you go in with a plan. The main difference between this and past trips is that we are usually discussing the possibility of a return trip the following year on the drive home. This time around both my wife and I said it will be a while before we go back - mainly because of the pay more for less business plan that Disney is implementing when it comes to customer service.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter